Ambassadors, Diplomats and ... Attachés ?

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Ambassadors, Diplomats and ... Attachés ?

Postby drillbit » 03 Jul 2019, 10:41

The good thing about Ambassador only games is that you are much less likely to get NMR's or surrenders, which can seriously affect your game. The bad thing is that the pool of players you're playing against is significantly reduced.

What about introducing a new level for ranked games for players with a very high surrender/NMR rate?
Someone not quite able to perform the duties of a Diplomat. An Attaché perhaps?

There would be a few benefits to this:-
It gives new players to the site a slightly better chance of a full game.
It gives Ambassadors the option of playing in a larger pool of players whilst still avoiding the absolute worst offenders.
It could reduce NMR's/Surrenders overall as people would want to avoid becoming an Attaché.

I'd suggest unranked games not be affected by this as this would provide a way for Attachés to regain their Diplomat status.

Obviously there'd be more pro's & cons to consider, and it's just a suggestion, but I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts on this idea or a variation of it.

Personally I would love to see an Attachés only game. :D
drillbit
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1284
All-game rating: 1487
Timezone: GMT

Re: Ambassadors, Diplomats and ... Attachés ?

Postby AKFD » 03 Jul 2019, 12:35

What surrender/NMR rate do you suggest?

Personally, I am okay with the idea. I just don’t like using the class to humiliate people with it.
Because I have been through that situation.

I have had 2 major waves of surrenders, marked by busy schedules and personal problems, which greatly affects my style of playing until now.

A NMR rate of less than 85% would do. (So many people have rates higher than 90%)
Silver Classicist!

Apparently "the biggest GoT fan" (@Pootleflump)

Have fun on this website. Signing off.
AKFD

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 830
All-game rating: 764
Timezone: GMT+8

Re: Ambassadors, Diplomats and ... Attachés ?

Postby drillbit » 04 Jul 2019, 00:20

There was no intention to humiliate anyone with this suggestion, some players might care about it, some players won't. I just thought it might be an idea to consider as there are benefits to it.

In fact it might even be worth considering a few gradations for play consistency. That would give more flexibility and choice as to how large and consistent a pool of players you might want to open your game up to. I'm sure most games would end up still being open to all players but it would be an interesting experiment and I could see more positives coming out of it for the site than negatives.
drillbit
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1284
All-game rating: 1487
Timezone: GMT

Return to Suggestions