Seeking Feedback: Versailles Unit Colors

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Seeking Feedback: Versailles Unit Colors

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 02 Aug 2019, 18:54

Overly Similar Colors
On the Versailles map, one problem that I and other players frequently run into is in identifying a unit's country, particularly when it's sitting in the ocean or on a territory that country doesn't yet possess. I would love to do a total revamp of the entire color scheme for that map, but I know that may be controversial, especially as it's one of the most popular variant maps on the site (and people's tastes in color schemes vary widely).

So for starters, I'm proposing some subtle tweaks to unit colors. I'm hoping this will improve usability a bit without being overly disruptive.

Demo Before / After Picture
  • The color bars on the left-hand side represent territory colors on the map as they are today. I am not planning to change these at this time.
  • The units in the first and third columns are the existing unit images (before).
  • The units in the second and fourth columns are the proposed unit images (after).
20190802 ver units before after.png
Units before / after proposed color tweaks, shown over territory colors (left) and water-like pattern (right).
20190802 ver units before after.png (192.65 KiB) Viewed 292 times

You may also notice that the base art is slightly different between the before and after images here. I've tried to preserve them as best as I could, but the original layered source files (GIMP or Photoshop or whatnot) appear to have been lost. It's exceedingly tedious to edit the raw PNGs, as I discovered when developing the art for WITA, so I had to rebuild all the core unit sets in SVG instead. These are currently being used on the WITA maps. Luckily, these SVG versions are much easier to edit and export in future.

Demo Before / After (Shuffled Units)
Some pairs of colors appear more similar to one another when they occur far apart from each other. To that end, I've also mocked up an image of just the before / after units below, but in a more jumbled order.
20190802 ver shuffled.png
Units before / after proposed color tweaks, ordered to keep similar colors separate
20190802 ver shuffled.png (119.45 KiB) Viewed 292 times

Feedback Needed
Are these changes an improvement? Or should I just bite the bullet and come up with an entirely new color scheme that brings about more differentiation between the 14 powers?
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1471
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Seeking Feedback: Versailles Unit Colors

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 02 Aug 2019, 18:57

Note 1:
Now that I'm looking at it, I realize that my "improvement" to Egypt actually made it more similar to Britain than it was before. There I was primarily focused on making it different from Spain, but I'll have to go back and adjust that one again.

Note 2:
The demo exports are a bit blurry for some countries due to some aliasing issues. I'll fix that for round 2 so that all the icons are equally crisp.

Note 3:
Maps used for the actual game are compressed down to 256 color mode after they’re fully assembled, while these images are not. That means that on occasion, certain units belonging to different countries may actually have their colors changed algorithmically to be identical. This is another reason why greater differentiation is important, as differing colors are less likely to be merged in the compression process.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Postby Big Gun » 05 Aug 2019, 00:44

NoPun - you brought this up a few months ago but it didn't get much traction. Why the need to push this again? The Versailles colours right now are just fine.

BG
Big Gun

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1410)
All-game rating: (2263)
Timezone: GMT

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 05 Aug 2019, 00:53

Big Gun wrote:NoPun - you brought this up a few months ago but it didn't get much traction. Why the need to push this again? The Versailles colours right now are just fine.

BG

If you note, this time I’m not proposing drastic changes. And that thread was full of folks who had the same problem distinguishing units even if they didn’t care for the color scheme I had proposed.

This time I’m only proposing very subtle changes to the units to provide some additional differentiation.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Postby Woolgie » 05 Aug 2019, 16:09

The left and right image colours look the same on my iPad. It’s possible I can notice a change in Czech but it’s reeeeally subtle. If you think these will be I’d benefit in game then I support the change.

Another thing I’d like to raise in this genre is getting country tooltips to work on touchscreens where there isn’t a mouse to roll over the units. Where currently a press on your unit brings up the move menu perhaps a press on other units country being up the country name?
Jon Stark in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire III - Winter is coming
GMing my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
Woolgie
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1028
All-game rating: 920
Timezone: GMT

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 05 Aug 2019, 17:56

Woolgie wrote:Another thing I’d like to raise in this genre is getting country tooltips to work on touchscreens where there isn’t a mouse to roll over the units. Where currently a press on your unit brings up the move menu perhaps a press on other units country being up the country name?

I like this idea and will write up a feature request ticket to look at it in the future.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Return to Suggestions