Universal People's Federation

Forum game hosted by Flatley

Moderators: mat.gopack, Zander, chrisman39

Re: Republic of Venus

Postby musashisamurai » 15 Oct 2014, 15:25

Subotai45 wrote:OOC: This is supposed to be more similar to Ender's Game than an actual military academy. It's been a tool for Argentine diplomacy and fun from its founding.

IC: Victoria del Rovia hails from the city of Mar del Plata, a small exclave on Mars, bordered by Aresian territory. Mar del Plata is a traditional home for Argentine nationalists, who have opposed Argentine union with any other power from the days of the Confederacy. Her parents belonged to such a group, and aimed to organize a rebellion to secure Mar del Plata's independence from Venus.

Victoria informed on her parents at the age of nine, placing nation above family, and earning the attention of the central government. Victoria, who had renounced her last name, and created her own, went to Mar del Plata Military High School, preparing her for a future at a Venusian military college, and afterward, a commission in the military.

While there, she showed herself to be exceptionally gifted in her studies, and devout in her love for Venus.

OOC: Ahh, now I see. Still, I think boot camp and military experience are the best methods of training officers. Ender's Gane, great book, but Orson Scott Card was no vet and quite honestly, his views on politics (and other issues) kinda disgust me (some of them).

That girl is a scumbag btw, for informing on her parents. Never TRUST her EVER. Just saying
¸,,¸_____}\,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...,,,,,,
`’’´¯¯¯¯¯}/’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’¨¨¨¯
The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth-it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.
musashisamurai

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby narwhalwarlord » 15 Oct 2014, 21:48

Don`t worry, Musashi. There`s actually a serious reasoning behind setting the school up like this. There`s a purpose behind the madness, and a cause behind the causeless.

Welcome to the nightmare. Welcome to the madness.

Welcome to....

SERIAL EXPERIMENTS NAR

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDAeOatiooM

Dis gun be good.

And yes, Card is a hack. I pirated the movie to screw with him.
COWARDS, I WILL NEVER "SELF-CRIT"

Venusian Colonial Despot/Post-Nazbol/Part-Time Warrior
narwhalwarlord

Standard rating: (947)
All-game rating: (948)

Postby dcaibal » 15 Oct 2014, 21:56

When I saw LAIN in one of your projects earlier, I began to suspect this was gonna be happening...
First Karma Contributor: Pez

Ottoman Emperor (Not Sultan)- HOTW
Immortal Advisor to the Royal Family of the Union of the Aresian Empire and the Great Patallian Princedom- CYOC
Marty McFly wrote:Wait Doc -you're telling you made a time machine... out of a DeLorean!?

CmndrMaggs wrote:Well f*ck.
x7
dcaibal

Location: I'm a frequent-time-traveler. So try and figure out the wibbly...
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (886)

Postby Subotai45 » 15 Oct 2014, 22:55

musashisamurai wrote:
Subotai45 wrote:OOC: This is supposed to be more similar to Ender's Game than an actual military academy. It's been a tool for Argentine diplomacy and fun from its founding.

IC: Victoria del Rovia hails from the city of Mar del Plata, a small exclave on Mars, bordered by Aresian territory. Mar del Plata is a traditional home for Argentine nationalists, who have opposed Argentine union with any other power from the days of the Confederacy. Her parents belonged to such a group, and aimed to organize a rebellion to secure Mar del Plata's independence from Venus.

Victoria informed on her parents at the age of nine, placing nation above family, and earning the attention of the central government. Victoria, who had renounced her last name, and created her own, went to Mar del Plata Military High School, preparing her for a future at a Venusian military college, and afterward, a commission in the military.

While there, she showed herself to be exceptionally gifted in her studies, and devout in her love for Venus.

OOC: Ahh, now I see. Still, I think boot camp and military experience are the best methods of training officers. Ender's Gane, great book, but Orson Scott Card was no vet and quite honestly, his views on politics (and other issues) kinda disgust me (some of them).

That girl is a scumbag btw, for informing on her parents. Never TRUST her EVER. Just saying

Boot camp and military experience probably are, which is why there are only 75 people here, and thousands trained in other ways. And Victoria certainly isn't the good guy here.
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127
Timezone: GMT-9

Postby Subotai45 » 16 Oct 2014, 02:13

The bell rings, sparing the class from the continuation of the argument, and the students spill out of the room and flood the hallway. Juan makes his way to the cafeteria area, one of his favorite places in the school. The lunchroom is a large open area, with tables scattered around, almost at random, with some large, comfortable chairs interspersed throughout the room. The walls are lined with books, mainly on military history, but including a wide variety of subjects.

A variety of groups have arrived before him and laid claim to certain tables. The Venusians, as in nearly all areas of the school, make up a vast majority. He recognizes most of the faces - after all, it's a small school. He waves to Miguel, who appears to be sketching out a new spacecraft design. Miguel was quite disappointed when he discovered that the school did not have a tankery team, due to lack of room for practice. Miguel decided to create a new sport, based on space combat, but Juan didn't have the heart to tell him that it'd be cost-prohibitive for every school but theirs.

The Pallisians sit at a table largely by themselves. They don't talk much.

The Martians, the smallest group in the school, claimed a table near the corner. Juan likes the Martians. It was the goal of every Venusian Scout to make it to the Darius Scout Reservation, and Juan treasured his time there, hiking in the mountains, camping under the stars, and paddling a canoe down the roads when the largest rainstorm in half a century hit. The experience convinced him to research the famous leader of the PCG, and Juan discovered that he quite admired the man. Juan hopes that he could have a similar impact on Venus as Darius did on Mars. As he approaches the Martians, he realizes that, although certified geniuses, they are sorely lacking in the acting department. It's clear that they're up to no good, and Juan's face lights up in a grin. "No good" usually translates to loads of fun.
Subotai45

Postby Subotai45 » 16 Oct 2014, 02:27

This also hasn't passed unnoticed by Victoria, who wandered into the lunchroom proper after dropping by the kitchen to grab lunch. She notices the hushes that erupt from the Martian table whenever one of them raises a voice above a whisper, the furtive glances that dart around the lunchroom, the false conversations that start whenever they believe someone's gotten into earshot. They aren't really at fault for being noticed, she supposes, as they aren't used to Venusians yet. The inhabitants of Argentina received enhanced hearing nearly two centuries ago, and although the lunchroom is quite noisy, it only takes a little bit of focus to get the idea that something is just a little bit off at the table.

Victoria, who does have an idea of how to remain unnoticed, walks over to a chair. It's far enough away from the Martians that she won't be noticed, but close enough that she believes she'll be able to hear their conversation. She grabs a book off the shelf, for use as a sort of disguise, and sits down on the chair, tucking her legs under her. Unfortunately, she realizes that she hadn't placed herself properly, and isn't capable of hearing anything of substance in the conversation. She resigns herself to the temporary setback, and figures that she'll have a chance to actually read the book.

She puts it out of her mind, thinking that she'll easily catch them next time, when she notices Juan walking over to the Martians with a grin on his face. Cursing herself for not managing to get closer, she realizes that Juan's involvement in whatever they're planning cannot be good.
Subotai45

Postby musashisamurai » 16 Oct 2014, 02:45

OOC:

Really? This is a bunch of kids. One got in cuz he had family; another from sports (tankery, but still, not real military experience). Another of the 75 is an agent implanted to protect the other guy. The only one who could arguably has a 'boot camp' experience is Victoria from her military high school, and even that is isn't real military experience. @OCS (and other real) military academies your whole life is so regimented and scheduled, you don't have time for things like these. Hell, one of the big things about plebe summer is getting a bunch of talented, really smart, athletic young adults to realize that they are small fish in a huge ocean and need to listen to other people for advice, teachings, and of course, in military life, orders.

@Narwhal
I never actually saw the movie. Once I got old enough and understood Card's stances on things, I couldn't really bring myself to like him. I still like Ender's Game, but not enough that I wanted to see a movie on it.
`’’´¯¯¯¯¯}/’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’¨¨¨¯
The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth-it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.
musashisamurai

Postby narwhalwarlord » 16 Oct 2014, 02:50

dcaibal wrote:When I saw LAIN in one of your projects earlier, I began to suspect this was gonna be happening...

I won't divulge the nature of what Subs and I are doing. But consider this - after what happened last time we had foreigners on a space station, our security is quite good. Too good, even' t be beaten by Wesley Crusher and Associates. And who keeps labs on a school station?

Aheh. Aheh. Ahehehehehehehe.

Assuming Gendo Position.
COWARDS, I WILL NEVER "SELF-CRIT"

Venusian Colonial Despot/Post-Nazbol/Part-Time Warrior
narwhalwarlord

Standard rating: (947)
All-game rating: (948)

Postby Subotai45 » 16 Oct 2014, 02:54

OOC: I'll admit, this did get further off-track than I anticipated. It was supposed to be closer to West Point than Hogwarts. Then the others posted and the average age dropped four years (which is likely a good thing), but it was never a boot camp. That's the point. You're not getting the idea of this: it was made it's been for made out of boredom when I was in an Ender's Game phase, and from it's founding existed for me to hand out diplomatic favors. One of its main goals was to have an RP. An actual military training base wouldn't be nearly as much fun.
Subotai45

Postby musashisamurai » 16 Oct 2014, 02:57

narwhalwarlord wrote:
dcaibal wrote:When I saw LAIN in one of your projects earlier, I began to suspect this was gonna be happening...

I won't divulge the nature of what Subs and I are doing. But consider this - after what happened last time we had foreigners on a space station, our security is quite good. Too good, even' t be beaten by Wesley Crusher and Associates. And who keeps labs on a school station?

Aheh. Aheh. Ahehehehehehehe.

Assuming Gendo Position.

Is it really strange, powerful creatures made through advanced biotech? We keep those near (in actually) some of our advanced training locations, for a real "live-fire" simulation with actual "life-or-death" odds.

@Subs

Oh dude, your misunderstanding me. Originally, I was just trolling you guys with bad, sarcastic comments but I do like the roleplaying. The boot camp was just when (I forgot how or why) I mentioned military academies elsewhere (in CYOC and IRL).

PS If you like Ender's Game, you should read Armor by John Steakley. Awesome book. Another good read, though entirely different, is Neuromancer by William Gibson. Oddly enough, I've written research papers on all of them.
musashisamurai

PreviousNext

Return to Create Your Own Country