Social Thread

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: condude1, bkbkbk, sjg11, Zoomzip, Telleo

Re: Social Thread

Postby kimpossible » 25 Apr 2018, 15:02

Parabellum wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:I probably would have liked the astronomy one too! I've always loved stars and constellations.

Did you get to see the eclipse last year? ZZ and I drove out to Paducah, KY to be in the path of totality. It was... wow. Words are insufficient. We're already talking about going to Erie, PA in 2024 for the next one.

No way! My dad’s whole family is in Paducah. They all saw it.

I actually live within the path of totality. It was raining. Crowds and crowds of tourists from every corner of the globe got to see rain clouds get slightly darker. Sooooo that was great.

Omg that's so random! It was entirely a "Hey, let's take a road trip together and see this thing, how about the Midwest, how about this tiny town over here?" We expected huge crowds, but it was actually a very comfortable level. We sat right down by the Ohio waterfront and had a spectacular view.

Paducah was super thrilled about the tourism, they had branded eclipse glasses and eclipse specials at all the downtown restaurants. Total Eclipse of the Tart at the ice cream shop, that sort of thing. We also went to the Quilt Museum, which was way more interesting than I expected.
Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Parabellum » 25 Apr 2018, 15:40

kimbyrle wrote:
Parabellum wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:I probably would have liked the astronomy one too! I've always loved stars and constellations.

Did you get to see the eclipse last year? ZZ and I drove out to Paducah, KY to be in the path of totality. It was... wow. Words are insufficient. We're already talking about going to Erie, PA in 2024 for the next one.

I actually live within the path of totality. It was raining. Crowds and crowds of tourists from every corner of the globe got to see rain clouds get slightly darker. Sooooo that was great.

Omg that's so random! It was entirely a "Hey, let's take a road trip together and see this thing, how about the Midwest, how about this tiny town over here?" We expected huge crowds, but it was actually a very comfortable level. We sat right down by the Ohio waterfront and had a spectacular view.

Paducah was super thrilled about the tourism, they had branded eclipse glasses and eclipse specials at all the downtown restaurants. Total Eclipse of the Tart at the ice cream shop, that sort of thing. We also went to the Quilt Museum, which was way more interesting than I expected.

Haha. My Grandma and my aunts have lived in Paducah their whole lives, and they still go to the quilt museum 2-3 times a year. They love it. That ice cream shop is great... did you go to Starnes BBQ? That’s Paducah’s pride and joy. Vinegary, peppery sauce, and delicious pulled pork. I think it’s only like 2 or 3 doors down from the ice cream place that’s right on the river.

I have a lot of memories of that town.
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
Parabellum

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (969)
All-game rating: (956)

Postby kimpossible » 25 Apr 2018, 15:53

Parabellum wrote:Haha. My Grandma and my aunts have lived in Paducah their whole lives, and they still go to the quilt museum 2-3 times a year. They love it. That ice cream shop is great... did you go to Starnes BBQ? That’s Paducah’s pride and joy. Vinegary, peppery sauce, and delicious pulled pork. I think it’s only like 2 or 3 doors down from the ice cream place that’s right on the river.

I have a lot of memories of that town.

No! Damn, we love pulled pork with Carolina sauce. We went to a downtown Italian place instead, and it was also really good. They made their own pasta and sauces, really yummy.

I was absolutely fascinated by the ice cream. Pour cream on an anti-griddle, spread, scrape up. I never imagined you could make ice cream without a churn.

There was a special eclipse quilt at the museum, which was really cool. I brought home a postcard of it for my fridge. But what was most amazing to me was the microquilts. Like, tiny little 1" squares or even smaller, stitched so fine they must have been working with a really powerful magnifying glass and a hair-thin needle. I wouldn't want to do it, but the skill involved blew me away.

Her?
kimpossible

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 25 Apr 2018, 15:55

Parabellum wrote:

I live in its path. It was a beautiful day out, and it was pretty damn breathtaking.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389

Postby kimpossible » 25 Apr 2018, 15:58

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
Parabellum wrote:

I live in its path. It was a beautiful day out, and it was pretty damn breathtaking.

Did you notice the crickets start up? That was amazing. Like they just flipped a switch and BAM. Crickets.

Apparently (and I'm relying on ZZ for this info, but he was reading tons of online articles so I think it's accurate) scientists weren't actually certain whether the crickets would chirp or not, whether they are light-based on circadian rhythm-based. I guess that demonstrated they base it on light.

Her?
kimpossible

Postby kimpossible » 25 Apr 2018, 16:05

The worst part of that whole trip was when we left right afterward to get to Lexington, where we had a hotel reservation. It should have been a 3-hour drive, and ZZ was all excited to get authentic hot brown. Instead it took 11 fucking hours, with Waze constantly rerouting us onto more and more backwater roads to avoid the interstate, and me in a state of "I WILL KILL SOMEONE" (low blood sugar means Kim does not handle long stretches of hunger particularly well) by the time we gave up on making it to Lexington in time for dinner and stopped at a random pizza place instead.

Next time we'll just stay in a hotel the night after the eclipse and wait until the next day to let the throngs of people leaving the path thin out a bit.

Her?
kimpossible

Postby shadowface » 25 Apr 2018, 17:22

We got a 90% eclipse or something like that in Vancouver. I still looked at it through a welding mask and it was amazing!

Maybe I will try to get to totality for the one in 2024 - definitely something on the bucket list! Except 2024 is so far away... I'll be done all my school by then so I have no idea how my life will be or how close I will be to it :D
The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

sjg11 wrote:You seem almost intelligent
shadowface

Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Keirador » 25 Apr 2018, 20:46

kimbyrle wrote:Did you notice the crickets start up? That was amazing. Like they just flipped a switch and BAM. Crickets.

Apparently (and I'm relying on ZZ for this info, but he was reading tons of online articles so I think it's accurate) scientists weren't actually certain whether the crickets would chirp or not, whether they are light-based on circadian rhythm-based. I guess that demonstrated they base it on light.

Birds, too. I watched from a mountainside directly in the middle of the path of totality in a state park in Oregon. We were just the tiniest bit nervous, because we were bringing our dog and there had been some speculation that dogs may notice the eclipse and look at it, hurting their eyes. Silly, but still. Instead, the dog (who even at 18 months old was extremely obedient, habit-based, and predictable) just looked around, and upon observing that it had become dark, curled up and went to sleep. When it ended and the glorious bright sunny day came back, he stood up, did a biiiiiiiiig ol' morning stretch (word of the day: pandiculation), yawned, tried (unsuccessfully) to pee, and then started sniffing around for (second) breakfast. He just rolled with it. It. . . it was almost as amazing as the eclipse itself.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby Zoomzip » 25 Apr 2018, 20:52

Keirador wrote:Birds, too. I watched from a mountainside directly in the middle of the path of totality in a state park in Oregon. We were just the tiniest bit nervous, because we were bringing our dog and there had been some speculation that dogs may notice the eclipse and look at it, hurting their eyes. Silly, but still. Instead, the dog (who even at 18 months old was extremely obedient, habit-based, and predictable) just looked around, and upon observing that it had become dark, curled up and went to sleep. When it ended and the glorious bright sunny day came back, he stood up, did a biiiiiiiiig ol' morning stretch (word of the day: pandiculation), yawned, tried (unsuccessfully) to pee, and then started sniffing around for (second) breakfast. He just rolled with it. It. . . it was almost as amazing as the eclipse itself.

This is a fantastic story.

Man the eclipse was cool. One of the things I am happiest we've done and took time to plan out.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)

Postby Keirador » 25 Apr 2018, 20:55

shadowface wrote:

We got a 90% eclipse or something like that in Vancouver. I still looked at it through a welding mask and it was amazing!

Maybe I will try to get to totality for the one in 2024 - definitely something on the bucket list! Except 2024 is so far away... I'll be done all my school by then so I have no idea how my life will be or how close I will be to it :D

I can't stress enough how different 100% is from even 99%. Seattle had even better than 90%, and our friends who stayed here reported that if you weren't specifically watching the sun with proper equipment, you wouldn't have noticed. Like, plenty of people didn't, they just went about their day and missed it. From totality, though, it becomes night time for a few minutes, there are weird and eerie visual effects around shadows, and the sun turns into a bright white ring of fire. It's the sort of thing that makes you go "oohhhhhkay, I see why ancient civilizations saw eclipses as a legit reason to brutally murder the reigning king for having lost the favor of the gods."
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia