Should we know if any orders have been entered

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Re: Should we know if any orders have been entered

Postby Strategus » 31 Jul 2019, 16:56

super_dipsy wrote:
Strategus wrote:It's not useless. Just because you don't find it useful.

Strategus, I understand you may find it useful because it may suggest to you someone is about to NMR. But my point was looking from the other end of the telescope. As a player who might not have got my orders in until late, I am disadvantaged because with this information available to you, you may decide I have gone and react accordingly. To me, the problem is not for the people USING the information, it is for the people the information is being USED UPON if you see what I mean. it means I have to strive to get orders in early or risk being judged to be absent.

Yeah.I get your argument. And I am not really fussed. I just don't like people using rhetoric to push an argument. Level playing field and all that. Interestinhly, Webdip jas gone for a system now which effectively prevents CD, which causes ridiculous delays to games. Prior to that, people were using that info to request pauses to prevent nmrs.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1583
All-game rating: 1708
Timezone: GMT

Postby dib » 02 Aug 2019, 10:12

For me its the FTF equivalence trump card.

I did say at the beginning that its a percentile guess whether someone is going to NMR

People often 'play dead' that wouldnt stop that ... they still wouldn't send messages and just put your order in late they dont care how they seem. It could happen in RL ofcourse. I am going for my last bus. Surprise guys i missed in and now I AM BACK!

This may not sound REALISTIC and ofcourse its not playing dead tactic is purely of this online version.

SD argument that you may be restricted by RL or timezone and may like putting you orders in late could be countered by a message

'Hey girls I am having RL/TimeZone/Thinking Time issues so my orders usually go in late note...'

Finally I repeat

You would know in the FTF game... so why not here - could it be a variant setting

We build this feature in because of TZ/Thinking issues do you want it or not?

Having said all that...It may be expensive to implement and isnt a major deal - thanks for everyones input...its good to hear different voices.

Dib
dib

Standard rating: 1824
All-game rating: 1942

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 02 Aug 2019, 17:39

dib wrote:For me its the FTF equivalence trump card.

I think the big difference is that F2F play is all done synchronously. It more closely resembles a live game, and you can guarantee that everyone is playing at the same time. With multi-hour and multi-day turns, the last person to turn in orders might not be the least reliable one, but may look that way. They may simply be the person whose online availability comes latest in the day. That's already going to cause some gameplay bias in terms of press responsiveness, but it might exacerbate that issue to have one's name/power show up with a big "has not turned in orders" symbol.

Now, I do think there are several ways in which we could bring about a more F2F-like experience online, but I don't think that particular UI element would actually be that constructive with a globe-spanning playerbase.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1471
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby dib » 04 Aug 2019, 16:12

Fair enough...the asynchronous argument is a good one i guess it depends on the duration of moves...

No wrote - ]Now, I do think there are several ways in which we could bring about a more F2F-like experience online
Pray tell!
dib

Standard rating: 1824
All-game rating: 1942

Previous

Return to Suggestions