Multiple Crime Families

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: bkbkbk, Telleo, condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip

Re: Multiple Crime Families

Postby RedSun » 14 Dec 2017, 02:11

mhsmith0 wrote:Ok I'd missed that. That might almost make it too tiwnsided as you're guaranteed first night skipped and almost always skip at least night 2

Town ratio to scum is pretty low though. So I thought that may balance it.

If it seems too scum sided we could have that every other night all the scum submit an order from 1 - 11 with everyone's number on it. The top pick overall for both teams were to be NK'd…

So with perfect lynches:
Red scum dead = 7 town, 1 red, 2 blue
No NK
Blue scum dead = 7 town, 1 red, 1 blue
NK of townie
Red scum dead = 6 town, 0 red, 1 blue
No NK
Blue scum dead = 6 town, 0 red, 0 blue

Plenty of wiggle room…

Does that seem more balanced or still too town sided?
Groups:
Asteria Republic in CYOC
Silver Classicist
RedSun

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby mhsmith0 » 14 Dec 2017, 23:02

I'd almost say an interesting setup might be two crime families who know each other, but with a shared win condition, and they can't kill at night until one family is eliminated, and they can only communicate inside their own family.

IMO that's more interesting mix of incentives than multiball where all wolves know each other, since there it can get really messy wrt kingmaking as one scum faction goes down.
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby RedSun » 17 Dec 2017, 03:17

mhsmith0 wrote:I'd almost say an interesting setup might be two crime families who know each other, but with a shared win condition, and they can't kill at night until one family is eliminated, and they can only communicate inside their own family.

IMO that's more interesting mix of incentives than multiball where all wolves know each other, since there it can get really messy wrt kingmaking as one scum faction goes down.

So you think that'd work better than preventing kingmaking through the leader "investigating" each night
Groups:
Asteria Republic in CYOC
Silver Classicist
RedSun

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby condude1 » 17 Dec 2017, 08:14

I had an idea for a game with multiball town factions. Red town, blue town, and mafia. Both town have a king, and their VCs are "Eliminate all the mafia and either be the last town standing or have your king survive." Once one faction wins, the game ends, so the towns can win together if the kings both survive, and otherwise one town has to try to eliminate the other one before the mafia. It would have to be something like 6-6-2 because of town infighting though.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby mhsmith0 » 17 Dec 2017, 22:27

condude1 wrote:I had an idea for a game with multiball town factions. Red town, blue town, and mafia. Both town have a king, and their VCs are "Eliminate all the mafia and either be the last town standing or have your king survive." Once one faction wins, the game ends, so the towns can win together if the kings both survive, and otherwise one town has to try to eliminate the other one before the mafia. It would have to be something like 6-6-2 because of town infighting though.

"Dueling towns" is something ircher tried on MS. It... did not really work that well (though it wasn't "protect the king"). Part of the issue is, people playing as town can be on opposing town and it's pretty AIDS to be correctly town reading people who are in fact town, but get screwed over because they're the WRONG town faction.

I think that fundamentally, mafia pretty much HAS to have an uninformed majority (town), and then you structure the game around what kind of informed minority (mafia) you want. A game where two uninformed factions are both essentially "town" but are hostile to each other is potentially very unpleasant and I think pretty hard to structure something that's both balanced and fun.
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Postby mhsmith0 » 17 Dec 2017, 22:29

RedSun wrote:
mhsmith0 wrote:I'd almost say an interesting setup might be two crime families who know each other, but with a shared win condition, and they can't kill at night until one family is eliminated, and they can only communicate inside their own family.

So you think that'd work better than preventing kingmaking through the leader "investigating" each night

Kind of? I think the kingmaking function of opposing scum factions who know each other or can find each other pretty easily makes for a fairly nasty game with fairly nasty potential outcomes.

As an easy example, if I'm redscum and having a good game, but then get outed just because bluescum is getting rolled and is salty about losing, I'd be incredibly pissed off about getting screwed over like that.
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Mafia