Academy Reunion: Mars Conference

Forum game hosted by Flatley

Moderators: mat.gopack, Zander, chrisman39

Re: The Academy

Postby Terminus » 17 Mar 2016, 23:31

I'm only one man, Subs. :roll: :lol:

Next time there's an RP, I'd love to join (barring the possibility of yet another apocalypse to deal with)
Hmmm... :|
-------------
I'm back
-------------
URMA in CYOC
Terminus

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (953)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Subotai45 » 18 Mar 2016, 02:39

I'm definitely interested in the Academy being a recurring thing. Next fall/winter I'll definitely start up a new one, unless people want to start it earlier.
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127

Postby mat.gopack » 18 Mar 2016, 21:34

Alright, so where do we want to do this post-graduation continuation? In the Academy thread or a new one?
.·ï¨Ï¨Ï¨ï·.mat.gopack.·ï¨Ï¨Ï¨ï·.
Mattopia of the Mattibean Union in CYOC. You should join ;)

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

Spreadsheets are fun!
mat.gopack

Standard rating: (929)
All-game rating: (929)

Postby Subotai45 » 18 Mar 2016, 21:39

I could rename the Academy thread to something more appropriate and we could keep going here for continuity's sake.
Subotai45

Postby mat.gopack » 18 Mar 2016, 21:55

Subotai45 wrote:I could rename the Academy thread to something more appropriate and we could keep going here for continuity's sake.

Sure, that could work.

Spreadsheets are fun!
mat.gopack

Re: Academy Reunion: Mars Conference

Postby Subotai45 » 18 Mar 2016, 22:05

This work?
Subotai45

Postby mat.gopack » 18 Mar 2016, 22:11

Sure, looks good to me. I think I'll try to write up a general background post for the conference later today - it'd probably be nice to also have everyone who's still in it give a short overview of what the characters coming back did in the last 10 years :P

Spreadsheets are fun!
mat.gopack

Postby Subotai45 » 18 Mar 2016, 22:23

Can we shift the time for this either before or after the South American War? Otherwise, I feel like a few of our people might be taken up by war duties.
Subotai45

Postby mat.gopack » 18 Mar 2016, 22:27

Subotai45 wrote:Can we shift the time for this either before or after the South American War? Otherwise, I feel like a few of our people might be taken up by war duties.

well, time is fairly nebulous here. How many years after the Academy are we considering the South American War (SAW?) to be? Probably easiest to base it off of the royal marriage, which appears to have been ~5 years after Antoine left, so 3 years after graduation (Since he left 2 years into the curriculum). Add 2 years on top of that for the war to start, and we have 5 years after the war starts of wriggle room.

If we want to be too technical with the exact timing of it in real time, but given that we've never really bothered to correlate them... :P

Spreadsheets are fun!
mat.gopack

Postby mat.gopack » 18 Mar 2016, 23:59

10 years after the concerned class graduates from the Academy, an event happens to bring them all together again. In the Martian region of Ko-Olah, hugely valuable deposits of rare metals are found. Unfortunately, all 3 of the neighboring nations have claimed the mountains under which this windfall lies for decades.

Here are the players involved:

NPC 1: Principality of Koloris. This state was founded centuries ago, right after the terraforming of Mars. A fabulously wealthy Sybian businessman, Koloris, purchased a wide chunk of land in the region. He then made it into a sovereign state, hereditary of course. Due to his wealth, and connections in Sybus, he invested heavily into the fledgling nation. Currently, his descendants are still extremely wealthy, and Koloris is the most prosperous of the 3 states in Ko-Olah. Politically, it's a parliamentary monarchy, with most of the system in the ruling prince (think Germany during the Kaiserreich, with perhaps a tad more power to the ruler). Economically, it has fertile terrain, as well as a nicely sized industrial component (focusing on fairly niche products, resulting in it being remarkably stable). Militarily, they are the 2nd strongest, but with well paid and equipped troops. (NOTE - they're humans, not toasters. This was before Sybus became robots, and colonists came from most nations on earth anyways)

NPC 2: Republic of Olahria. This is a 150-200 year old state, centered on its capital city of Olahria. It is currently in heavy decline, following the near collapse of its economy 20 years ago. It had always been heavily reliant on heavy industry, but they could not compete with the PCG. There still hasn't been a replacement for the industrial segment of their economy, causing heavy discontentment in the population. Neither of the two other NPCs have attacked it yet, due to the difficulty of putting down all the revolts that would inevitably spring up if either of the 2 rivals took it on. However, that loyalty to the nation is not the same as loyalty to the rulers... Of further interest, Olahria is currently granting asylum to some notable anti-Techabaun figures, who protest what they call the 'subjugation of their homeland'.

NPC 3: Ralis. The youngest of the 3 states (~20 years old), this is a dictatorship brought together by conquest, by a warlord. It has what is commonly accepted as the strongest military of the 3, at least by pure size. The ruler has really brought his iron fist down unto the nation, turning it into a police state, and attempting to stabilize it to try to establish a permanent dynasty. He's been eyeing the lands held by Olahria for a few years now, and after that, likely Koloris as well - although currently he doesn't quite have the strength to take either on and guarantee a way to win the following occupation.

This is the stage upon which the Academy Graduates return. The FUN was able to arrange for a diplomatic conference to be held in the city of Olahria, and many of the most powerful nations of the Sol system have sent representatives, with discordant goals. How will the former classmates achieve their various tasks, now that they're in the real world? What will happen in Ko-Olah?

we should include a short description of the last decade for the characters involved when we bring them back - as for their goals/national goals, keeping them secret or revealing them should both be fun :P

I can add any suggestions to the above, but it should give us a nice backdrop to RP around.

Spreadsheets are fun!
mat.gopack

PreviousNext

Return to Create Your Own Country