Exclude Player?

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Exclude Player?

Postby bratsffl » 03 Sep 2020, 01:31

I have to think this has been discussed before, but couldn't find quickly; hey I'm an Oldie, right?

When looking for games, how about an exclude some user option; specifically related to below.
Or a only non surrendered user game; meaning users who have never surrendered?
Or a threshold?

I have no desire to play with people that have intentionally surrendered.

Of course as I'm casting this stone, I should probably look back to see if I've ever surrendered. I honestly don't think I've ever consciously and intentionally surrendered. Possibly when travelling; hard to make a 12/24 hour deadline when you're on a 20 hour flight? And I do think I may have accidentally hit the surrender button once in the propose draw/status window - did I say I'm an oldie?

In relation to the last one, is there a way to reinstate a surrendered player?
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Never surrender

Oldie
Classicists
bratsffl
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 933
All-game rating: 1047
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Exclude Player?

Postby Custer » 03 Sep 2020, 03:34

Somebody get him his meds............Jeeves!

LoL

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 1019
All-game rating: 1246
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Custer » 03 Sep 2020, 03:37

Jeeves3.jpg
Jeeves3.jpg (11.59 KiB) Viewed 1500 times

Yes sir?

Tend to Mr Brats as in hot dogs? Or is it Brats as in snotty little kids? He needs a drink....and his meds. Thank you, Jeeves.

LoL

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 1019
All-game rating: 1246
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Verse9 » 03 Sep 2020, 05:24

Why not just play Ambassador only games? Ambassador's tend to be reliable.
Verse9
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1309
All-game rating: 1329

Postby Latanst1 » 03 Sep 2020, 07:20

Perhaps you could put a positive spin on the goal by 'restricting access' to the game you intend to create?

By clearing stating the types of players you are seeking in the game description and in any advertising you do for the game, and perhaps by controlling password access, you could theoretically 'exclude' anyone you like. There are already many 'access restricted' games such as Ambassador Only games, games restricted to various Classicist levels, etc. There are games that are being played only in certain languages (French, etc.). And, of course, the tournament games all operate under their own rules regarding player qualifications.

There is probably a limit as to what you can restrict but I am sure complaints will be heard or the game will go unsubscribed if something unreasonable is demanded.

If you are trying to exclude players who surrender (or restrict access only to those who have not surrendered, Ambassadors Only setting should be sufficient.

Good luck!

bratsffl wrote:I have to think this has been discussed before, but couldn't find quickly; hey I'm an Oldie, right?

When looking for games, how about an exclude some user option; specifically related to below.
Or a only non surrendered user game; meaning users who have never surrendered?
Or a threshold?

I have no desire to play with people that have intentionally surrendered.

Of course as I'm casting this stone, I should probably look back to see if I've ever surrendered. I honestly don't think I've ever consciously and intentionally surrendered. Possibly when travelling; hard to make a 12/24 hour deadline when you're on a 20 hour flight? And I do think I may have accidentally hit the surrender button once in the propose draw/status window - did I say I'm an oldie?

In relation to the last one, is there a way to reinstate a surrendered player?
Latanst1
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1124
All-game rating: 1198
Timezone: GMT+9

Postby Audacia » 03 Sep 2020, 12:08

I just finished an ambassador game with an intentionally surrendered Russia to my Austria which really bogged the game down. Anecdotal, but being am ambassador is no ironclad guarantee of professionalism. I agree, there is a difference between NMRing twice (perhaps due to computer/travel issues) and actually hitting that button.
Last edited by Audacia on 09 Oct 2020, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.

One of the best things that ever happened to me is that I'm a woman.

All of us are stars and we deserve to twinkle.
Audacia
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1015
All-game rating: 1000

Postby Jack007 » 03 Sep 2020, 12:30

I would never accept a player who would have me in their game.

Groucho Marx (slightly modified)

:D
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1519
All-game rating: 1619
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Guns of Brixton » 03 Sep 2020, 14:26

The Classicists groups and Ambassador classes are this site's method of protecting you from being linked up with surrender monkeyspeople who don't share one's aversion to surrendering. The groups are a way to find fellow players with the experience and track record you can trust to play out a good game. By having the groups chaired by people trying to uphold the standards, exceptional circumstances can be pleaded and judged on a case-by-case basis. Games can be password-protected with the creator only soliciting players from the ranks of the Classicists.

The Ambassador classes have rigid criteria without appeal. This is useful for those wanting to filter games (Ambassador only) without having to manually select co-players. Particularly useful for PPO and Anonymous games that necessarily cannot have a password (if the game creator wishes to play as well) but wants some manner of protection that ensures a good game.

I think these two avenues satisfy most needs - yet another filter or class is a bit over the top and may be unfair to people who have had a surrender or NMR beyond their control.
Platinum Classicist
Channel Swimmer
Guns of Brixton
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1540
All-game rating: 1599
Timezone: GMT

Return to Suggestions