Social Thread

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: bkbkbk, Telleo, condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip

Re: Social Thread

Postby Keirador » 25 Apr 2018, 20:59

Parabellum wrote:I did science olympiad, too! Name That Organism sounds tough! My events were much easier. I did an "astronomy" one where I had to memorize a bunch of stars and constellations, and I did a couple of others I don't remember. I've always been fascinated by astronomy, though. For example, the images we get from the deep space telescope... that light is coming from galaxies 13 billion (with a b!!) light years away. That means... we're looking back in time 13 billion (with a b!!) years. And we're seeing galaxies remote and full of wonders that we'll never know... it's just amazing.

This puts me in mind of one of my favorite comics.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Zoomzip » 25 Apr 2018, 21:00

The sky is not black as night during totality, but it is a dark blue I don't think I've ever seen in nature before. It is... amazing. I mean, as Kim is pointing out, we spent something like 20 hours of travel for an event that took 4-5 minutes, and it was totally worth it.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)

Postby kimpossible » 25 Apr 2018, 21:06

Zoomzip wrote:The sky is not black as night during totality, but it is a dark blue I don't think I've ever seen in nature before. It is... amazing. I mean, as Kim is pointing out, we spent something like 20 hours of travel for an event that took 4-5 minutes, and it was totally worth it.

I'd call it closer to 30 hours. It was a good 11 from home TO Paducah, and then that much again just to get to friggin Lexington. And then like 6 more back to DC.

The other thing I remember was how it got cold. I had been dying in the heat not long before, and while it didn't get frigid, the cooling of the air was noticeable. The way everything sped up during the last minute of approaching totality, and the way you could SEE the movement whereas before it had been pretty imperceptible. So, so worth the travel involved.

Plus we learned that we wouldn't hate each other after almost 30 hours in a car together, so that was good. ;)
Aspiring Member of the Classicists!
Proudly part of the ftf tournament community

Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness

Her?
kimpossible

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby kimpossible » 25 Apr 2018, 21:07

Keirador wrote:
Parabellum wrote:I did science olympiad, too! Name That Organism sounds tough! My events were much easier. I did an "astronomy" one where I had to memorize a bunch of stars and constellations, and I did a couple of others I don't remember. I've always been fascinated by astronomy, though. For example, the images we get from the deep space telescope... that light is coming from galaxies 13 billion (with a b!!) light years away. That means... we're looking back in time 13 billion (with a b!!) years. And we're seeing galaxies remote and full of wonders that we'll never know... it's just amazing.

This puts me in mind of one of my favorite comics.

:lol:

Her?
kimpossible

Postby Keirador » 25 Apr 2018, 21:29

Zoomzip wrote:The sky is not black as night during totality, but it is a dark blue I don't think I've ever seen in nature before. It is... amazing. I mean, as Kim is pointing out, we spent something like 20 hours of travel for an event that took 4-5 minutes, and it was totally worth it.

Hmm. Were you in an urban area? Out in the middle of nowhere, Oregon, we could see a bunch of stars. Not NEARLY as many as we would have been able to see in the actual night time in the wilderness but like. . . not super different from the actual night sky from within a big city. It kinda looked to us like dawn had just broken, but from all the directions we could see, coming at you from all angles. Definitely much more "night" than "cloudy day."
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Postby Keirador » 25 Apr 2018, 21:41

kimbyrle wrote:

I'd call it closer to 30 hours. It was a good 11 from home TO Paducah, and then that much again just to get to friggin Lexington. And then like 6 more back to DC.

The other thing I remember was how it got cold. I had been dying in the heat not long before, and while it didn't get frigid, the cooling of the air was noticeable. The way everything sped up during the last minute of approaching totality, and the way you could SEE the movement whereas before it had been pretty imperceptible. So, so worth the travel involved.

Plus we learned that we wouldn't hate each other after almost 30 hours in a car together, so that was good. ;)

The cold surprised me the second-most, behind the weird shadow effects. I would guess we had gained something like 1,500 - 2,000 feet of elevation, so it was already on the chilly side. The eclipse had us and everybody around us shivering; almost nobody thought to bring coats anywhere in summer.
Keirador

Postby kimpossible » 25 Apr 2018, 21:53

Keirador wrote:

Hmm. Were you in an urban area? Out in the middle of nowhere, Oregon, we could see a bunch of stars. Not NEARLY as many as we would have been able to see in the actual night time in the wilderness but like. . . not super different from the actual night sky from within a big city. It kinda looked to us like dawn had just broken, but from all the directions we could see, coming at you from all angles. Definitely much more "night" than "cloudy day."

Not nearly urban, but not as middle-of-nowhere as you were. I do think we saw some stars, just probably not as many as you did.

THOUGHT about getting up and driving to a national park the morning of the eclipse, but ultimately decided staying and exploring Paducah beforehand was more interesting. Don't regret any of those decisions.

Her?
kimpossible

Postby Keirador » 25 Apr 2018, 22:22

We were pretty sure we weren't going to get lodging in like Salem or any actual town in the line of the eclipse, so we just stayed with family in Portland, got up not too awfully early and literally just started driving southeast, equipped with eclipse mapper apps. If a road didn't appear on Google Maps but also didn't appear to be a dead-end, we took it. Combination of heading toward the line of totality and taking unnamed roads just plopped us into a state park, on a scenic cut-out from the road on a mountainside with like half a dozen other cars who seemed like they'd followed our approach and a dozen or so EXTREMELY well-prepared cyclist/campers who seemed rather put-out that their carefully selected spot was accessible by car to idiots. They did not share their telescopes, which had been pre-calibrated to view specific constellations and planets. A lot of gasps about what a rare treat it was to see Mercury through a telescope. . . kinda ignoring the fiery white ring in the sky where the sun used to be. Missing the forest for the trees, y'ask me.
Keirador

Postby kimpossible » 25 Apr 2018, 22:32

Oh, did you see the solar flares? A couple standing next to us loaned us their binoculars (completely unasked, very kind of them) to get a better look, but there were solar flares visible to the naked eye. Whorls and loops coming out of that black disc.

Her?
kimpossible

Postby Keirador » 25 Apr 2018, 22:41

We had some super-strong binoculars but yeah, visible to the naked eye. I also used the word "whorl" I think. Ha, yeah, my sister lives directly on the line of totality for the 2024 eclipse, and I previewed the experience to her as "a brilliantly white, almost blue-white ring in the night sky, with a sharply defined inner boundary and an outer boundary that spills off into whorling tendrils and filaments of light."
Keirador

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia