Social Thread

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: Telleo, condude1, bkbkbk, Zoomzip, sjg11

Re: Social Thread

Postby Parabellum » 24 Apr 2018, 21:54

shadowface wrote:
Parabellum wrote:But speaking of the rat race, my accounting job was at a Catholic, liberal arts college, too. In addition to the position's normal duties, I oversaw data migration for and implementation of a new accounting software as part of our campus-wide ERP conversion. It was great for my resume, and that part of it was actually really fun. I like puzzles. However, once that was over and I resumed the normal accounting life... I was bored out of my mind. I wouldn't wish a daily 8 hours of excel on my worst enemy.

Amen. I've taken accounting as part of my business degree, and despite it being one of my top grades, it's something I would never pursue. I think it's important to have a solid foundation in understanding how accounting works, but it is boring as hell. Probably boringer than hell actually.

Finance is fun though - it's similar to accounting but there is an actual objective and a lot of problem solving.

Yeah, finance is fun. I won't argue there.
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
Parabellum

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (969)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby shadowface » 24 Apr 2018, 21:59

kimbyrle wrote:
Parabellum wrote:
shadowface wrote:I've been trying! Holding my smoldering food out the window 6 stories above traffic with the fire alarm blaring and smoke billowing out of my room is something I thought would be good exposure! But there must have been no recruiters walking along the street at the time :cry:

SF, you need to set up a food cart to really get some attention.

Do they have döner kebabs in Copenhagen?

Stupidface's Stand of Questionable Food Items

Come for the curiosity, stay for the amusement.

That is such a good name, it actually makes me want to create this for real. Would people really notice the name? I bet I could sell a bunch of food out of this at the beach in the summer in spite of it.

It's like something I did a few years ago at high school - I was president of the science club, so I had to make a poster and stand for clubs day. I was too lazy to put actual content on the poster so I just wrote a bunch of fun things you could do in the club all over the board in huge font with sharpie. One of them said
"Come drink hydrochloric acid!"

I kid you not, out of about 100 people who came to my stand and looked at the poster, literally only 2 kids noticed and commented that that might not be a good activity to lead at the club. Even, like, the principal and the science teachers didn't notice it. I don't think people pay attention to stuff like that :P
The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

sjg11 wrote:You seem almost intelligent
shadowface

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby shadowface » 24 Apr 2018, 22:01

Parabellum wrote:SF, you need to set up a food cart to really get some attention.

Do they have döner kebabs in Copenhagen?

Yeah they do! Apparently it's actually a big thing here, and danish doner kebabs are special. I have yet to try one though.
The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

sjg11 wrote:You seem almost intelligent
shadowface

Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Parabellum » 24 Apr 2018, 22:03

Mmmmm. I love those things. They're everywhere in Germany.
The thought of you has upheld me through all I have endured today, and shall, through fifty times such trouble. Give me your hand. My heart is linked to yours... What, if I am steeped in poverty? You lighten it, and we will be poor together.
Parabellum

Postby kimpossible » 24 Apr 2018, 22:50

shadowface wrote:It's like something I did a few years ago at high school - I was president of the science club, so I had to make a poster and stand for clubs day. I was too lazy to put actual content on the poster so I just wrote a bunch of fun things you could do in the club all over the board in huge font with sharpie. One of them said "Come drink hydrochloric acid!"

I kid you not, out of about 100 people who came to my stand and looked at the poster, literally only 2 kids noticed and commented that that might not be a good activity to lead at the club. Even, like, the principal and the science teachers didn't notice it. I don't think people pay attention to stuff like that :P

Shadow, do you have Science Olympiad in Canada? That was the awesome thing when I was in 8th/9th grade. Exactly what it sounds like: an Olympics of science events for nerds. :geek:

Well, it was mostly awesome. In 8th grade I got stuck doing Name That Organism, which meant I had to attempt to memorize thousands of Phylum / Class / Order / Family / Genus / Species. Mercifully, they limited it to the Animal kingdom, but that's still a cruel event for kids to have to prep for in a matter of months. (Also, I probably don't have to tell you what word everyone subbed in for "organism." Kids today, I tell you.)

But in 9th grade I got to do the Rube Goldberg Device event: use at least 5 different types of energy in a chain of events that starts with a single touch and pops a balloon, within a certain time limit. Ours involved releasing a marble on a track, that pressed a doorbell, that completed the circuit on an erector set, that turned over a test tube to combine vinegar with a packet of baking soda, that popped a cork, that dislodged a ball balanced on the lip of a funnel, that rolled back and forth until it dropped down onto the handle of a pair of scissors, that cut the string holding back a wound-up toy car with a bundle of matches taped to its side, that would drive past a striker surface to light the matches, which would then burn the string holding up a paint stirrer with a thumbtack at the end and the other end on a hinge, that would fall and pop the balloon. And we got bonus points for having it also ring a bell at the end.

I can't believe I remember all that twenty-mumble years later.
Aspiring Member of the Classicists!
Proudly part of the ftf tournament community

Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness

Her?
kimpossible

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby Parabellum » 25 Apr 2018, 14:15

kimbyrle wrote:
shadowface wrote:It's like something I did a few years ago at high school - I was president of the science club, so I had to make a poster and stand for clubs day. I was too lazy to put actual content on the poster so I just wrote a bunch of fun things you could do in the club all over the board in huge font with sharpie. One of them said "Come drink hydrochloric acid!"

Shadow, do you have Science Olympiad in Canada? That was the awesome thing when I was in 8th/9th grade. Exactly what it sounds like: an Olympics of science events for nerds. :geek:

Well, it was mostly awesome. In 8th grade I got stuck doing Name That Organism, which meant I had to attempt to memorize thousands of Phylum / Class / Order / Family / Genus / Species. Mercifully, they limited it to the Animal kingdom, but that's still a cruel event for kids to have to prep for in a matter of months. (Also, I probably don't have to tell you what word everyone subbed in for "organism." Kids today, I tell you.)

But in 9th grade I got to do the Rube Goldberg Device event: use at least 5 different types of energy in a chain of events that starts with a single touch and pops a balloon, within a certain time limit. Ours involved releasing a marble on a track, that pressed a doorbell, that completed the circuit on an erector set, that turned over a test tube to combine vinegar with a packet of baking soda, that popped a cork, that dislodged a ball balanced on the lip of a funnel, that rolled back and forth until it dropped down onto the handle of a pair of scissors, that cut the string holding back a wound-up toy car with a bundle of matches taped to its side, that would drive past a striker surface to light the matches, which would then burn the string holding up a paint stirrer with a thumbtack at the end and the other end on a hinge, that would fall and pop the balloon. And we got bonus points for having it also ring a bell at the end.

I can't believe I remember all that twenty-mumble years later.

I did science olympiad, too! Name That Organism sounds tough! My events were much easier. I did an "astronomy" one where I had to memorize a bunch of stars and constellations, and I did a couple of others I don't remember. I've always been fascinated by astronomy, though. For example, the images we get from the deep space telescope... that light is coming from galaxies 13 billion (with a b!!) light years away. That means... we're looking back in time 13 billion (with a b!!) years. And we're seeing galaxies remote and full of wonders that we'll never know... it's just amazing.

Parabellum

Postby Parabellum » 25 Apr 2018, 14:22

kimbyrle wrote: combine vinegar with a packet of baking soda

Also, of course your event involved vinegar.
Parabellum

Postby kimpossible » 25 Apr 2018, 14:28

Parabellum wrote:
kimbyrle wrote: combine vinegar with a packet of baking soda

Also, of course your event involved vinegar.

LOL!!!!!!

I was super disappointed that they rotated the Musical Instrument event out the year I got to start participating. Then there was this whole stupid drama where we didn't have enough people to field a full team, so they brought back some 9th graders, and they were already good at the Lego building event, which I had really wanted to do but the teacher decided to prioritize winning over letting someone else participate. My parents were pissed.

But I did do Rocks, Minerals, and Fossils, and learned how to identify a bunch of different specimens, which was pretty cool. I did that both years.

Her?
kimpossible

Postby kimpossible » 25 Apr 2018, 14:32

I probably would have liked the astronomy one too! I've always loved stars and constellations.

Did you get to see the eclipse last year? ZZ and I drove out to Paducah, KY to be in the path of totality. It was... wow. Words are insufficient. We're already talking about going to Erie, PA in 2024 for the next one.

Her?
kimpossible

Postby Parabellum » 25 Apr 2018, 14:51

kimbyrle wrote:I probably would have liked the astronomy one too! I've always loved stars and constellations.

Did you get to see the eclipse last year? ZZ and I drove out to Paducah, KY to be in the path of totality. It was... wow. Words are insufficient. We're already talking about going to Erie, PA in 2024 for the next one.

No way! My dad’s whole family is in Paducah. They all saw it.

I actually live within the path of totality. It was raining. Crowds and crowds of tourists from every corner of the globe got to see rain clouds get slightly darker. Sooooo that was great.
Parabellum

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia