Season 4 of the Mafia Championship

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: bkbkbk, Telleo, condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip

Season 4 of the Mafia Championship

Postby mhsmith0 » 07 Apr 2017, 23:46

(forwarded from thingyman)

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 4)

Hello everyone! :)

I would very much like to invite your community to take part in Season 4 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual online tournament series that pits representatives from various forum Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and become their “Champion”.

Season 1 ran in 2013-2014, while Season 2 and Season 3 ran in 2015 and 2016, respectively. As of Season 3, a total of 160 communities have been represented in the Mafia Championship, making it the largest cross-forum event on the Internet.

I hope that all this sounds very exciting to you guys :)

Do you accept the invite?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to me before April 16 to ensure yourselves a spot. If you need more time than this to think about whether you wish to participate, let me know and I can extend the deadline.

If you agree to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 23.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes

• You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
  • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
  • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.
  • Relevant only to communities that participated last season: Season 3 Finalists are not eligible to play again this season.

Season 4 Format

The tournament structure

• 135 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
  • 9 Qualifying Games will be played consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifying Game. 1 player will advance directly to the Finale Game from each Qualifying Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. I.e. 9 of the 15 finalists will be found this way.
  • A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 3 will along with me discuss and vote to determine a group of 30 wildcard players who will play in 2 Semi Final Wildcard Games. From each of these two games, three players will directly advance to the Finale Game.
  • The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall hold the title of Season 4 Champion.

The setup

MOUNTAINOUS
12 Vanilla Townies
3 Mafia Goons

We’re going back to basics for Season 4. Each season we’re changing it up, and for this season it’s finally time to play without any power roles or abilities at all. Pure mafia. You have only yourself and your reading/bluffing abilities to count on.

Relevant mechanics info
  • Day start.
  • Deadline Lynch w/ Option for Majority starting Day 2. I.e. when day timer runs out, person with most votes will be lynched. However, day can also be ended early (starting Day 2) if there is ever a majority of votes on one person.
  • If there is a tied lynch, one of the tied players will be randomly lynched.
  • No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
  • Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize them into games with deadlines that suit their preferences).
  • Thread is locked during Night Phases.
  • Alignments are revealed upon lynch.
  • The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals roles automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).

Season 4 Timeline

The first Qualifying Game is currently set to start April 24th. Additional games will take place in the 1-3 months following. I will create a Doodle and find out the best times to start the various games so that preferably everyone gets to play during a time that suits them well.

Kind regards,
Thingyman

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Skype (thingyman) or Discord (Thingyman#6075).
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Season 4 of the Mafia Championship

Postby mhsmith0 » 07 Apr 2017, 23:50

I would highly recommend this for anyone who is interested in stretching their mafia legs a bit and trying something new with an entirely new group of people. UpsideDownChuck was the PlayDip representative last year and did a fantastic job and (I think anyway) had a lot of fun.

There's also going to be an associated turbo championship (18 minute day phases, 6 minute night phases) for anyone who finds a quick and simple format more to their liking.
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Postby condude1 » 08 Apr 2017, 00:03

So, who's still eligible, and by what format are we deciding on the nominee?
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby mhsmith0 » 08 Apr 2017, 00:05

So technically everyone is eligible, since they decided to only bar season 3 finalists, of which UDC was unfortunately not one.

Not really sure what the optimal way to decide is, I'd presume nominations plus voting if multiple nom's are interested would be fairly functional.
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Postby condude1 » 08 Apr 2017, 00:07

I'm fine with re-sending Crunkus, Sjg, Harb, or UDC.

Other possibilities include ZZ, Keirador, Telleo, You, or myself.

I formally nominate ZZ.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby UpsideDownChuck » 08 Apr 2017, 03:02

Send someone new. Re-sending someone who went already is lame.

Seeing Zoomzip interact with the personalities these things attract would be amusing to me. Really anyone of the regulars here (keirador, zz, smith, condude, SF1) would be a good candidate. I haven't been paying attention lately so I don't know who's best and who the new people are.
UpsideDownChuck

Standard rating: (1406)
All-game rating: (1424)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby sjg11 » 08 Apr 2017, 13:08

Crunkus won't want it, Harb's MIA and Chuck did it last year (I think sending someone two years in a row is a bad idea). Personally I'd be willing to do this again if I was nominated... but not this year. Throughout the time period I'm either going to be revising for final year uni exams, travelling or job hunting so it's not a good time for me.

Looking at the others I know Keirador is busy doing other things at the moment so I doubt he's an option...

I concur with the ZZ nomination. Although it pains me to send a Spurs fan to this.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Zoomzip » 08 Apr 2017, 16:35

I'd be happy to do it, but would love to cheer on a fellow traveler as well.

Telleo, Shadowfriend1, and Condude are all totes eligible in my mind in addition to some of the other names. Assuming BK3 won't come back for a rightful and overdue nomination. Or Vindictus.

Ah well.

I nominate Telleo!
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip
Premium Member

Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sjg11 » 08 Apr 2017, 18:58

I think I'll close nominations for this on 11th April and then I'll set up a Poll to allow us to select our final candidate.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)

Postby Thingyman » 08 Apr 2017, 22:17

Thank you for the help, mhsmith! :)

I'll be following along. Lemme know if you have any questions regarding this season.
Thingyman

All-game rating: (1000)

Next

Return to Mafia