Falklands

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Falklands

Postby Locutus » 30 Jul 2019, 18:45

If the WitA map is to be based upon named places as of 1840/41, should not the "Malvinas" be more accurately named Falklands since the UK asserted it's rule there as of 1833?
Locutus
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 911
All-game rating: 942
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Falklands

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 30 Jul 2019, 19:03

Locutus wrote:If the WitA map is to be based upon named places as of 1840/41, should not the "Malvinas" be more accurately named Falklands since the UK asserted it's rule there as of 1833?

I decided to split the difference on that particular naming conflict. The islands get to be named Malvinas while the Falkland Current is immediately adjacent.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1471
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Locutus » 30 Jul 2019, 23:25

It's was designated a Crown Colony in 1840. What conflict?
Locutus
Premium Member

Standard rating: 911
All-game rating: 942
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 31 Jul 2019, 00:04

Locutus wrote:It's was designated a Crown Colony in 1840. What conflict?

I’m referring to the overly politicized present-day conflict over how the islands should be named. Because I knew that no matter which name I put on the map, somebody would raise a stink over it. Both names have their history and validity, and it was useful to me to have Falkland be used as the name of the adjacent sea space.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Postby Caladin » 31 Jul 2019, 08:31

I'm with Locotus on this. The naming convention seems to be to name the province as per its existing name or its current name (some of the Western US states). Neither seems to justify the Falklands being renamed.

If there needs to be a compromise, due to the need for two things that would otherwise be called "Falklands" it seems it would be better to call the Islands "The Falklands" and the current the "Malvinas Current", as it is called in Argentina.

This is because while land names are generally indisputable, with the naming rights belonging to the current inhabitants, waterways are not always so, particularly for something like the Falklands Current which borders both Argentina and the Falklands. It seems odd to choose to do this the other way around.
Caladin
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 973
All-game rating: 941
Timezone: GMT+10

Postby Mr.E » 31 Jul 2019, 09:04

Not really an issue, but I suppose the question is possibly about how long they've been called the Falkland Islands versus how long they've been called the Malvinas. Either choice is political, in all honesty, so choosing one name over the other would depend on political conviction, I suppose.

I'm British so perhaps I'm biased. But I'm anti-colonial so I don't really have a preference either way. I wonder, though, when the nationalist idea that this set of islands began being owned as the Malvinas?

When it comes down to it, though, this is a name for a game. I think that the same people who question the naming of the islands as Falklands or Malvinas would also question the naming of the UK as England?

It's a name in a game, does it really matter that much?
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Standard rating: 966
All-game rating: 1134
Timezone: GMT

Postby Caladin » 31 Jul 2019, 09:22

Mr.E wrote:Not really an issue, but I suppose the question is possibly about how long they've been called the Falkland Islands versus how long they've been called the Malvinas. Either choice is political, in all honesty, so choosing one name over the other would depend on political conviction, I suppose.

They were named the French version of Las Malvina's in 1764, while they were named the Falklands in 1765. However, it has been under the control of people using the English name for ~195 years, while under the control of people using the Latin name for ~50 years, none more recent than 1833, bar the 1984 Invasion by Argentina.
Caladin
Premium Member

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 31 Jul 2019, 13:07

Folks, I’m not changing it. It’s too much hassle at this stage.

EDIT: I could potentially add “(Falklands)” next to Malvinas in the visual of the map. That would be an aesthetic-only change and wouldn’t require rewiring the whole underlying data structure of the map. Each space has a unique letter code, and changing that would be technically risky, especially since games are already in flight.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Postby Caladin » 31 Jul 2019, 13:39

NoPunIn10Did wrote:EDIT: I could potentially add “(Falklands)” next to Malvinas in the visual of the map. That would be an aesthetic-only change and wouldn’t require rewiring the whole underlying data structure of the map. Each space has a unique letter code, and changing that would be technically risky, especially since games are already in flight.

If each has a unique letter code, then would it not be possible to maintain the current underlying letter code while changing the name mapped to the letter code? Or is the letter code the name?

Otherwise, I feel adding (Falklands) would be better than no solution.
Caladin
Premium Member

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 31 Jul 2019, 13:59

Caladin wrote:
NoPunIn10Did wrote:EDIT: I could potentially add “(Falklands)” next to Malvinas in the visual of the map. That would be an aesthetic-only change and wouldn’t require rewiring the whole underlying data structure of the map. Each space has a unique letter code, and changing that would be technically risky, especially since games are already in flight.

If each has a unique letter code, then would it not be possible to maintain the current underlying letter code while changing the name mapped to the letter code? Or is the letter code the name?

Otherwise, I feel adding (Falklands) would be better than no solution.

I’ll explore that option, but I’m not a fan of having the letter codes differ so significantly from the names. It would mean that “Malv” would stand for “Falklands” and “Falk” would stand for Malvinas Current. Most of the time these abbreviations aren’t visible, but occasionally they show up.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Next

Return to Suggestions