Mafia: Organizational Plans and Discussion

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: condude1, bkbkbk, sjg11, Zoomzip, Telleo

Mafia: Organizational Plans and Discussion

Postby Zoomzip » 05 Mar 2018, 00:05

Hey PlayDip Mafia Community:

We really appreciate the discussion that has appeared in the "Mafia-Queue" thread recently. Based on that discussion, we're proposing to make the following changes, and we'll put this out for comment for 48 hours or so for people to consider:

• The Mafia Subforums "On Hold" and "Resistance" will be archived into "Archived Games and AARs" thread. We may rename that forum "The Archive" Plans for the existing Resistance game that is being discussed will likely run as part of the normal mafia set-up.
  • "Live Games" will be retained for now as we hear some interest in potentially running those again.
  • We will have one active game at a time given our player base, but we will monitor that and see if eventually we can support more.
  • Mods will coordinate between a GM running an active game and a GM with a filled pending game to try and make the transition as easy as possible for the players and GMs involved.
  • We ask the GMs propose their games (and rule sets for discussion) to "In Development" first. At that time, we will start tracking that game for potentially running. If you feel your game is ready to go, message the mod team and we will start looking to put you in the "Pending Games" forum.
  • Please do not post to Pending Games a sign-up thread until you've checked in and gotten the ok to do so from the mods. We'd like to minimize the time between signups and a game running, and also make sure that people have times to get a game together.
    If it looks like a game isn't generating interest (like, say, 2 months and not being filled) we will talk to the GMs about how to handle the situation
  • We will try and be transparent as possible. We'll have a sticky thread in "Pending Games" that shows the active game, two pending games, and ordered list of games that we think will be entering sign-up in an orderly queue. The queue will largely be on first ready, first in basis, but we might ask GMs to allow their games to be delayed to allow for more diversity at times.
  • We hear there is some interest in a pure social space for mafia chit chat, personal discussion, and whatever. Someone proposed the name "Town Square" which is kinda cute. We'll look into setting that up.
So that's our plan. If people have concerns or objections, please let us know (we've established a this new thread for this) and we'll definitely take a look.

-- Your Mod Team
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Mafia: Organizational Plans and Discussion

Postby shadowface » 05 Mar 2018, 00:46

Zoomzip wrote:"Live Games" will be retained for now as we hear some interest in potentially running those again.

Yeah! I'm actually planning to try get live games going, I'm just going to be busy for the next few weeks so there's no point starting now. But I'm thinking that would be fun for between games and during night phases, as well as for the people who don't ideally want to commit to a month-long game but still want to play some mafia.

Zoomzip wrote:Mods will coordinate between a GM running an active game and a GM with a filled pending game to try and make the transition as easy as possible for the players and GMs involved.

+1, we could honestly run twice as many games this way I think, and people would enjoy it.

We hear there is some interest in a pure social space for mafia chit chat, personal discussion, and whatever. Someone proposed the name "Town Square" which is kinda cute. We'll look into setting that up.

+1 to this too.
The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

sjg11 wrote:You seem almost intelligent
shadowface

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 05 Mar 2018, 01:02

Awesome! Especially intrigued by live games--that sounds like it would be fun. Might be tough to run them on the forum though, no?

A social gathering place is probably a good idea too--that way we don't end up blowing up a thread about the game queue with mostly irrelevant conversation cause we're bored between games :lol:
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389

Postby kimpossible » 05 Mar 2018, 01:17

I like all of this.
Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby RedSun » 05 Mar 2018, 01:18

How would live games work exactly?

If everyone is posting at once wouldn't it be hard to read them all by a certain point since new posts would just keep popping up?
Groups:
The Holy State of Asteria in CYOC
RedSun

Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby shadowface » 05 Mar 2018, 01:18

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Awesome! Especially intrigued by live games--that sounds like it would be fun. Might be tough to run them on the forum though, no?

Yeah, so it would be through an IM platform instead. They used to use an IRC but that doesn't work anymore, probably because it's kind of outdated. I was thinking I'd set up a Slack channel, because it's quite easy to join and use, and we could play through that.

shadowface

Postby shadowface » 05 Mar 2018, 01:23

I've posted my ideas for Live mafia to the appropriate forum so we don't derail this one :)

Check it out if you're interested! viewtopic.php?f=411&t=57324

shadowface

Postby kimpossible » 05 Mar 2018, 01:26

Zoomzip wrote:We will try and be transparent as possible. We'll have a sticky thread in "Pending Games" that shows the active game, two pending games, and ordered list of games that we think will be entering sign-up in an orderly queue. The queue will largely be on first ready, first in basis, but we might ask GMs to allow their games to be delayed to allow for more diversity at times.

Since game proposals and go-live requests won't happen there, can it be a locked thread to avoid chatter? I like socialization as much as anyone, but I also dislike clutter.

Zoomzip wrote:We hear there is some interest in a pure social space for mafia chit chat, personal discussion, and whatever. Someone proposed the name "Town Square" which is kinda cute. We'll look into setting that up.

Yes. Thank you.

Her?
kimpossible

Postby kimpossible » 05 Mar 2018, 15:36

shadowface wrote:I've posted my ideas for Live mafia to the appropriate forum so we don't derail this one :)

We just derailed yours instead. ;)

Her?
kimpossible

Postby shadowface » 05 Mar 2018, 16:47

kimbyrle wrote:
shadowface wrote:I've posted my ideas for Live mafia to the appropriate forum so we don't derail this one :)

We just derailed yours instead. ;)

:x Just wait until you start Alien Infection - I'll show up with flesh memes and then you'll be sorry ;)

shadowface

Next

Return to Mafia