International Football Organization IFO

Forum game hosted by Flatley

Moderators: mat.gopack, Zander, chrisman39

International Football Organization IFO

Postby RedSun » 10 Jun 2019, 17:38

“So Jonisilk and I plan to create and host a football (soccer) tournament.

There hasn’t really been a competitive event on site since the Partition of China so this could be a friendly competition unless tensions heat up.

We’ve been talking about it for a little while and since in the sports thing posted most everyone has football as a sport with a history in their country we want to make an international system for some friendly competition.

Therefore jon and I would really appreciate it if people could express their interest here as it would help us out in deciding the format of the competition.”
Groups:
Asteria Republic in CYOC
Silver Classicist
RedSun

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: International Football Organization IFO

Postby Subotai45 » 11 Jun 2019, 18:08

The Federation will participate. While it doesn’t have any truly professional teams, its semipro Union league attracts spectators consistently and has a reasonably high level of play. If this is a World Cup scenario with national teams, the Federation will cherrypick players from the union teams.
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby jonisilk » 12 Jun 2019, 16:56

Sorry guys, I was supposed to send out a group email, but I didn't have the time (and probably would've missed someone off the list, so posting it here is probably the better option).

We're leaning toward a World Cup style tournament. Just let us know you're interested, like Subs has above (cheers Subs).

The other thing is how your nation is competing - As individual countries or blob-nations/unified teams.

Subs has Venus entering a unified team (or what I call a 'blob-nation'). Asteria is another example of a blob-nation who could enter as one or more nations. Mobius is another blob nation, but like Asteria they can also choose to enter unified, or seperately, as NVC, Pacific, et al.

So let us know if you're in and what kind of team you'll be sending.

For example, I'm doing a bit of both:

PCG Mars is competing as a unified team (due to gravity, football is less popular than a Martian variation on the game that's far less physically demanding and doesn't require stadia with artificial gravity to play properly).

Meanwhile, South America will be competing seperately as Colombia, Ecudaor, etc (as each nation already has a well-developed professional game) however, they are at different levels, so not all of them can be sure of qualifying* for the actual tournament (because I obviously won't be taking up 5 of the 16 places myself!).

* - Once we know who wants in, we kinda plan on retrofitting some qualifying campaigns to get everyone who wants to be there to the tournament (current thinking is that qualifying will be split into North and South Hemispheres on Earth, as most players are Earth-based, with Venus qualifying via the Martian group).

There are 16 places available, so step-up if you're interested (any blank spaces will be filled with NPC's to make up the numbers).

So far we have:

Asteria
(Redman)
VSFSR/PREU (Subs)
PCG Mars (Jon)
Colombia/Peru/Amazonia/Ecuador (also Jon)

If you want in, post below.
Last edited by jonisilk on 12 Jun 2019, 19:00, edited 2 times in total.
The enemies of my enemies are not necessarily my friend, but they may still be useful.

Member of the Classicists.
jonisilk

Standard rating: (1312)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Subotai45 » 12 Jun 2019, 18:37

If it’s alright I’d like to amend my entry to be two teams: VSFSR (Venus proper and Mar del Plata) and PREU (extrasolar). If that doesn’t work out either because it makes the Martian group too large or such, then I’m fine being one federal team, especially because I’m going to be gone for the next five weeks and unless this gets really going in the next couple days then my involvement will be entirely retrospective.
Subotai45

Postby jonisilk » 12 Jun 2019, 18:59

That's cool, I'm off travelling 2moro for a couple of weeks, so this is still a little way off yet.
The enemies of my enemies are not necessarily my friend, but they may still be useful.

jonisilk

Postby Subotai45 » 12 Jun 2019, 23:47

How will gene-mods be treated? Will teams be allowed to play if the players have genetic modifications or cybernetic enhancements?
Subotai45

Postby jonisilk » 13 Jun 2019, 01:18

Not entirely sure, but I feel like we should be nerfing them, in the interest of fair-play.

If you can find an IC way of doing this (temporary gene-suppression serums, or something similar that prevents you from being OP'd), then that would be perfect.

jonisilk

Postby Subotai45 » 13 Jun 2019, 03:57

If they’d need to physically and mentally regress to the level of a baseline human, it’d be nearly impossible to complete, given that they’d be walking around essentially in skin that isn’t their own. We understand that genetic modification, like any medicine or treatment, makes us better off than those who don’t have it, but it’s only antiquated ideas about GM that would prevent the world’s athletes from competing on our level.

If the IFO insists on primitive anti-enhancement thought they’ll be excluding huge portions of the global community from Sybermen to Venusians.
Subotai45

Postby RedSun » 13 Jun 2019, 04:16

So we’re working on some mechanics. If you want to associate all your best athletes to be super gene nodded and your regular players to be your lower rated players be our guests. We’re making sure it’s balanced from a mechanical level so everyone can compete but the IC narratives are up for discussion.
Groups:
Asteria Republic in CYOC
Silver Classicist
RedSun

Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Subotai45 » 13 Jun 2019, 05:54

OOC, I'm sympathetic to the idea of a mechanical minigame in CYOC and I understand the problems that Venusians (and to lesser extents Cooperative robodudes, Pacifican/NVC gene-modded folk, whatever Baun is doing, people from all nations with large colonial planets that just get ripped by walking, etc) pose. However, Venusian military strength for centuries has been predicated on being a planet of flying monstrosities - so I'm not going to toss that away by entering in a Venusian team where, in an event that is more or less canon, a top-flight Venusian athlete is still just about as strong, fast, or smart as a baseline human. For IC reasons, explained below, I'm IC not super interested in using a "cure" for gene-mods.

IC:
UPF says "If the IFO doesn't reconsider its policies that force the non-standard races of Sol to conform to some arbitrary standard of genetic or cybernetic purity, the Federation will not be sending any official national teams. After centuries of discrimination from the wider solar community, we will not regress or succumb to archaic anti-medical thought that demonizes genetic or cybernetic modification. Further, for an organization that purports to represent the international community, it seems to represent only that portion which is like itself, without truly accepting other races in a genuine manner. If all peoples are able to participate, then we will as well, but as long as we or any other "deviant" peoples are forbidden, we will sit out."
Subotai45

Next

Return to Create Your Own Country