Social Thread

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: Zoomzip, bkbkbk, Telleo, condude1, sjg11

Re: Social Thread

Postby shadowface » 16 Mar 2018, 15:03

sjg11 wrote:Interested to hear about shadowface's travels here...

Okay, I love writing about my adventures (you should see how many journals I've written in my life :)). Here are some of the places I've visited:

Copenhagen:
This is where I'm living, and it's a very nice city. Compared to American culture, Danes are very respectful, modest, and relaxed. There isn't the same kind of wired, hyper-consumeristic and high energy atmosphere that big North American cities have. Definitely this is a cultural adjustment for me. Despite this difference, the quality of life here is very high, with Denmark supposedly being the happiest country in the world.

Still snowing here, though. Colder than Vancouver, but only by maybe 5 to 10 degrees C. Lots of babies in snowsuits, blonde people, bicycles and candles here.

Malmö:
This is just a little town in Sweden across from Copenhagen. I only went there for a day a week or so after I got here, and it was very cold. The town is kind of cute because it was always contested by Sweden and Denmark: while I was there there was some sort of archery competition going on between the Swedes and Danes.

Mostly I plan to explore most of Scandinavia in the late spring, though, because it's really too cold right now.

Berlin:
Berlin was my first major trip abroad. Everything's cheap there so that's nice, and I was raised with German culture so I find it kind of familiar. I got sort of obsessed with the history of the city and country... since it was my first major trip in Europe I really found it fascinating to see the kind of history present in major European capitals. I love Berlin. It's a rather sad city, but very cultured and wise.

London:
My first reaction to London was laughter, because on this forum we had just been talking about British people queuing, and right as I got in I went to my bus stop and there were actual crowd dividers for the line for the bus :lol:. On the tube everyone walks in neat and orderly lines, which I'd screw up by walking on the right side. I got along pretty well in the UK though, because I realized Canadian politeness is compatible with British manners so people thought I was really nice (as oppose to some cities like Copenhagen, where you're supposed to completely ignore strangers, and people are very direct in communicaton).

London's so busy, it's in a completely different league than Vancouver. My favorite thing would probably be the theater shows there - a friend recommended I do that, and I ended up going to 2 shows because they are so fun an exciting, with such talented actors. Also made it up to Oxford because someone recommended that... and now I kind of want to study there. Don't know if they take regular people at that kind of school though :cry:

Rome:
Rome really takes the cake, though. The ancient roman influences combined with the renaissance history has shaped it into such a cool place. I walked around the city for like 12 hours a day, just exploring, and I ended up hitting pretty much all the attractions in addition to seeing a bunch of the 'real' parts of the city. Got lost many times, caught in one storm, destroyed 2 maps, ate a lot of pizza, hung out on marble plazas all over the city, and took way too many pictures. Really a beautiful trip.

The places I'm still planning to visit are Amsterdam (I have a friend studying there so we're going to tour each other's cities), Vienna to sing with my choir, Italy again (maybe Naples to see Pompeii), Spain, and Bergen in Norway for a week or two in June.

Traveling alone in foreign countries (especially with different languages) as a 19 year old was a little intimidating at first, but I absolutely love it now and find I'm much more capable and confident at travelling. Just overall my first 2 months here have been such an incredible experience for me, I'm thinking of doing another exchange or some sort of international co-op in my 4th year of uni, maybe to Singapore or Japan or something like that.
The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

sjg11 wrote:You seem almost intelligent
shadowface

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby shadowface » 16 Mar 2018, 15:07

Telleo wrote:I'm just disappointed that SF didn't open with Image

There is nothing 'silly' about the divine Flesh Meme. It would hardly be appropriate to open an off-topic thread with an icon of such great importance.

shadowface

Postby Telleo » 18 Mar 2018, 03:45

For the first time ever, may I proudly present...

Ten Simple Rules for Playing Scum!

One: Remember, it's not personal.

Two: If someone starts coming after you, don't ignore it! You've got two options.

Either go on the offensive...

Or play it off like it's nothing.

Three: Don't be afraid to play dumb when someone asks you for information you don't want to give.

Four: Stick to your guns when you know someone's argument is bad.

Five: Weave a complex web of lies, inciting paranoia in the remaining town.

Six: Find some down-and-out townies to cuddle with, making them not want you dead.

Seven: Remember that you're here to have fun, and everyone else is a pawn to that end.

Eight: Don't panic if you lose a fellow bad wolf.

...even if you're the one doing the killing.

Nine: When you can, trade on being right.

Ten: Lastly...

Harb wrote:Telleo is gender-bent Chaucer from A Knight's Tale

Moderator of the Mafia Subforum!
Proud Owner of a limited-edition Medal of Idiotic Valor.
"Russian Roulette is not the same without a gun." -Lady Gaga
Bad Wolf
Telleo

Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (908)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Telleo » 18 Mar 2018, 03:46

shadowface wrote:My life is the greatest and I bet you're all jealous.

I am totally jealous the bad wolf.

Bad Wolf
Telleo

Postby shadowface » 18 Mar 2018, 16:46

Telleo wrote:

I am totally jealous.

Well, in a few years I'll have 'responsibilities' :roll: and I too will be relatively bound to a specific location. Even now it involved quite a few sacrifices to avoid committing to anything over the last year so I could ditch home properly.

Telleo wrote:Here are my scum secretz in the form of gifs

Thanks for that! Now I know to never give you towncred! Number 1, though, I don't believe (coming from you :twisted:).

shadowface

Postby Telleo » 18 Mar 2018, 17:07

shadowface wrote:
Telleo wrote:

B I am totally jealous.

Well, in a few years I'll have 'responsibilities' :roll: and I too will be relatively bound to a specific location. Even now it involved quite a few sacrifices to avoid committing to anything over the last year so I could ditch home properly.

A Ugh. Responsibilities. What a drag. I don't have those. I'm definitely not in denial about the things I need to get done today.

Telleo wrote:D Here are my scum secretz in the form of gifs

Thanks for that! Now I know to never give you towncred!

W Was that not already the general consensus? Literally everything I do as town, I do as scum, and there's no such thing as a town slip because I will absolutely manufacture whatever I want whenever I want as scum.

O But actually 90% of that post was me being bored and wanting an excuse to post gifs.

L Number 1, though, I don't believe (coming from you :twisted:).

F No I totally do actually feel bad killing people sometimes. The trick is to just bury the guilt in over-the-top self-congratulatory bragging and trash talk.

Bad Wolf
Telleo

Postby shadowface » 18 Mar 2018, 17:11

Telleo wrote:No I totally do actually feel bad killing people sometimes. The trick is to just bury the guilt in over-the-top self-congratulatory bragging and trash talk.

shadowface

Postby Telleo » 18 Mar 2018, 17:14

shadowface wrote:
Telleo wrote:No I totally do actually feel bad killing people sometimes. The trick is to just bury the guilt in over-the-top self-congratulatory bragging and trash talk.

Because I'm

Bad Wolf
Telleo

Postby shadowface » 18 Mar 2018, 17:33

Telleo wrote:
shadowface wrote:

shadowface

Postby shadowface » 18 Mar 2018, 17:33

Uh oh, I can already see the devolution of this thread beginning.

shadowface

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia