Suggestions for a 5 player game?

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Suggestions for a 5 player game?

Postby jasmikelos9 » 30 Aug 2020, 09:05

I searched for this topic but couldn't find a thread.

Just curious of any suggestions. We are playing at work during lunch, one season a day, so the game really gets a chance to become part of our day. First game took a month.

However, we lost a couple players and having trouble finding two more so we are going to try five player. We read about making Germany and Italy in a state of unrest. Curious if anyone has tried this or have other suggestions.
jasmikelos9

Re: Suggestions for a 5 player game?

Postby super_dipsy » 30 Aug 2020, 09:13

Best option would be to play Ancient Med (which is designed as a 5 player game) or a 5-player escalation game. The shorthanded versions of classic Diplomacy do their best but are not really designed to be that balanced. The 5 player one (where G and I are in Civil Disorder) seems to me to rather bias against England and Turkey. But if you just want a bit of fun, it would probably do, Ancient Med and I think escalation games are Premium so if you are all non-premium you would either need premium credits or your only choice is the 5-way shorthanded variant.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Suggestions for a 5 player game?

Postby WHSeward » 30 Aug 2020, 22:30

Also, Escalation is a reasonable option for a 5-handed game on the classic map.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Return to Suggestions