Phase timing

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Phase timing

Postby DinDiplomacy » 23 Dec 2020, 20:02

I would like if we could set the time each phase is concluded. We find the time creep of 5ish minutes per phase (playing a 24/phase game) annoying and it should be a simple option to give.
DinDiplomacy
Premium Member

Re: Phase timing

Postby Latanst1 » 24 Dec 2020, 02:06

Unfortunately, we have all chosen to live on a sphere. With an international cast of players, someone is almost always inconvenienced. For those of us living in less active parts of the world, many of us prefer some shifting in the timer over time so that we can all have an opportunity to occasionally have the deadlines fall at a more convenient local time. Keep in mind that the deadline creep is only active when players refuse to finalize their orders for some reason.

DinDiplomacy wrote:I would like if we could set the time each phase is concluded. We find the time creep of 5ish minutes per phase (playing a 24/phase game) annoying and it should be a simple option to give.
Latanst1
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1124
All-game rating: 1198
Timezone: GMT+9

Postby UM85 » 24 Dec 2020, 05:44

For the 5min creep in the time, are you referring to the time that it takes for the server to process the orders and redraw the map after timer reaches 0? If so, that's an unfortunate function of the game and not much that can be done about it except maybe have everyone Finalize at an agreed upon, specific time. (And if there were such an agreed-upon time, there would be one person - probably me - who would purposely miss it just to get in someone's head.
UM85

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1316)
All-game rating: (1318)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby VGhost » 24 Dec 2020, 19:01

I think I agree with the OP that this is something that should be addressed. I don't think it should be hard to fix but I'm not sure as I don't do the programming.

For games without finalization, it should be easiest: deadlines are at game start + deadline timing.

With finalization, I'd think you'd want the reference time to be when the game goes into process instead of when it comes out. FWIW this also matches typical drop-dead/central clock timing F2F, where any time spent on orders comes out of the next phases.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
VGhost
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 987
All-game rating: 901
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Suggestions