Is there a way to ban specific players from a game that you

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Is there a way to ban specific players from a game that you

Postby marotta » 25 Jun 2019, 22:29

Is there a way to ban specific players from a game that you create? I think that there is not, but it would have a great appeal if, when creating a game, you could set parameters for who could join and who could not, for example, based on number of games played, consistency, rating, etc.

There are players I would prefer never to play with again simply because their play ruins the game.
Regards,

David John Marotta
marotta
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1175
All-game rating: 1892
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Is there a way to ban specific players from a game that

Postby Josey Wales » 25 Jun 2019, 23:06

One way is to password protect the game and then you can personally vet applicants.
If you are gonna fight, then fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's ark … and brother, it just started to rain

Aspiring Classicist, Certified SPAM ABASSADOR, with a STAR
Josey Wales
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1141
All-game rating: 1134
Timezone: GMT+10

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 25 Jun 2019, 23:08

marotta wrote:Is there a way to ban specific players from a game that you create? I think that there is not, but it would have a great appeal if, when creating a game, you could set parameters for who could join and who could not, for example, based on number of games played, consistency, rating, etc.

There are players I would prefer never to play with again simply because their play ruins the game.

I can't remember whether we ever added the ability to prevent people on your "foe" list from joining games you create, but if we did, it would only be for non-anonymous games. (That list is available in the forum user control panel.)

There's really no way to provide that capability to anonymous games, however, without it turning into a serious metagaming conundrum.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1471

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 25 Jun 2019, 23:14

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
marotta wrote:Is there a way to ban specific players from a game that you create? I think that there is not, but it would have a great appeal if, when creating a game, you could set parameters for who could join and who could not, for example, based on number of games played, consistency, rating, etc.

I can't remember whether we ever added the ability to prevent people on your "foe" list from joining games you create, but if we did, it would only be for non-anonymous games. (That list is available in the forum user control panel.)

There's really no way to provide that capability to anonymous games, however, without it turning into a serious metagaming conundrum.

I think it was discussed and discarded as too many headaches, but I could be remembering wrong.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389

Postby asudevil » 25 Jun 2019, 23:28

Also it’s not fair to limit other persons options cause you don’t like them. I know that was a decision. Cause you can always back out of non anon games and it opens up abilities to metagame in anon games
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1447
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby super_dipsy » 26 Jun 2019, 07:17

Yes, the fundamental reason it is not allowed is that if you are to ensure you never play with a particular person, the only way to achieve that would be a) to show you only games that person is not in and b) to prevent that person from seeing games you are in. The first is an issue with anon games, as mentioned, but it is the second which is the really damaging one. Because you do not want to play with X, X's choice of games is restricted. So in other words, you could join all the open games and X could not then join any.

You can of course control this yourself except for anon games. When the game goes into confirmation, you can see who is in it and you can always drop out. So if you never play Anon games, you can police this yourself at least for the start of the game. That would not stop a foe from joining if someone surrenders though.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Postby Mr.E » 26 Jun 2019, 09:32

And I think that's the way things should be.

If I don't want to play against Dipsy, for instance, because I don't like him, his playing style, because he beats me every time, or whatever, that's problem. My problem with another player shouldn't prevent the other player accessing games.

It's probably also better that it's down to me to avoid games Dipsy's in because I could well put myself in a position where my attitude to him leads me to treat him differently to other players. I'm playing the player not the game and that could lead to meta-gaming.

Btw, I'm sure Dipsy's great to play against (before anyone rightly piles on with why I have a problem :D
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 966
All-game rating: 1134

Postby super_dipsy » 26 Jun 2019, 12:59

Mr.E wrote:Btw, I'm sure Dipsy's great to play against

I am, for the simple reason that I am rubbish :lol:
super_dipsy
Premium Member

All-game rating: 931

Postby marotta » 27 Jun 2019, 06:27

I am tired of players giving up either by just quitting or by abandoning their supply centers so they don't NMR but can still quit the game.

What is the best way to ensure decent play until the end of the game without NMRs?
Should I look for Ambassadors Only?
Does a Protected game help?
Does 1st turn NMR protection help?
Is there a way to limit players by ranking?

Should I put a password on the game and then request that only players of specific statistics join the game?
Regards,

David John Marotta
marotta
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1175
All-game rating: 1892

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 27 Jun 2019, 16:22

marotta wrote:I am tired of players giving up either by just quitting or by abandoning their supply centers so they don't NMR but can still quit the game.

What is the best way to ensure decent play until the end of the game without NMRs?

There's no surefire way, though if you can manage to organize and recruit for the game via the forums, you'll have slightly better results. It's harder to recruit players that way, but forum-readers are more likely to be regular players.
marotta wrote:Should I look for Ambassadors Only?

That's an option. You'll still get NMRs and dropouts, but those people will lose their Ambassador status. It won't solve the problem of people soft-surrendering by abandoning their centers. There's really no solution to that.
marotta wrote:Does a Protected game help?

That helps reduce the impact of NMRs on the game itself, since it extends turns when an NMR would otherwise occur. My personal experience is that it can inadvertently kill a game's momentum when you do have a player that NMRs a bunch.
marotta wrote:Does 1st turn NMR protection help?

Well, it depends. Do you frequently see people NMR during the first Spring, or is it later in the game?
marotta wrote:Is there a way to limit players by ranking?

Unless you pre-screen your players and set a password on the game, no. I wouldn't recommend this approach, though. Rankings don't always have a good correlation with reliability.
marotta wrote:Should I put a password on the game and then request that only players of specific statistics join the game?

You could potentially limit by reliability rating. If you're going to do that, however, I'd suggest reading about The Classicists, which is a group on the forum where membership is based on reliability. Recruiting for a Classicist game usually takes a little longer, but you do have a better chance of getting players that aren't going to NMR or surrender. Again, though, there's really nothing that can predict or prevent players from soft-surrendering by simply giving up without NMR-ing.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

All-game rating: 1471

Return to Suggestions