1741: War of the Austrian Succession 2.0

7player variant with standard Diplomacy rules, devised and GMd by VaeVictus. Winner: Ottoman Empire (Pharaoh of nerds)
Enjoyment rating: :D :D :D :D

Re: 1741: War of the Austrian Succession 2.0

Postby Gooderian » 12 Jul 2013, 18:04

Pharaoh of nerds wrote:
mambam14 wrote:Why is nantes not adjacent to atlantic?

Now, the fleet there can only bounce with london in the channel, or move to the bay of biscay which is not liked by spain.

With nantes adjacent to atlantic, the fleet can also compete for portugal and morocco, (giving it more diplomatic options) and it has more movement options.

That would allow Britain to move 2 fleets bordering Nantes in the first turn, of which France could only bounce 1 or, if they didn't see it coming, none.


good idea.
Gold Classicist, and a member of the whippersnappers.
Remember, our country is called the Netherlands, not Holland!
User avatar
Gooderian
 
Posts: 2770
Joined: 16 Nov 2011, 20:32
Location: Right here. Or over there. Whatever makes me win.
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1059)
All-game rating: (1045)
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: 1741: War of the Austrian Succession 2.0

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 12 Jul 2013, 18:05

mambam14 wrote:
Pharaoh of nerds wrote:
mambam14 wrote:Why is nantes not adjacent to atlantic?

Now, the fleet there can only bounce with london in the channel, or move to the bay of biscay which is not liked by spain.

With nantes adjacent to atlantic, the fleet can also compete for portugal and morocco, (giving it more diplomatic options) and it has more movement options.

That would allow Britain to move 2 fleets bordering Nantes in the first turn, of which France could only bounce 1 or, if they didn't see it coming, none.


good idea.

Wait, no! I was saying I think that's a bad thing!
GM Evil vs Evil vs Evil vs 'MURIKA
Creator + Britain 1930s World
Creator 1700, 1933, 1914 World
Japan in Zeus
Britain in 1900: Stars and Stripes
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Yellow in City-States and Zombies
User avatar
Pharaoh of nerds
 
Posts: 676
Joined: 23 May 2010, 20:34
Location: Sector 001
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (972)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 1741: War of the Austrian Succession 2.0

Postby VaeVictis » 12 Jul 2013, 18:21

I like your thinking mambam14, it reminds me of 1900 where that move is possible. This makes for some interesting Diplomacy and early trust or betrayal. However, there is one thing 1900 has that this variant doesn't: Germany. Germany in 1900 is end heavy on its western spaces making it more of a western oriented power than eastern. Prussia in this game is more directed toward the east and has no play in Denmark or the Low Countries. Due to a lack of a German threat to the North Sea, Britain could, and I dare say often would, submit those aggressive orders that could wreck France early on. France would also have very little chance at either Portugal or Morocco since three powers already border them to begin with. Sorry if this feels like I'm piling on, but I just want to get my thoughts out in the open and explain my reasoning.
VaeVictis
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: 30 Dec 2012, 01:57
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1248)
All-game rating: (1251)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: 1741: War of the Austrian Succession 2.0

Postby VaeVictis » 12 Jul 2013, 18:29

New map posted on the OP. Galicia is added to Poland to give Austria a chance at a Polish SC and to intensify the Prussian-Russian-Austrian triangle. I think that Galicia will also cause Austria to make some interesting choices early in the game. Though Austria can conceivably capture 4 centers first turn, it would be exceedingly difficult without very crafty diplomacy. I figure they are guaranteed at least two, possibly three, with an outside chance at four. If Austria chooses to pursue Galicia, she must support with another army to prevent Prussia from snatching it away, leaving Bavaria or Venice untouched. Also, a move by France into Palatinate threatens Brussels and makes it more difficult to secure the Netherlands. Therefore, a safe opening for Austria would probably result in Bavaria and Venice, with a possible chance at either Brussels or Galicia.

Prussia is also now dark navy blue because I think the color suits the Eastern German kingdom better than Imperial German Grey.
VaeVictis
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: 30 Dec 2012, 01:57
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1248)
All-game rating: (1251)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: 1741: War of the Austrian Succession 2.0

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 12 Jul 2013, 18:33

VaeVictus wrote:New map posted on the OP. Galicia is added to Poland to give Austria a chance at a Polish SC and to intensify the Prussian-Russian-Austrian triangle. I think that Galicia will also cause Austria to make some interesting choices early in the game. Though Austria can conceivably capture 4 centers first turn, it would be exceedingly difficult without very crafty diplomacy. I figure they are guaranteed at least two, possibly three, with an outside chance at four. If Austria chooses to pursue Galicia, she must support with another army to prevent Prussia from snatching it away, leaving Bavaria or Venice untouched. Also, a move by France into Palatinate threatens Brussels and makes it more difficult to secure the Netherlands. Therefore, a safe opening for Austria would probably result in Bavaria and Venice, with a possible chance at either Brussels or Galicia.

Prussia is also now dark navy blue because I think the color suits the Eastern German kingdom better than Imperial German Grey.

The more I look at it, the more I like it.
GM Evil vs Evil vs Evil vs 'MURIKA
Creator + Britain 1930s World
Creator 1700, 1933, 1914 World
Japan in Zeus
Britain in 1900: Stars and Stripes
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Yellow in City-States and Zombies
User avatar
Pharaoh of nerds
 
Posts: 676
Joined: 23 May 2010, 20:34
Location: Sector 001
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (972)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 1741: War of the Austrian Succession 2.0

Postby VaeVictis » 12 Jul 2013, 18:40

Pharaoh of nerds wrote:The more I look at it, the more I like it.


I'm glad to hear it. Now to take a seventh player hostage and force him to play...
VaeVictis
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: 30 Dec 2012, 01:57
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1248)
All-game rating: (1251)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: 1741: War of the Austrian Succession 2.0

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 12 Jul 2013, 18:41

VaeVictus wrote:
Pharaoh of nerds wrote:The more I look at it, the more I like it.


I'm glad to hear it. Now to take a seventh player hostage and force him to play...

Try PMing everyone who played in 1700
GM Evil vs Evil vs Evil vs 'MURIKA
Creator + Britain 1930s World
Creator 1700, 1933, 1914 World
Japan in Zeus
Britain in 1900: Stars and Stripes
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Yellow in City-States and Zombies
User avatar
Pharaoh of nerds
 
Posts: 676
Joined: 23 May 2010, 20:34
Location: Sector 001
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (972)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 1741: War of the Austrian Succession 2.0

Postby VaeVictis » 12 Jul 2013, 18:43

Not a bad idea. I'll get on that.
VaeVictis
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: 30 Dec 2012, 01:57
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1248)
All-game rating: (1251)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: 1741: War of the Austrian Succession 2.0

Postby glacier777 » 12 Jul 2013, 22:04

Russia seems very weak. I think English take-over of Scandinavia is still an issue too.

Maybe make Prussia start with F Ber instead? England's Scandinavian dominance is reduced slightly Prussia is less likely to go all out against Russia in the first year.
Back on PlayDip after a 3 year hiatus

Silver member of the Classicists
User avatar
glacier777
 
Posts: 557
Joined: 06 Jan 2013, 19:40
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1264)
All-game rating: (1278)
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: 1741: War of the Austrian Succession 2.0

Postby VaeVictis » 13 Jul 2013, 03:55

glacier777 wrote:Russia seems very weak. I think English take-over of Scandinavia is still an issue too.

Maybe make Prussia start with F Ber instead? England's Scandinavian dominance is reduced slightly Prussia is less likely to go all out against Russia in the first year.


I actually disagree with you, though I appreciate your concern. That was a problem earlier and Britain would have undoubtedly swept aside any feeble Russian attempts to hold sway over the region. With the current setup, I believe Britain will actually have a more difficult time capturing Scandinavia than in reg Dip (hard to really tell until it has been played). Due to the addition of Scania covering all of the Swedish coast from Norway's coast, Denmark and Skaggerack, Britain would have to convoy an army to Norway second year or somehow gain access to the Baltic to take Sweden. In reg Dip, an English player can take Sweden if he really sets his mind to it (in my opinion too easily), but hopefully in this variant Russia can get another fleet or army to back up Sweden by second year to give them a fighting chance in Scandinavia.
VaeVictis
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: 30 Dec 2012, 01:57
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1248)
All-game rating: (1251)
Timezone: GMT-6

PreviousNext

Return to 1740 : War of the Austrian Succession [1 Game]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest