Kingdom of Deseret Royal Family

Forum game hosted by Flatley

Moderators: mat.gopack, Zander, chrisman39

Re: Kingdom of Deseret Royal Family

Postby jonisilk » 30 Aug 2019, 16:11

Darius ap SaZi wasn’t what she was expecting when she imagined a Grand Master Teller. She was expecting him to arrive in flowing robes, with a book of the Craft in his hand. Nope. He was just a normal looking, well-dressed comparatively young man. She knew he was in his 50’s by now, but he didn’t look like much more than half of that.

People aged really well here and she found herself constantly surprised whenever she was told a persons age, but the pace of life was so relaxed, almost like a daydream sometimes, that she could understand why.

Darius gave off that same sense of being totally at ease with himself and his surroundings. Within a few minutes, it became clear why - he grew up playing in this house with Atrwys when they were children, often spending as much time here as he had at home.

He asked if she’d discovered any of the secret passages yet - She didn’t even know they’d existed!

Apparently, every building connected to the next below ground and these passageways all connected to a bigger network designed to allow troops and resources to be transferred anywhere in the home regions without detection, in the event of any potential invasion. The main part of the network is still maintained and used by local law enforcement, but most of the connections between individual houses had been filled in centuries earlier… but not here.

Darius saw Augusts eyes coming alive as he spoke. He continued to tell her about the pranks they’d play and how they’d continually evaded the blame by appearing from a different house to the one the pranks went down in.

August was laughing so hard that she surprised herself. She couldn’t remember the last time that she laughed out loud like that. She’d thought this was meant to be some kind of therapy session, but it wasn’t anything like she’d expected. Pretty soon, she was talking about the games and pranks she and her siblings and cousins used to indulge in back in Deseret, back before… August had stopped laughing.

She’d nearly forgotten. Just for a moment, it had been the farthest thing from her mind, and then, just as suddenly, it had returned.

Sensing the time was right, Darius leaned-in and said, “Let me tell you a story….”

—————

Half an hour later, Darius stopped talking. It had been like she was in a trance, his voice was hypnotic and his every word carried her along, guiding her through the story of Kane and Allegra, a tale of two young lovers who abandoned their families to live in exile (and both die tragically) She’d heard the story before, abridged, but Darius told it differently.

It seemed so much more pertinent to her own life and situation, and unlike the story she’d heard before, this version didn’t end with them dying, but with a question. A choice.

She couldn’t explain it, but she understood that the question was somehow hers. As was the choice as to how she would answer it. For the first time since she’d received the news from back home, she didn’t feel like she was utterly lost and helpless. She did have choice, and knowing that made her feel empowered.

——————

Vardina could see the change in August as soon as she came into the kitchen. She looked to Darius, who flashed a smile and a wink. She was going to be okay.

Atrwys arrived just as Darius was leaving and watching him interact with Darius give her a first glimpse at a side of Atrwys she hadn't seen before. Gone was the stern granite like exterior, replaced for a moment with a playfully mischievous sense of humour. At least, until he realised there were people watching.
The enemies of my enemies are not necessarily my friend, but they may still be useful.

Member of the Classicists.
jonisilk

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1312)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT

Postby jonisilk » 30 Aug 2019, 17:36

“Oh my goodness, you’re such a tiny little thing! You’re adorable! Can I adopt you?”

These were the very first words out of ZiZi’s mouth when she was introduced to August, which the young princess found a little strange. What little she knew of ZiZi was limited to a few of her songs she’d heard, and the knowledge that she was a leading figure in the Janisist faith. She'd also found out that she was Darius' mother.

“It’s very nice to meet you miss Zwecklin”, August said, then absentmindedly curtsied, before realising (with a little embarrassment) that she wasn’t in court and didn’t have to stand on such ceremonial niceties, even if this was a gathering of some of the most powerful families in the Corporation.

“Please, call me Auntie ZiZi, everyone else does.”

She turned to Atrwys. “And you, I haven’t seen you in so long”, she said, pinching his cheek like he was still a little boy.

“Darius is in the recreation hall, playing chess with your cousin, you boys go and have some fun”.

Daniel, ZiZi’s husband, pointed out to her that Atrwys was now a professional parent and probably didn’t appreciate having his cheek pinched by an old woman.

“Nonsense, whats the point in being old if you can’t pinch someones cheek every now and then”.

August soon learned that such reactions were typical of the old girl, who might have been born into Baunari nobility, but was as grounded and “down-to-mars” as anyone else. Despite being an "old girl", she was still young at heart, and she understood where Darius had gotten his casual charm from. ZiZi had an irreverent air about her that made her easy to warm to, and August found herself confessing that she’d been terribly nervous about meeting her in person.

“Good gracious dear, why?” she asked.

“Well, you’re like, an icon… that’s a pretty big deal”, said August.

ZiZi chuckled a little before replying, “Darling, allow me to let you in on a little secret… Everyone here is a big deal, and that includes you too”.
The enemies of my enemies are not necessarily my friend, but they may still be useful.

jonisilk

Postby Vogelhut24 » 30 Aug 2019, 17:57

Jack was sitting with Maximus and Catherine in one of the Royal school. While he was the crown prince and hand of the king, people often forgot he was only a 16 year old boy, still in high school. Class of course was scheduled around council meetings and royal court sessions, but their was always time to learn. Jack enjoyed school, it was a time to get away from the stress of the palace. It was trigonometry class. While the High priest found such teaching arbitrary, the stem fields have been taught aside the study of religious doctrines since the rule of King Tyler the first. Jack loved learning about the sciences, though he always hated the science room. The newer floorboards just reminded him of the time he snuck Tyler in to play with the chemicals in the room. He never imagined what the consequences would be. His brothers never been the same since, scarred, and disfigured. Jack wasn't even the one who was able to pull his brother out of the fire. He had failed him, like he had failed the people of Grand Junction. How could he hope to be king one day if he keeps failing people.
"Jack" Max elbowed him "are you alright?"
Jack went out of his daze.
"Yes, I'm quite alright, thank you Max." Jack smiled
Maximus Sohl had been an odd fellow to Jack when he met him, not as strange as Catherine when she stepped out of her ship, but strange. He had all these ideas of democratic freedom and economic liberation that he was outspoken about. Jack had never met a person like him in his whole life, but Jack was glad he met him. In the few months that they knew each other Jack saw Maximus more as a brother than a friend. He had helped mend Catherine and his relationship, and taught him all about the the ways of life outside the kingdom. He didn't know if he would fully understand what drove Max to do what he did, but he was glad that he could rely on him.

After class Jack began to ponder, this upcoming constitutional convention would not only define his fathers reign, but his own one day. If the kingdom could pull this off right, then maybe life would be better for the people of the kingdom, and maybe Deseret could make its mark on the world stage. Jack was wary though, he had heard murmurs from the Venesuans after his fathers announcement of the convention, he didn't know if he trusted all of them, but he trusted his Catherine, and if she did then he would follow.

Catherine was the best thing that ever happened to Jack, from the moment she came out of the ship he fell in love, she was so kind, strong willed, fierce, and confident. She was everything Jack hoped to present himself as.She had opened his eyes to the outside world, and showed him that just because the kingdom has done something the same for hundreds of years doesn't mean its the right way to do things. Jack cared about her more than anything, but... some things about her terrified him. The way she smiled at grand junction, and the look of murder she gave white. He hoped that one day he wouldn't have to worry about these things, but it was always on his mind. No matter though, as long as he loved her and she loved him everything would be alright, right?
Vogelhut24

Postby Vogelhut24 » 30 Aug 2019, 18:45

Maximus was in his study writing on proposals to tell Jack for the election. He may not be able to vote, but at-least he could help push his friend in the right direction. As he was writing their was a knock on the door. Max puts his pen down. “Come in”. Bernard Iron side walks in. “Maximus Sohl, His grace King Bryan the reformer has summoned you to the throne room. For an audience.” Maximus put down his pen, his hand was starting to shake. He’s never been summoned personally by the king, usually he would be called to the council meetings, but never privately. “Of corse.” Max began to follow Ironside to the throne room. In their was King Bryan, on the throne, surrounded only by two members of the kings guard looking down at Max. The entirety of the court was silent, with the hundreds of people present staring at him.
“Maximus of the House Sohl, I king Bryan of Deseret have a proposal for you. You have proven your worth to the kingdom, and we need you in these troubling times, I offer you the status of noble and the hand of my niece August. In exchange you will bend the knee and swear your life to me.”
Vogelhut24

Postby jonisilk » 30 Aug 2019, 20:16

Max considered the room and his audience, and chose his words very carefully.

"Your Grace, I am... deeply honoured by gesture"

A smile started to form on the king's face...

"But, I am a citizen of the PCG. It is my hope to one day lead the PCG as a member of its governing body. I would not be able to do so if I were to renounce the citizenship of my homeland, and swear allegiance to another"

The smile that had been forming on the kings face was replaced by a look of thoughtful consideration. Max, wary of offending, tried to recall as much about his grandfathers public appearances as he could, and attempted to channel him in person.

"My understanding of the oath you would have me take, would require my absolute loyalty to you. Even if I did not agree with your position on a matter, I would be bound by duty to follow your orders through, and to remain silent about any concerns I may have. If this were to be the case, then without the freedom to express my concerns directly to the Crown, I fear I would not be able to serve you as competently as your Grace deserves."

It was true the boy wasn't backwards about coming forwards, after all, he'd requested a position of influence and been granted it, but never thought to censor himself when it came to things he felt strongly about, and it appeared he was about to make good on that character trait once more.

"However, should your Grace see fit to appoint me anyway, knowing that I will always offer my advice honestly and openly, no matter if it contradicts his current thinking, and that I will act in the best interest of his Kingdom and it's people.... then I would be more than honoured to take the hand of your beloved daughter."

He'd managed to keep his cool despite the feeling that his voice was about to crack with nerves. Now, Max waited for the response...

jonisilk

Postby jonisilk » 30 Aug 2019, 20:29

Meanwhile on Mars.....

Atrwys and Vardina talk through an unfortunate "accident".

V - I think we might have to have “the talk” with August.

A - Why, what happened?

V - She walked in on Yarin and I having sex.

A - Yarin’s back? When did he get here, and how much noise were you making for her to hear you having sex?

V - He came back last night. It wasn’t noise that tipped her off, it was where she found us…. in the kitchen……..stop laughing! it was so embarrassing.

A - I’m sorry, but it is funny.... She knows you’ve got two kids together right?

V - How would she? She’s never seen him before, and the first time she does, he’s on top of me over the hearth.

A - So she doesn’t know that he’s Max and Jen’s biological father?

v - No. I didn’t get a chance to explain myself, we just looked up and there she was, looking at us with a stunned expression, and before I could say anything, she’d disappeared. I haven’t been able to find her all day. Do you know where she might have gone?

==================

Atrwys entered the secret passageway for the first time in decades. He could see that it hadn’t been disturbed for many years, save for one small set of footprints that were easy enough to follow.

The other children were never told about the passages, so he wondered how August had managed to find them without a guide, though he knew that it was Darius who had told her they were here. He’d mentioned as much at the party.

Clearly she’d gone looking for them and found them. Now, she was hiding away down here, still trying to make sense of what she’d just seen.

She was surprised to see Atrwys and seemed to stiffen up, like she was about to be told off

Ag - I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to -

At - What are you sorry for?

She didn’t know. He sat down a few feet away from her and looked qround at the network of tunnels. Memories coming back.

At - I haven’t been down here since long before you were born.

Ag - Darius told me about it. I wasn’t sure if he was telling the truth because it took me forever to find an entrance.

At - If you know where to look…. Dina told me what happened. That you walked in on her… with someone.

Ag - She told you? I’m sorry.

At - Again, what are you sorry for?

Ag - You mean you’re not upset? That she was cheating on you with someone else?

At - She wash’t cheating on anyone. Vardina and I are not a couple, we just raise each others children as part of the same unit. The man you say her with is Yarin. He’s Jen and Max’s biological father.

Ag - But, I thought that…… I guess I don’t know what I thought.

At - Yarin opted to go career a long time ago. He doesn’t live with us anymore, but he still financially contributes to the family for the raising his children. Vardina and I are very close, but… not like that.

Ag - So are any of the children yours?

At - One, Lucas. His mother lives in Langale Province with his two sisters.

Ag - So you are married, but to someone else?

At - I’m not married. We were a breeding pair within a different family unit before I was asked to become the Professional Parent of this one. We still pair-bond, but actual marriage is something we don’t often do here. The family is more important than any individual relationship. And as needs change as people change, so must the family, but always for the good of the children.

Ag - So you don’t have marriages?

At - Not really, although we do observe the custom when it’s culturally relevant to one of the parties involved, like between Daniel and ZiZi.

Ag - Are you sad you have daughters you never see?

At - I see them all the time, perhaps not in person, but we communicate all the time, and I know that they’re happy and living with a loving family that cares for them as well as I could ever hope.

Ag - Don’t you miss them?

At - A bit, sometimes, but not really. How do I have the time to worry about other children when I have you lot to take care of?

Ag - So, being part of a family doesn’t mean you’re directly related to people in that family?

At - Not all the time, no. We place children with the units of friends or relatives that can best serve their developmental needs.

Ag - Why would you do that?

At - My youngest daughter is mute, she can’t speak, but she lives in a house where she isn’t the only one with that condition, and they know how to give her the tools to work through the barriers her condition presents, far better than I ever could. It’s what’s best for her, and that’s what matters.

Ag - So you aren’t angry, or upset? What about Vardina?

At - I think Vardina is more embarrassed than anything else.

They both looked at each other and in unison, smiles crept across both their faces.

jonisilk

Postby Vogelhut24 » 30 Aug 2019, 21:00

August was embarrassed at what she saw between Yarin and Vardina. She knew what they were doing, but she ran away because she was afraid that she would get Vardina killed. August had grown found of Vardina, she was like a second mother to her. Non marital sex in Deseret is a felony, punishable for women by death. According to the higher priest, a women’s virtue is the property of her husband. The nobility was able to get away with more and might to be punished, but for the lowborn.....August wasn’t even suppose to know what sex was. Jack had told her what sex was while drunk when she was 12 and he was 15. Alcohol is also illegal in the kingdom but Jack never cared for the rules too much. He made it himself using fermented grapes grown outside the city walls. August though that by seeing Vardina with a man that wasn’t Atrwys she would have to be executed. But Atrwys told her otherwise. Marriage isn’t a thing in the PCG, and people were put in breading pairs. August wasn’t sure if she liked that much, but she thought it was better that women in the nation weren’t shamed for their bodies. Atrwys and August went back to the hut, and August apologized to Vardina before Vardina sat her down, and told her about proper sexual education.
Note: this is in game kingdom law and does not represent the real world beliefs of the Mormon faith.
Vogelhut24

Postby Subotai45 » 30 Aug 2019, 21:50

Catherine ain't exactly "chill" with how half the spode-cursed Kingdom of Deseret treats its women. Aside from a brief period during the Pallian Exile, Venusian civilization has been remarkably egalitarian for centuries, although the Harem Period of the False Dmitri (OOC: the first false Dmitri for those of you following along at home) is a black spot on an otherwise generally clean record of progress. Another black spot? The pressure her "uncle" put on her to marry Jack - who, to be clear, is literally a child, and by far her intellectual inferior. That part ain't his fault - after all, his backwords mud-hut-village of a kingdom hasn't developed anything like the technology that her own once-grand empire had pioneered, and if she didn't compare him to Venusians ( who are stronger, smarter, and faster) he'd surely be perfectly adequate. Being a Pirate Queen was supposed to be way more fun than this.

She's got it relatively lucky though - as a princess of Deseret, and a Pirate-Queen in her own right, she's got a fair bit more clout than the rest of the women in this desolate wasteland. But some parts are still galling for the "princess," the most frustrating of which is White's insistence on her attendance at daily - get a load of that, daily! - mass in "conservative" getup. She ain't even Mormon, and these heathen rituals are wholly alien and undesired for her. She's just supposed to "believe" in this Jesus character? Why? She's seen her gods, the real ones - the Atomic Gods the likes of which were released at Grand Junction, or the dearly-missed God in the Machine back on the beloved Homeworld that used to shepherd all the souls of the dead to the afterlife. There's nothing the inside of a temple can hold that compares to the majesty of an Atomic God rising above the landscape, looking Him in the eyes and knowing that you are not found wanting.

Screw this, Catherine thinks. She's a Venusian, the pinnacle of centuries of dedicated research into improving the human race, the Pirate-Queen, honorary head of the most organized and successful guild of outlaws in Venusian history, and one of the Faithful, who acts with the surety of faith that only one who sees their Gods on a regular basis can possess. From that day forward, Catherine staunchly refuses to go to Mass, instead holding open ceremonies of the Church of the Great Pantheon in the uninhabited regions outside the reach of church officials. The Venusians increasingly attend the services of their new priest, and the word of "the true gods of the Venusians" is pushed out to the population of Deseret.

In her personal attire, Catherine is increasingly rebellious. She is not a mere princess of Deseret, she is the Pirate-Queen of Libertatia, a higher title in a more powerful kingdom (or, at least, it once was), and ought to dress as such. Elected by the other "pirates" - albeit under the direction of Dmitri - she begins to wear the uniform of her station - tricorn hat, with a large red feather, and - daringly - pants. Rounding out the ensemble is a hefty sword that someone without her genetically modified strength would be wholly unable to lift, and a large pistol that fits similarly easy in her strong hands. Anyone who tries to force her into the outdated gender roles of the kingdom ought to be wary of finding themselves on the wrong end of either.
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Vogelhut24 » 30 Aug 2019, 21:56

The people of the crowd start to whisper, Haythem White looks at Max in disgust. “You want all the benefits of the being part of the nobility, the king has offered you more than any lowborn dreams of boy, yet you refuse him to enslave us to your master’s heretical whims? We should have your head for this insolence!”
King Bryan raises his hand silencing White.
“Enough, it is I who rule this kingdom, not you high priest. As for you Max, I applied your dedication to the truth and fighting for what you believe in, there aren’t many who would refuse a king. If that is what you wish so be it. So long as you work to improve the lives of the people of Deseret, I will allow you to remain on the counsel. But if you ever betray the kingdom, I will have no quarrel executing you on the spot.”
Max gulped
“As for my niece, from what I’ve heard from her caretaker Atrwys, she enjoys the PCG lifestyle, and your mother is very fond of her. Perhaps it would be best if the proposal was given for her sake.”
White spoke up “My liege you can’t be serious, giving an up jump foreign lowborn the hand of a princess on a women’s whim.”
King Bryan spoke up “I am. And as your king with the powers invested in me by god you have no right to defy me.”
White shrunk back down.
“The weeding shall proceed in a moons time; Prince Robert send a message to Atrwys. If you wish for anyone else to attend speak to Duke Oliver Grey and he will send the message.”
“Thank you, your grace.”
“You are dismissed.”
Max walks out of the room.
Vogelhut24

Postby Vogelhut24 » 30 Aug 2019, 22:03

Subotai45 wrote:Catherine ain't exactly "chill" with how half the spode-cursed Kingdom of Deseret treats its women. Aside from a brief period during the Pallian Exile, Venusian civilization has been remarkably egalitarian for centuries, although the Harem Period of the False Dmitri (OOC: the first false Dmitri for those of you following along at home) is a black spot on an otherwise generally clean record of progress. Another black spot? The pressure her "uncle" put on her to marry Jack - who, to be clear, is literally a child, and by far her intellectual inferior. That part ain't his fault - after all, his backwords mud-hut-village of a kingdom hasn't developed anything like the technology that her own once-grand empire had pioneered, and if she didn't compare him to Venusians ( who are stronger, smarter, and faster) he'd surely be perfectly adequate. Being a Pirate Queen was supposed to be way more fun than this.

She's got it relatively lucky though - as a princess of Deseret, and a Pirate-Queen in her own right, she's got a fair bit more clout than the rest of the women in this desolate wasteland. But some parts are still galling for the "princess," the most frustrating of which is White's insistence on her attendance at daily - get a load of that, daily! - mass in "conservative" getup. She ain't even Mormon, and these heathen rituals are wholly alien and undesired for her. She's just supposed to "believe" in this Jesus character? Why? She's seen her gods, the real ones - the Atomic Gods the likes of which were released at Grand Junction, or the dearly-missed God in the Machine back on the beloved Homeworld that used to shepherd all the souls of the dead to the afterlife. There's nothing the inside of a temple can hold that compares to the majesty of an Atomic God rising above the landscape, looking Him in the eyes and knowing that you are not found wanting.

Screw this, Catherine thinks. She's a Venusian, the pinnacle of centuries of dedicated research into improving the human race, the Pirate-Queen, honorary head of the most organized and successful guild of outlaws in Venusian history, and one of the Faithful, who acts with the surety of faith that only one who sees their Gods on a regular basis can possess. From that day forward, Catherine staunchly refuses to go to Mass, instead holding open ceremonies of the Church of the Great Pantheon in the uninhabited regions outside the reach of church officials. The Venusians increasingly attend the services of their new priest, and the word of "the true gods of the Venusians" is pushed out to the population of Deseret.

In her personal attire, Catherine is increasingly rebellious. She is not a mere princess of Deseret, she is the Pirate-Queen of Libertatia, a higher title in a more powerful kingdom (or, at least, it once was), and ought to dress as such. Elected by the other "pirates" - albeit under the direction of Dmitri - she begins to wear the uniform of her station - tricorn hat, with a large red feather, and - daringly - pants. Rounding out the ensemble is a hefty sword that someone without her genetically modified strength would be wholly unable to lift, and a large pistol that fits similarly easy in her strong hands. Anyone who tries to force her into the outdated gender roles of the kingdom ought to be wary of finding themselves on the wrong end of either.

Haythem White is not happy, as is the law of the kingdom anyone spewing heretical beliefs shall be exiled or executed. The king and prince Jack are able to prevent the citizens of Salt lake from destroying the new church of the Atomic god, but only until the creation of the Constitution. As a result of Catherine actions many of the nobles have put their support under Haythem White to purge the land of non believers and many of the peasantry refuse to sell goods to Venetians. Jack is oblivious to Catherine's true feeling about him, but Maximus is starting to notice her true beliefs.
Vogelhut24

PreviousNext

Return to Create Your Own Country