End of Game and AARs

Variation in which the Zombies can move through water spaces. GM: EpicDim. Winner: condude1 (The Swiss Republic of Iberia)

End of Game and AARs

Postby EpicDim » 04 Apr 2014, 05:34

For the record, I instituted a new rule that if one player has over half the SCs the other remaining players can concede the game to create a solo.

Congratulations to condude1 for the solo. Xildur has conceded.

Thank you to all the players and please post your AARs and let us know what was going through your heads.

The Swiss Republic of Iberia: condude1 (NMRs: 1, 0 Major)
Solo!

Sjg's Empire: sjg11 (NMRs: 5, 1 Major)
Eliminated 1908

The Republic of Survivors: jqz1212jc (NMRs: 0)
Eliminated 1910

Pink Panthers: bluecuillin (NMRs: 3, 0 Major)
Eliminated 1910

Roman Empire: Xildur (NMRs: 2, 1 Major)
Survived!

Split Confederation: I Love Italy (NMRs: 0)
Eliminated 1907

Duchy of Normandy: Pagane (NMRs: 1, 1 Major)
Eliminated 1907
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo, Han (Warring States 2) Solo
EpicDim

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1169)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: End of Game and AARs

Postby I Love Italy » 04 Apr 2014, 06:15

I enjoyed this game. Despite losing most of my centers early on, being able to run around in the Balkans for a few years trying not to get chomped by zombies, or outwitted by other players was fun. Good game to everyone!
Last edited by I Love Italy on 04 Apr 2014, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby condude1 » 04 Apr 2014, 06:30

Woot! Although that was a forgegone conclusion in the last few years. My initial strategy was to choose a spot far away from zombies (my three center choices were out of zombie range immediately, no matter what happened with the other players.) It only helped that Pagane, Xildur, and Sjg chose spots around me. First thing, Pagane, when I asked you whether I could maneuver my units into a position that they could reach all your centers to help you, why did you accept? That was the first shock, that my '01 stab went through perfectly. Now I was a normal France after a good '01 (where there's no Germany!). My obvious enemy was Sjg, who was England, after I cleaned up enough zombies in Germany to give me a navy. Surprisingly, that stab worked perfectly also, although it wasn't quite as clean as the first one. After that, I think the game was in the bag and it was just technique. At a few points I had to take guesses about zombies, but I guessed right on both occasions, otherwise it might have turned out differently.

Sjg: Good game, you put up the most resistance this game, and a few times I thought you had me.
Pagane: Sorry :D What else can I say?
Xildur: You should have stabbed me when I was fighting Sjg. You were slightly overly focused on the East, and it allowed me to blossom uncontrollably.
Bluecuillin: You were a contender for it until I steamrolled my way through Germany and England. After that you were just outnumbered: well played.
Everyone else: I wasn't paying attention much, sorry :)

Great game guys, see you all later!
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)

Postby sjg11 » 04 Apr 2014, 07:17

condude1 wrote:Sjg: Good game, you put up the most resistance this game, and a few times I thought you had me.

I did tell Xildur, Pagane and Norway person you were the greater threat but Pagane and Norway person gave up too easily and Xildur was busy in the East.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Pagane » 04 Apr 2014, 15:59

I believed that the zombies were the greatest initial threat. I was wrong. After it became apparent that I could not recover from your stab, Condude, I tried slowing you down and hoping that zombies would cripple you. Didn't happen.

All in all, not one of my better games as far as major decisions go.

Good game, Condude!
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

Previously known as Santiago Matamoros.
Pagane

Standard rating: (1079)
All-game rating: (1085)

Postby condude1 » 04 Apr 2014, 16:49

Pagane wrote:I believed that the zombies were the greatest initial threat. I was wrong. After it became apparent that I could not recover from your stab, Condude, I tried slowing you down and hoping that zombies would cripple you. Didn't happen.

All in all, not one of my better games as far as major decisions go.

Good game, Condude!

For most people zombies were nasty, however, people are less random, and more deadly. And BTW, you did get the zombies to hurt me for a while vs. Sjg.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)

Postby EpicDim » 04 Apr 2014, 17:26

I Love Italy: I was impressed with how long you survived with your pretty horrible starting position and the fact that your neighbors did not seem inclined to help you. Congratulations on that.

sjg11: You turned on condude1 and then pretty much immediately had both bad luck with zombies and your "friendly" neighbors gobbled up your rear SCs hamstringing your ability to put up a fight.

Pagane: Big mistake, HUGE! Trust no one! :)

I'd like to thank everyone for keeping Civil Disorder to a minimum. I think my 24 hour grace period and public shaming of missing the deadlines seemed to work but only because you folks really seemed to care. Not including our abandoned player there were only 3 missed move deadlines and none of those went into Civil Disorder. Thank you again. The remaining 7 are welcome (and encouraged to play) in any of my games in the future. If you do have any feedback about my GMing, please post publicly or privately message me.
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo, Han (Warring States 2) Solo
EpicDim

Postby I Love Italy » 04 Apr 2014, 18:26

sjg11 wrote:
condude1 wrote:Sjg: Good game, you put up the most resistance this game, and a few times I thought you had me.

I did tell Xildur, Pagane and Norway person you were the greater threat but Pagane and Norway person gave up too easily and Xildur was busy in the East.

Hi. I'm Norway person. No, I didn't "give up" but simply disbanded my last unit in the north, which would've been destroyed next year anyway, so that I could have a chance of running around and grabbing some centers in the Balkans.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)

Postby Xildur » 05 Apr 2014, 05:17

From the beginning, I am quite happy with my position since it looks like Balkan area is mine to expand.
Because IMHO, Zombie would be handled easier than player territory.

So I made a deal with Condude in my West so I can concentrate to my East and hopefully I can win the race before him.
I am considering Condude as my wall at that time.

However, I don't think that Condude could get break through so quick and engulf Pagane and start attacking Sjg so quickly.

I think until 1905 it's still 3 powers to reckon with: me, Condude and bluecuillin.
Unfortunately, until 1907, bluecuilling still not engaging Condude and make him able to take out Pagane and Sjg.
At 1909, it's quite late for me to turn around and fight Condude since I will lose all my holding in Balkan if I do and still, it may not bring anything.

Luck also play with Condude expansion, I guess.
I have brought Zombie to Tyrolia twice in hoping that they can attack Munich and brought havoc to Condude expansion plan.
However, it's not working and I have trouble myself in Balkan area.

Condude: great player - you just rolled through the game and win this race between you and me
Sjg : It's very unfortunate that you, Pagane and bluecuillin can't stop Condude expansion. I have thought you can slow his expansion
jqz1212jc : Sorry, but I know that your only expansion is to Balkan and to me in the end, so I must eliminate him
bluecuillin : Very unfortunate that he didn't cooperate with either of his neighbors, if he did, the game would be different
I love Italy : I don't have opinion about you, except how unfortunate your position was.
Pagane : even after condude first stab, why didn't he coordinated with Sjg to stop condude

And for me, I wish I could have better strategy and timing. I will introspect myself and my strategy.
Just a Gamer looking for some fun
Xildur

Standard rating: (1046)
All-game rating: (1046)

Postby EpicDim » 08 Apr 2014, 16:33

For the record:
As a GM watching the game, I felt that the strength of these zombie rules was just about right. Sure zombies occasionally did well because of luck, because of bad player choices, and sometimes because of player help. Other than that the zombies seemed to be for the most part controllable and at least more predictable than the other players.

Question to players:
Based on your experiences in this game, do you think the zombies were too powerful, not powerful enough, or just about right?

Answers:
1) I think that the zombies weren't powerful enough, but were too concentrated in certain places (Balkans and Germany). Maybe making them have more power and more random of starts would be better.

2) I would say just about right.

3) although all the discussion pre game was that swimming zombies would be too strong and dominate play it didn't turn out that way. Sure they had a pretty major impact on me when three 50/50 zombie moves all went against me at once but they were all land zombies so it would have been the same in standard zombie (just my bad luck). probably needs another game or two to test it further but on balance so far I would say swimming zombies are about right. Now flying zombies ... that would be interesting.

4) I concur. It's about right and bring some chaos elements to the game.
Last edited by EpicDim on 08 Apr 2014, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
EpicDim

Next

Return to Game 3: Amphibious Zombies