Social Thread

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: bkbkbk, Telleo, condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip

Re: Social Thread

Postby Zoomzip » 19 Mar 2018, 16:50

willie23 wrote:Hey Everyone,

Not sure where to post this, so I decided to post it here. I am very interested in playing a mafia game. I was hoping to find a classic, normal game where I can learn the ropes and all that. If there isn’t one, I’d be happy to sign up for a more complex varient. I just need the rule book and I am good to go. Zoomzip explained the basic idea to me, so I understand the basics.

Thanks,
Willie

Welcome Willie! Welcome! We have two games in sign-ups right now: Alien Infection needs 3 more players and it can go. View its rules and signup here: viewtopic.php?f=307&t=57121

Tribal Mafia needs 4 more players and it can go. Its rules and signup are here: viewtopic.php?f=307&t=57303

Both games are different from vanilla, but not too different, and right now is a great time to ask all the clarifying questions you want.

If you want to read a game thread of a fairly simple variant, the most recent Normal Mafia features fairly common variations: viewtopic.php?f=314&t=56931
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby shadowface » 19 Mar 2018, 17:07

willie23 wrote:Hey Everyone,

Not sure where to post this, so I decided to post it here. I am very interested in playing a mafia game. I was hoping to find a classic, normal game where I can learn the ropes and all that. If there isn’t one, I’d be happy to sign up for a more complex varient. I just need the rule book and I am good to go. Zoomzip explained the basic idea to me, so I understand the basics.

Thanks,
Willie

Welcome! :)

In addition to what ZZ said, I'm going to be running a game of live mafia on the weekend, and it's going to be a practically vanilla setup. It's not what we usually play here, but it's going to be a very simple setup, so if you're interested here's the discussion thread: viewtopic.php?f=411&t=57324
The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

sjg11 wrote:You seem almost intelligent
shadowface

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby willie23 » 19 Mar 2018, 17:32

Thanks guys, I’ll look into each of those. Really appreciate it.
“Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible;”— General T. J. Jackson

Bronze Member of the Classicists
Member of the Whippersnappers.
United Republic of New Texas In CYOC
Check out the PlayDip Historical Society!
willie23

Location: Lordsburg, New Mexico, USA (Right on Interstate-10)
Standard rating: 1002
All-game rating: 999

Postby kimpossible » 19 Mar 2018, 17:48

willie23 wrote:Thanks guys, I’ll look into each of those. Really appreciate it.

Alien Infection won't be hugely different. It will contain all the usual "Find who the bad guys are", but fewer deaths.
Aspiring Member of the Classicists!
Proudly part of the ftf tournament community

Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness

Her?
kimpossible

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby willie23 » 19 Mar 2018, 18:20

Okay, I read through each of those links. Alien Infection seems really cool, and I’d like to try the Live game.

Here is my situation: I go to school during the morning and early afternoon hours(from 7:30 to 3:00, GMT-7) so I can check my diplomacy games on my mobile phone about 1 time per hour. I play up to 4 Diplomacy games effectively at one time, and I am very active with messages and I have only one NMR that I know of. I am a relatively new player to the site. I have signed up for “Pure Diplomacy” PbF game and “Vain Rats” PbF game. I have not yet actually played a PbF game yet.

I think that I could post regularly about once an hour, is that enough? On weekends I am usually busy all morning but free all afternoon(free starting at 2:00 PM GMT-7).

Do you think I can handle a Mafia game? If so, I’d like to join a game.

Thanks,
Willie
“Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible;”— General T. J. Jackson

Bronze Member of the Classicists
Member of the Whippersnappers.
United Republic of New Texas In CYOC
Check out the PlayDip Historical Society!
willie23

Location: Lordsburg, New Mexico, USA (Right on Interstate-10)
Standard rating: 1002
All-game rating: 999

Postby shadowface » 19 Mar 2018, 18:37

willie23 wrote:Okay, I read through each of those links. Alien Infection seems really cool, and I’d like to try the Live game.

Here is my situation: I go to school during the morning and early afternoon hours(from 7:30 to 3:00, GMT-7) so I can check my diplomacy games on my mobile phone about 1 time per hour. I play up to 4 Diplomacy games effectively at one time, and I am very active with messages and I have only one NMR that I know of. I am a relatively new player to the site. I have signed up for “Pure Diplomacy” PbF game and “Vain Rats” PbF game. I have not yet actually played a PbF game yet.

I think that I could post regularly about once an hour, is that enough? On weekends I am usually busy all morning but free all afternoon(free starting at 2:00 PM GMT-7).

Do you think I can handle a Mafia game? If so, I’d like to join a game.

Thanks,
Willie

I would say Mafia is less about frequency and more about cumulative time. We recently discussed this, and I think most of us consider it about a 2 hour-per-day commitment to be fully active in a regular game. You can definitely play more, and some players can keep up with less, but this is fairly standard.

I think if you can check in every hour and you can handle 4 diplo games, you're going to be more than fine in a mafia game :)

shadowface

Postby shadowface » 19 Mar 2018, 22:06

Appeal to authority on the 'vinegar in stir fry' debate:

I asked my mom, who I'd wager has more cooking experience than anyone here, and she said, and I quote: "Yes, but just a little, and a little sugar too (and soya sauce)."

So I think kim owes me an apology for calling me out on that 8-)

shadowface

Postby kimpossible » 19 Mar 2018, 22:37

shadowface wrote:Appeal to authority on the 'vinegar in stir fry' debate:

I asked my mom, who I'd wager has more cooking experience than anyone here, and she said, and I quote: "Yes, but just a little, and a little sugar too (and soya sauce)."

So I think kim owes me an apology for calling me out on that 8-)

Kim maintains that vinegar only belongs in stir fry if it's cabbage-based, but will concede that you are not objectively in the wrong.

Her?
kimpossible

Postby Zoomzip » 19 Mar 2018, 22:40

ZoomZip suggests that Rice Vinegar is entirely appropriate to stir fry as well. For almost any veggie set, but certainly for any wilted greens and for sprouts (if finishing with bean sprouts)
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip
Premium Member

Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)

Postby kimpossible » 19 Mar 2018, 22:45

Zoomzip wrote:ZoomZip suggests that Rice Vinegar is entirely appropriate to stir fry as well. For almost any veggie set, but certainly for any wilted greens and for sprouts (if finishing with bean sprouts)

... Is it too late to back out of the lease?

Her?
kimpossible

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia