Game ending mechanics

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Game ending mechanics

Postby zeke234 » 13 Dec 2020, 21:15

When a game ends in a draw or win, the game disappears from active games immediately. It would be nicer if the game didn't disappear for a game turn after the finish. I like to write, and read, end game comments from the other players. While this is technically possible by going into the finished games and use the shoutbox, that doesn't seem to happen. It would be much easier for the players to make after game comments if the game stayed in the "active games" area for another game season.
zeke234

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (978)
All-game rating: (979)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Game ending mechanics

Postby Audacia » 13 Dec 2020, 22:38

You can do that through the private message feature after the game, too. It took me a while to learn this and I felt the same as you. But then a friend showed me the pm feature and it was all good. Let me know if need help finding the feature, for it was not obvious to me.

Audacia
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.

One of the best things that ever happened to me is that I'm a woman.

All of us are stars and we deserve to twinkle.
Audacia
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1015
All-game rating: 988
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Latanst1 » 14 Dec 2020, 02:59

You can also click 'Watch Game' at any point which creates a link under the 'My Watched Games' tab for easy access during and after the game play. There are often final comments about finished games along with in-game messages sent during the final turn and this feature makes it much easier to find these rather than needing to remember the title or game number.

zeke234 wrote:When a game ends in a draw or win, the game disappears from active games immediately. It would be nicer if the game didn't disappear for a game turn after the finish. I like to write, and read, end game comments from the other players. While this is technically possible by going into the finished games and use the shoutbox, that doesn't seem to happen. It would be much easier for the players to make after game comments if the game stayed in the "active games" area for another game season.
Latanst1
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1124
All-game rating: 1198
Timezone: GMT+9

Postby Oxmeister » 14 Dec 2020, 15:24

Completely agree with this suggestion. When my games have finished I've not seen a single comment exchanged on the shoutbox in either game, which is a real disappointment. Yes, people could find it if they wanted, but I imagine some people didn't realise there were comments on there to check.

Audacia wrote:You can do that through the private message feature after the game, too. It took me a while to learn this and I felt the same as you. But then a friend showed me the pm feature and it was all good. Let me know if need help finding the feature, for it was not obvious to me.

Audacia

I PM'd a couple of people ,but I think the problem again here is that the feature is hidden on the forum, and I suspect only a minority use the forum (and thus are not logged into it).

So either leave the game in the active games for a turn as suggested, or make the PM feature sitewide, or ideally both.
Oxmeister
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1290
All-game rating: 1465
Timezone: GMT

Postby Jack007 » 14 Dec 2020, 15:38

Oxmeister wrote:...
So either leave the game in the active games for a turn as suggested, or make the PM feature sitewide, or ideally both.

I agree with Oxmeister's remarks and support both above suggestions.
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1519
All-game rating: 1619
Timezone: GMT+1

Return to Suggestions