Gauging Interest

Mafia is a forum game of strategy, deduction, persuasion, clever traps, nerve and deception. Every game is unique and playing it with those who play diplomacy as well makes it all the more challenging and interesting. We have a unique mafia community on the site and we're always looking for fresh blood.

Moderators: sjg11, Zoomzip, bkbkbk, Telleo, condude1

Gauging Interest

Postby mhsmith0 » 09 Jan 2020, 00:42

I'm doing some work in the creation of a spiritual successor to the Resident Evil game that was run on MU in 2019, likely starting up late spring or early summer, and I'm curious if anyone would be interested in signing up for it once things get a bit more into place.

Some highlights:
1) I'm intentionally designing it to be organized in terms of "ships" of players (probably 7-8), where the majority of the communication, interaction, and planning over the course of the game (particularly early) will be inside each ship as opposed to a mishmash of strangers (obviously some non-town factions would have cross-ship communications, but even those roles would probably spend more time talking to your shipmates than faction mates). I figured this would help encourage activity and interest, since it's more fun doing something experimental among friends than some people you've never interacted with before

2) Required activity would likely be an hour or less a week for many roles (though people can certainly do more, and some roles would require more). Game length likely 10-ish months, though some people would die before endgame. Likely 3-4 months minimum commitment.

As a host, I'd be open to player preferences on being randed lower intensity vs higher intensity roles, though ALL such communication would need to be private (i.e. if you have interest in this game, and a particular preference on role type, please post interest here and then PM me about your personal preferences, as that is obviously info that wouldn't be appropriate to be public)

3) Discord would be heavily encouraged or maybe required, since the easiest way to organize intra-ship communications is to set up a dedicated discord channel for each ship. If a full ship's group wanted some alternative communication approach (such as quicktopics), I might be open to that, but I'd have to make a decision on how much extra host work that'd involve (since managing a game of 42-64 people would already be a lot of work)

4) There would be a pregame selection of a "captain" role on a ship, which would have additional power and responsibility in terms of planning, managing communications, etc. My thought is that I'd have a private election inside each ship (identity of captain could have infosec implications)

Happy to answer any other relevant questions here, though a lot of design is still TBD, so answers may be "idk" or subject to later change as my whims or the requirements of a functional game demand :P
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Gauging Interest

Postby condude1 » 09 Jan 2020, 16:52

I'd be in again!
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Zoomzip » 09 Jan 2020, 17:21

This is an interesting idea I would liek to support.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Fatmo » 10 Jan 2020, 00:29

This looks crazy. Marking thread because I'm curious to see what this ends up being. Likely won't play though.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 10 Jan 2020, 03:15

On the one hand, MU bad.

On the other hand, smith good and idea good.

So count me in!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby mhsmith0 » 16 Jan 2020, 23:02

Thanks for the feedback guys!

In case you're curious, here's a (very) loose guesstimate of my progress to date:

Factional Design and win conditions 80%
Basic combat and map mechanics 70%
Designing an automated system to process submitted orders so I don’t drive myself completely insane during the game 60%
Role construction, stats distributions, etc 50%
Flavor design/writing 5%
Marketing for signups 5%
Communications/servers setup 0%
Role PM writing 0%
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Postby mhsmith0 » 24 Jan 2020, 09:27

Updated progress report!

Factional design and win conditions 90% (maybe more like 95% but I might change stuff)
Basic combat and map mechanics 75%
Designing an automated system to process submitted orders so I don’t drive myself completely insane during the game 60%
Role construction, stats distributions, etc 60% (probably like 30% of the remaining 40% is testing/editing/maybe redesign more than original design)
Role PM writing 15%
Flavor design/writing 10%
Marketing for signups 5%
Communications/servers setup 5%

One of these days I'll set up a true advertising/signup thread, but there's still some additional work I need to do to be more comfortable that the broad strokes designs are basically correct, and that it's mainly just (A LOT OF) detail left.
mhsmith0

Postby mhsmith0 » 11 Feb 2020, 01:37

Signup post is now up and official! :D

https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/th ... ion-thread
mhsmith0

Return to Mafia