Judging discussion thread

Forum game hosted by Flatley

Moderators: Zander, chrisman39, mat.gopack

Re: Judging discussion thread

Postby beadsman » 19 Aug 2019, 21:18

I don't know, I thought I pretty much had the Great South American War locked down. After Brazil fell, I could easily outflank the defenders. Also, I had a small invasion force en route to take their capital.

That said, I probably could ha be included a contingency plan in my first set of orders.
Silver member of the Classicists

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
“It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” - William Blake

Imperator of the Cyon Imperium in CYOC
beadsman

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1594)
All-game rating: (1605)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby mat.gopack » 19 Aug 2019, 21:39

beadsman wrote:I don't know, I thought I pretty much had the Great South American War locked down. After Brazil fell, I could easily outflank the defenders. Also, I had a small invasion force en route to take their capital.

That said, I probably could ha be included a contingency plan in my first set of orders.

I used the Great South American War as an example of the counterpoint - both you and jon were far too committed to the Andes front. Columbia could (should) have deployed a far smaller force to that front, and freed up literal millions of troops to fight in the Brazilian front (same for you).

The forces committed to that front were far, far smaller on all sides. While taking half or 3/4 of the Andes forces away from there wouldn't have drastically changed the results on either side, adding that many troops into the other area of conflict would have won that one easily.

Sure, you won in the end - but it's because both of you were bashing your armies into each other on the shortest, least suited front possible and your larger army could also afford to beat Brazil with a fairly small detachment.
.·ï¨Ï¨Ï¨ï·.mat.gopack.·ï¨Ï¨Ï¨ï·.
Mattopia of the Mattibean Union in CYOC. You should join ;)

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

Spreadsheets are fun!
mat.gopack

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (929)
All-game rating: (929)

Postby Subotai45 » 19 Aug 2019, 23:05

I’d say ask your judge.

As judge, I straight up don’t want you to try imagining all the possible things the enemy might do any give me orders. I’ll ask about the naval invasion for example.

What I want above all else is just tell me what you’re going to do when things go bad. Like you’re following your main plan, youyjust aren’t strong enough and you’re losing the battle or stalemating. That’s a hella common contingency - at least one side is going to need it every time.

I definitely agree on the concentration on one front though - also makes it easier for your judge in addition to being sounder.
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127

Postby mat.gopack » 19 Aug 2019, 23:11

Subotai45 wrote:I’d say ask your judge.

As judge, I straight up don’t want you to try imagining all the possible things the enemy might do any give me orders. I’ll ask about the naval invasion for example.

What I want above all else is just tell me what you’re going to do when things go bad. Like you’re following your main plan, youyjust aren’t strong enough and you’re losing the battle or stalemating. That’s a hella common contingency - at least one side is going to need it every time.

I definitely agree on the concentration on one front though - also makes it easier for your judge in addition to being sounder.

Certainly true - I mostly meant to show examples of "don't assume you'll win every attack" on that list. Though I do kinda like having general contingencies in the orders when judging, because it puts everything in one place/one pm. Having to dig through multiple ones to find the relevant information can slow it down a lot.

Also right on the ease of judging aspect - it is significantly easier if both sides use that thinking :P
.·ï¨Ï¨Ï¨ï·.mat.gopack.·ï¨Ï¨Ï¨ï·.
Mattopia of the Mattibean Union in CYOC. You should join ;)

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

Spreadsheets are fun!
mat.gopack

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (929)
All-game rating: (929)

Previous

Return to Create Your Own Country