Condude's Mafia Game Design Emporium

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: sjg11, Zoomzip, bkbkbk, Telleo, condude1

Condude's Mafia Game Design Emporium

Postby condude1 » 26 Jun 2019, 02:24

Hi everyone!

I always have really enjoyed coming up with mafia game designs. I have Oh my god way more than I thought a couple kicking around from old times, and I love trying to think up new designs. So I decided that I'd create a list of the games/ideas I have, and allow people who want to GM them to use them. There's no point letting fun ideas gather dust! Please post below if you want the rules (public and/or hidden). Please only ask for the hidden rules if you seriously intend to run one of the games, and only after you've taken a look through the public rules. I don't want to just link all the public rules below for fear that the designs will become overthought by every Playdipper.

You're entirely free to modify the games in whatever way you like! If you want to send me an idea you have for a game, but don't want to run, I'll include it! I won't be playing any games in the near future, so you can send me hidden rules no problem. This also works if you have an amazing idea but want to play the game yourself! You can send me the design, and someone else might pick it up and create hidden rules for it!

Legend:
Full or Nearly Full information games are coloured blue. These games will be based around a fun mechanic, and all players will have access to all the information in the game at all times(except for the identity of the mafia). These can generally be easily modified to include roles if the GM would prefer a more chaotic game. An example of a blue game would be Hot Potato Mafia.
Games with Roles are coloured green. These games generally have a mechanic central to the game, but also have roles supporting that mechanic. Roles shouldn't take centre stage, but exist and complement the main mechanic of the game, or are created by the main mechanic.
Role Heavy Games are coloured red. These games centre around roles or items, and there is a huge amount of hidden information. The day phase is still important, but often events at night will become integral to the game.
Bastard Mechanics are coloured purple. Expect anything at night or during the day. Resurrections, GM shenanigans, false role PMs etc. are all fair game. An example of a purple game would be Improvised Mafia (GM was the big bad scum).

Completed Designs
Games in this section could be placed into the Pending Games thread tomorrow. Roles are completely finished if applicable, and rules are in a finalized state.
The Necromancer: A game themed around a fantasy, D&Desque adventure. Every player gets a role, corresponding to a D&D class. A hitpoint system allows for more nuanced roles than a typical mafia game. There are several very fun new abilities present in the game, and most players have several abilities to choose from each night.

Finished Rulesets:
Designs in this category have complete and functional public rulesets with many possibilities, but none of the behind-the-scenes options made up. If a player asks, I can finish the hidden mechanics for them, or they can take the rules and make their own roles. These games are excellent for players who are looking for a fun way to add their creativity to a functioning game design.
Planeswalker Mafia: A Magic: The Gathering themed game oriented around the planeswalker system. Players get roles with "Loyalty counters" and at least 2 options to use them. If the counters reach 0, the player dies. Generally at least one ability increases loyalty counters, while at least one reduces them, but is more powerful. Players generally get a third option that massively reduces loyalty counters in exchange for a very powerful ability. Taken by Telleo!

Mythic Mafia: Another fantasy themed game (What can I say? I like fantasy!), where cultists release all flavours of monsters on the town, rather than directly killing them. Effectively just a fun and creative change to the normal nightkill, roles centered around this mechanic can have quite a bit of variety, perhaps including positive interactions with certain monsters.

Tower Mafia: Ruleset was lost with an old laptop that died, but I can easily remake it in full form. Player run a gauntlet of rooms designed to run like mini-games at night. Poor decisions, timing, or co-ordination result in players falling floors. If a player falls too far, they fall out the bottom of the floating tower and die. Roles are optional, but there is enough hidden material for this game to get a green colour.

In development:
Games in this section are in the pondering phase. No ruleset has been written up yet, and there may still be gaping holes in the game design.
Telephone Mafia: At the start of every day, one player chooses roles for every player. They PM the next player in line the roles they chose, and that player makes adjustments. This continues until the last player submits roles to the GM.

Considerations: How to stop towns from breaking it by naming ridiculously powerful roles. Recommended workaround would be to somehow give mafia a way to mess that up without being caught. A forger role of some sort that is allowed to change X words in up to three roles?

Virus Mafia: A remnant from when Condude took biochemistry. Themed around a virus that infects other players. Roles are cytotoxic and helper T cells. Cytotoxic cells are unkillable, but start the game inactive. Helper T's activate cytotoxic cells. Cytotoxic cells kill infected cells at night. Rules are half finished.

Considerations: Balance is tricky. Virus can snowball and win in a landslide vs. a slow town, but town has the chance for a very quick win. Kind of swingy, but this could be ameliorated with proper changes.

Reruns:
Games in this section have been run before, and have high replayability value.

Hot Potato Mafia: An excellent anti-lurker design that gives the town a huge amount of information each day. No nightkill and a potential explosion of mafia means a very low town:mafia ratio should be used (8:4 was considered slightly town-sided).

Recommendations: Very few. The first run went great. This is a great game to run for newer GMs, requiring very little extra work when compared to a normal game, and the anti-lurker aspect makes it require fewer subs (Inactive players can go boom).

A Shot in the Dark Mafia: A game where the mafia do not know the person who performs the kill for them. The design was very good, but inactivity really hurt the first iteration.

Recommendations: Run it without roles. There's really no need for them, and it makes the game extraordinarily easy to GM. Perfect for a newer GM and/or a newbie game if run without roles.

Big, Medium, Small Mafia: A game where night vulnerability and voting power are inversely proportional. Fun idea, but prone to being solved if done incorrectly (as in the second iteration).

Recommendations: Randomize everyone's sizes. No solving can be done, and the game runs as it should.

Games from Other PlayDippers:
These are games sent in by other people on the site and are not necessarily edited by Condude.

None yet!

Any other Condude-created games are public domain now as well. If anyone wishes to rerun one of my designs, let me know, and feel free to do what you want with them!
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Condude's Mafia Game Design Emporium

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 26 Jun 2019, 02:58

Marking. Condude has been kind enough to give me one of his half finished setups, that I’ll be hammering out the rest of sometime soonish.

Probably will add some of my games/ideas here at some point too, since I don’t necessarily have time to run or build all the games I think of/find interesting.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1413
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Condude's Mafia Game Design Emporium

Postby condude1 » 26 Jun 2019, 03:28

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Marking. Condude has been kind enough to give me one of his half finished setups, that I’ll be hammering out the rest of sometime soonish.

Probably will add some of my games/ideas here at some point too, since I don’t necessarily have time to run or build all the games I think of/find interesting.

Great! Any game ideas you have are welcome!

For anyone curious, Nanook took a green game from the finished rulesets category. It has a really fun mechanic in it too!
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Return to Mafia