1741: War of the Austrian Succession 2.0

7player variant with standard Diplomacy rules, devised and GMd by VaeVictus. Winner: Ottoman Empire (Pharaoh of nerds)
Enjoyment rating: :D :D :D :D

Re: 1741: War of the Austrian Succession 2.0

Postby Gooderian » 13 Jul 2013, 21:22

I have internet access, so the game can start.
Gold Classicist, and a member of the whippersnappers.
Remember, our country is called the Netherlands, not Holland!
Gooderian

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1059)
All-game rating: (1045)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby VaeVictis » 14 Jul 2013, 04:56

Alright, sounds good mambam.

With Fingon signing on as the seventh player we're set to begin as soon as Stanislaw and Fingon express country choices for the test game.
VaeVictis

Standard rating: (1248)
All-game rating: (1251)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Fingon888 » 20 Jul 2013, 05:59

Is this where you want us to discuss Vae?
King of Romania in HOTW
King of Poland-Lithuania and Elector of Saxony in 1700's HOTW
Fingon888

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (972)
All-game rating: (973)
Timezone: GMT

Postby VaeVictis » 20 Jul 2013, 06:48

I've made a few changes that I would like an opinion on. I personally believe that certain aspects need to be changed upon seeing some of the aggressive opening moves in the test game (thanks to the players, you did a great job in putting the map through a tough trial run). Particularly I am distressed by Austria's seeming weakness in Brussels, the possibility of too many powers having too many centers to begin with, and the makeup of SC's and non-SC's in Italy and Germany.

Below is a list of aspects that I desire for people to be especially mindful of when commenting:

-Austria's color has been changed to maroon because immaculate white was driving me crazy! Especially after other territories were colored in.

-I have extended English Channel to border the Netherlands in hope of protecting Brussels from an immediate threat from the North Sea and to ease tensions with Britain. I believe that this is especially important because of France's proximity to Brussels.

-Wurttemberg has replaced Palatinate as an SC to draw French attention away from Brussels. Otherwise, a French move to Palatinate should logically be accompanied with a move to Artois or Eng since Austria would be powerless to prevent Brussels' capture. This also leaves the door open for Britain to capture Netherlands most of the time.

-Hanover has been extended to border Netherlands. This is to compensate for Brussels' added security from the removal of Palatinate and the extension of Eng. This would allow a British player to take Netherlands with a bounce in Netherlands and a move to Nth followed by a 2-1 in the fall. The British player would be forced to forgo Denmark in order to make this move. That way such an aggressive move by Britain is not without its consequences. In addition, if Austria secures Netherlands in the Spring, Britain can bounce in Hanover from Nth and Den to guard her home center from Austrian treachery.

-Switzerland has been added to give France another build and the option to bounce an Austrian move of Agram-Vienna-Venice. An added threat of treachery that will hopefully serve to force more diplomacy between France and Austria.

-Poland has been cut in two, adding Poznan. This covers Budapest from a Prussian move to Poland and relieves initial tension (unless one intends early treachery to the other, at which point a move to Bohemia or Poznan will cause great trouble). It is still possible for Prussia to open aggressively by moving Kon-Poland and Breslau/Berlin-Poznan, attempting to secure Galicia as a build from Austria's possession. Austria would have to move Vienna-Buda to ensure that Galicia is held, otherwise good diplomacy must safeguard her against an aggressive Prussia.

-Tuscany has been merged into Papal States since it seemed a redundant province that served only to divide Italy into two separate realms; the north, where Austria and France will beat each other to death, and the south, where Spain can sit at ease waiting for the opportune moment to strike. With the Papal States now bordering both Venice and Savoy, it makes an ambitious Spanish opening of Val-Catalonia and Naples-Pap SC possible with the intent of capturing Marseilles or Savoy. It also allows two to gang up on the other and secure an extra build.

Last but not least are a set of questions that I am unsure of how to resolve.

-Should Britain and France have only 3 home centers to begin? This would ease the pressure on Germany that France can exert first year and make it such that Britain cannot secure 4 builds (which happened in the test game and would leave Britain in a very strong position leading into Spring 1742).

-Should Atlantic be divided into Mid and Atl, with both provinces bordering Portugal? This would allow Portugal to be captured by fleet action from the sea.

As always, please speak up and be heard! Your opinions are welcome.
VaeVictis

Postby VaeVictis » 20 Jul 2013, 07:04

On another, more trivial note, which of these icons do you prefer? The detailed or the color coded only? The 1st Rate Fleet or the 3rd Rate Fleet? The standard or the bronze cannon?

1741-Unit Comparisons 1.png

1741-Unit Comparisons 2.png

1741-Unit Comparisons 3.png
VaeVictis

Postby VaeVictis » 20 Jul 2013, 07:07

The OP has been amended with the new map.
VaeVictis

Postby Fingon888 » 20 Jul 2013, 07:10

I wasn't really paying attention to the east, but like you said England has the ability to be very strong. It might have been just good diplomacy, but I think it was how Austria couldn't hold Brussels and France needed to secure Brussels. Maybe if there was someone to threaten the Netherlands or if Prussia goes west England could be easily defeated. Also, Morocco can easily become a deadlock between the English and the Ottomans, so Spain is the deciding factor in who gets Morocco unless England and Turkey make a deal.

You asked me to play aggressively so I did. :D

(Advice made while looking at the old map.)
King of Romania in HOTW
King of Poland-Lithuania and Elector of Saxony in 1700's HOTW
Fingon888

Standard rating: (972)
All-game rating: (973)
Timezone: GMT

Postby EuropeDomination » 20 Jul 2013, 14:37

I think that Spain will always let Britain take Morrocco since it removes pressure from the SOuth, whereas the TUrkish Pressure is always there.
In a diplomatic pm, I told Britain that my intention was a Secure SOuthern Border.
Generation 34 (whenever you see this copy and paste it into your sig but add 1 to its total.)

My Don't Backstab Me Policy: Any Backstab on me will lead to me allowing another enemy to completely take over the rest of my SCs while making sure that the stabber gets nothing to little.
EuropeDomination

Standard rating: (944)
All-game rating: (907)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Shibabalo » 20 Jul 2013, 14:53

First off, let me say that I really really like this variant.

Second off, there is one change I would like to see made in particular: the joining on Courland and Moscow. (And the separation of St. Pete and Lithuania.)

Here's why: As I was considering openings as Russia, it seems to me like I had three major options: one, move Moscow up to make a play for Norway; two, move to Don Voisko and make a play for Crimea, or three, move to Ukraine and support myself into Galicia, which I did.

I couldn't see a real anti-Prussian option, besides moving St. Pete to Courland, but I wasn't going to do that because that gives up Sweden, a guaranteed build. So, with Courland and Moscow combined, Russia can move Moscow to Courland, and Kiev to Lithuania, which increases tension between Prussia and Russia, strengthening Austria in turn.
SOLO- Baltic, Double Diplomacy
Draw- Layered, Dip Lite, 1700, Zeus, Simple, 1900 S&S
Loss- Some games

Classicist, Whippersnapper, Swag Bagel
Shibabalo

Standard rating: (950)
All-game rating: (1222)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 20 Jul 2013, 15:00

VaeVictus wrote:-Should Britain and France have only 3 home centers to begin? This would ease the pressure on Germany that France can exert first year and make it such that Britain cannot secure 4 builds (which happened in the test game and would leave Britain in a very strong position leading into Spring 1742).

I think so. I like Britain having Gibraltar, so perhaps you could make Hanover a non-SC. Alternatively you could make Liverpool not a SC and have Edinburgh supply Gibraltar.
For France, you should make Straslund an non-SC, fold Burgundy into Marseilles, and make Marseilles an army.

VaeVictus wrote:-Should Atlantic be divided into Mid and Atl, with both provinces bordering Portugal? This would allow Portugal to be captured by fleet action from the sea.

If you want to do that you could extend Bay of Biscay to make it border Portugal, but the way you described would isolate Gibraltar from the rest of Britain and make Britain and France too far away from the Med.
GM Evil vs Evil vs Evil vs 'MURIKA
Creator + Britain 1930s World
Creator 1700, 1933, 1914 World
Japan in Zeus
Britain in 1900: Stars and Stripes
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Yellow in City-States and Zombies
Pharaoh of nerds

Standard rating: (1000)