House Rule that Eliminates "via convoy"

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Do we want to eliminate "via convoy" by way of a House Rule?

I like the rule as written in the OP
50%
I like the alternate rule taking out condition (b), equivalent to what NoPun cited
33%
I like the "via convoy" rule and actively want to keep it in place
17%

Total votes : 6

Re: House Rule that Eliminates "via convoy"

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 17 Jun 2019, 19:08

When an army in location A is ordered to move to adjacent location B, and a legal convoy path between A and B could also be ordered that turn, the army will move via convoy if and only if a unit in location B is ordered to move to A and there is a legal undisrupted convoy route provided from A to B.
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1451
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby jay65536 » 17 Jun 2019, 19:24

I like it. Clear and concise.

(Of course that's just for the second option in the poll.)

EDIT: Here's similar language for the first option:

When an army in location A is ordered to move to adjacent location B, and a legal convoy path between A and B could also be ordered that turn, the army will move via convoy if and only if a unit in location B is ordered to move to A and the army's move would succeed via convoy.
jay65536

Standard rating: 1120
All-game rating: 1126

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 17 Jun 2019, 20:02

jay65536 wrote:I like it. Clear and concise.

(Of course that's just for the second option in the poll.)

EDIT: Here's similar language for the first option:

When an army in location A is ordered to move to adjacent location B, and a legal convoy path between A and B could also be ordered that turn, the army will move via convoy if and only if a unit in location B is ordered to move to A and the army's move would succeed via convoy.

I guess the one thing I dislike there is more technical in nature: you potentially have to determine whether a move succeeds twice. A’s order execution depends on A’s hypothetical order resolution.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 17 Jun 2019, 20:13

FYI, it looks like Backstabbr is likely using your version of the rule.

https://www.backstabbr.com/sandbox/5655408910270464

I'm on the fence between the two, to be honest.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby jay65536 » 17 Jun 2019, 21:06

Wow, that's crazy! I made my rule up completely independently of all this stuff you're showing me.

I do agree in theory about that one aspect of the rule you bring up, but personally I think the positives outweigh that one negative with my rule, in terms of having one concise rule that takes care of all those fringe adjudications in an agreeable* way.

(*Obviously debatable whether the community prefers the rulings that my rule would imply, hence the thread.)
jay65536

Standard rating: 1120
All-game rating: 1126

Postby ColonelApricot » 18 Jun 2019, 02:08

I voted for the second option because I think what happens in the current location of the army should not depend on whether the army moved by land or by convoy ("Location A"). To me the priority rule is that a bounced unit can only defend with one strength. Whether the unit moved by land or by convoy does not change the fact that it bounced.

Jay: yes I do have a semantic issue with the use of the terms "invalidated" and "succeed". By invalidated I think you mean "has no effect" and by succeed I think you mean "moves to its destination" (Location B).

I know what you mean but it's important that there is no ambiguity that could lead to misinterpretation, for example that the success of the convoy order is not the same as the success of the move order (similar to the support situation where the success of the support order is not the same as the success of the move order).

..CA
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1400
Timezone: GMT

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 18 Jun 2019, 02:13

ColonelApricot wrote:I voted for the second option because I think what happens in the current location of the army should not depend on whether the army moved by land or by convoy ("Location A"). To me the priority rule is that a bounced unit can only defend with one strength. Whether the unit moved by land or by convoy does not change the fact that it bounced.

Jay: yes I do have a semantic issue with the use of the terms "invalidated" and "succeed". By invalidated I think you mean "has no effect" and by succeed I think you mean "moves to its destination" (Location B).

I know what you mean but it's important that there is no ambiguity that could lead to misinterpretation, for example that the success of the convoy order is not the same as the success of the move order (similar to the support situation where the success of the support order is not the same as the success of the move order).

..CA

If you would indeed prefer the dislodge not to occur regardless of whether the attack came from land or convoy, you are more likely to prefer the first option in the poll.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby Woolgie » 18 Jun 2019, 10:44

Yes, CA, I think you prefer the first option. As do I. The route of the army should not matter.
Jon Stark in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire III - Winter is coming
GMing my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
Woolgie
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1028
All-game rating: 920

Postby ColonelApricot » 18 Jun 2019, 13:25

Got it. Changed my vote.
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1400

Postby GhostEcho » 19 Jun 2019, 05:51

I quite like PlayDip's current house rule. If there's a better way to implement it, that's great, but I'm not thrilled by the proposed rule. Here's why:

Principle: A unit is only given a single order.
Fact : Moving an army by convoy requires a different path than a move by land.

I'm even dubious about multiple-route convoy orders (e.g. if Edi-Nwy, Nth C Edi-Nwy, Nwg C Edi-Nwy, and Nth is dislodged, the convoy through Nwg still succeeds), but I don't see any practical way around them. But a player really should know whether he's trying to move a unit by convoy or not - even if that's not a requirement of the rules as published.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho

Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 982

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions