How Did You Find Us? Poll

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: bkbkbk, Telleo, condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip

Which best describes how you came to play mafia at playdiplomacy.com?

Referred to playdip from players on another site where mafia is played.
No votes
Came for the diplomacy. Noticed the mafia forum, had played the game in some capacity elsewhere, thought I'd give it a go.
40%
Came for the diplomacy. Noticed the mafia foum, had not played the game in some capacity elsewhere, looked interesting.
37%
Came for the diplomacy, received an invitation or referral, was intrigued, and jumped in.
12%
Came specifically for the mafia, not so much referred as found using google-fu or similar means.
No votes
Came specifically for the mafia, referred from someone RL or online, but not specifically from a site that plays mafia.
2%
Came specifically for the mafia, referred or found through another site's mafia community.
5%
I arose, phoenix-like from the ashes of another player.
No votes
Came for another forum game on this site primarily, noticed the mafia forum and jumped in.
No votes
Came for another forum game on this site primarily, was invited or referred to try out mafia.
5%

Total votes : 60

How Did You Find Us? Poll

Postby Crunkus » 02 Feb 2014, 21:40

Alrighty. This poll is open to all who have played a game of mafia here at playdiplomacy.com or have recently signed on to do so.

How did you find us?

I'd encourage veterans and newbies alike to choose the option that best describes their circumstances. Feel free to comment in the thread, add specifics, or offer another option that I should add to the list.
(sigh)
Crunkus

Class: Star Ambassador
All-game rating: (944)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: How Did You Find Us? Poll

Postby sjg11 » 02 Feb 2014, 21:43

I believe Pagane/Santi Mata pointed me in the direction of this particular subforum.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Master Radishes » 02 Feb 2014, 22:15

I remember when the first game started up I hadn't heard of it before and didn't quite get it, so I didn't join in. A few months later I saw people start up Mafia on another site I lurked on, and I decided to take a closer look this time. I eventually joined up and played on that site. PlayDip Mafia only lasted a game or two before dying, initially, but eventually it not only returned but thrived. So I joined in the fun here too.

I would say the second poll option best reflects my answer.
Master Radishes

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1329)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Pagane » 03 Feb 2014, 19:03

sjg11 wrote:I believe Pagane/Santi Mata pointed me in the direction of this particular subforum.

Best thing I ever did for the forum! I spied your talent and tested you with a grueling set of challenges to prove that you were the one, the savior of all...
Actually, I believe I was playing you in a WWII forum Dip game and needed a sub in mafia.

I was first here under my Santiago Matamoros avatar. I'd played a couple classic RL games in the past, then saw a new thread pop up on the PlayDip homepage one day that I checked out and got hooked following The Don's Villa. After I left 'temporarily' (that turned out to be indefinitely), I lost my old computers in a fire and didn't have access to my old account.

So I guess as SM I fit the second choice, but as Pagane I rose from the ashes of SM.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

Previously known as Santiago Matamoros.
Pagane

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1079)
All-game rating: (1085)

Postby Palin » 04 Feb 2014, 00:43

Found the site in Wikipedia and joined for the Diplomacy. I was registered for about 10 days, when none else than Crunkus invited me in GIG II. Had never played Mafia by then, so if someone is to blame for my getting on people's nerves (including himself a couple of times) it's Crunkus! :)

Just got back to the site and this time I plan never to leave; I missed you guys (and the occasional girl as well)!
Sooner or later the man who wears two faces forgets which one is real... and thus a stabbing occurs!

Gold member of the Classicists
Palin

Standard rating: (886)
All-game rating: (800)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Harb » 04 Feb 2014, 02:17

I was playing a Mentor game of Diplomacy on this site when I found the mafia subforum. There was a newbie game about to start up and I jumped on it. I hadn't formally played Mafia before, but I was in the middle of a long series of weekends playing the Battlestar Galactica board game. I knew I LOVED hidden traitor games so I was pretty stoked.

Edit: This caused me to go back that first game, Harry Potter Mafia. I cringed. Quite a bit.
---------
I have the honor to be your obedient servant,

A. Harb
Harb

Standard rating: (971)
All-game rating: (971)

Postby Crunkus » 04 Feb 2014, 04:08

Hmmm. Mafia IX: Firefly. I just went back and re-read it. 35 pages, it sure didn't take long. Gosh, reading it again I genuinely remembered what it felt like being so new.

We had some good fun with the role-play there at the beginning. A different sort of game back then to be sure.

Hmm. funny. Reading the AAR again I suddenly remember I had played the game on IRC elsewhere before playing it on the forum here.

I had completely forgotten. Must be getting elderly. Time to go back and change my vote in the poll.

That was really interesting reading it all again.
(sigh)
Crunkus

Class: Star Ambassador
All-game rating: (944)

Postby bkbkbk » 06 Feb 2014, 09:58

I remember when Harb signed up for that game, because his name kept getting autocorrected to Harv when I typed it in. If I remember correctly, we also had Phatality in that game.

I was invited by Crunkus to play in The Prisoner, but didn't fancy it at the time. I kept my eye on the forum though, and later signed up for Fellowship of the Mafia. That's when I met jeanphi.
Regards,
BK

Moderator of this shady corner of the forum. Come and pay us a visit!
bkbkbk

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Firestorm94 » 07 Feb 2014, 00:41

Palin wrote:Found the site in Wikipedia and joined for the Diplomacy. I was registered for about 10 days, when none else than Crunkus invited me in GIG II. Had never played Mafia by then, so if someone is to blame for my getting on people's nerves (including himself a couple of times) it's Crunkus! :)

Just got back to the site and this time I plan never to leave; I missed you guys (and the occasional girl as well)!

Welcome back, Palin! It's nice to see you again.

As for the poll, I found mafia on another site and got killed immediately there. My first game on this site was my second game ever. Since then, I think I've done almost as much reading for mafia as I have for school.

Back in the old days, we voted in bold, and posts with more than three lines were hard to come by. It was definitely quite different back then.

@Harb: I don't recall you being THAT bad in Harry Potter. I remember that you guys lynched shirt, who was arguably the strongest townie in the game (plus he was the freaking cop!). I really enjoyed the way that newbie game was set up. The veteran players were able to contribute to the game in a way that (hopefully) helped the newbies get a feel for how we play around here. Crunkus's roleplay as Snape is good reading too.
Firestorm94

Standard rating: (1026)
All-game rating: (1025)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Harb » 07 Feb 2014, 02:59

Firestorm94 wrote:@Harb: I don't recall you being THAT bad in Harry Potter. I remember that you guys lynched shirt, who was arguably the strongest townie in the game (plus he was the freaking cop!). I really enjoyed the way that newbie game was set up. The veteran players were able to contribute to the game in a way that (hopefully) helped the newbies get a feel for how we play around here. Crunkus's roleplay as Snape is good reading too.

To be fair I WAS opposed to that lynch. We should consider running another newbie game soon. We don't have a lot of TRUE newbies since folks have been diving into games, but it might be night to do a mentor style game with newer players that feel like they've got improvements they can make.
---------
I have the honor to be your obedient servant,

A. Harb
Harb

Standard rating: (971)
All-game rating: (971)

Next

Return to Mafia