Improve the "Currently on the Forum" list

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Re: Improve the "Currently on the Forum" list

Postby super_dipsy » 12 Jun 2019, 17:21

I don't think I have picked up all the points being made, since I got bit lost in the statistical chitchat, but given ONE of the problems seems to be losing games that are trying to recruit, and combining this with the fact that some newbies in particular are confused about how to find games, is it worth thinking of killing two birds with one stone?

Suppose we had a button on the Home Page that said something like Show me some Games. This button now takes you to a split page. On one half we could pull up a selection of the top games from the Join Games list (which we now rank based on 'ready to go' numbers, and one half could show a selection of PbF games filling up. In the first section, it could point to the Join Games page, explain that you can use filters there, and have a hot link to it. On the second, it could give a brief line or two about what a PbF game is and again point to the PbF forum to find others.

Probably misses half of what you were disucssing though....
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Re: Improve the "Currently on the Forum" list

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 12 Jun 2019, 17:32

I don't think we really would benefit from a new page. It's the front page that potentially provides the best advertising access to post new game listings for PbF, site games, and tournaments. You miss out on that visibility if you require an additional click from the user.

I generally like Sinny's idea here:
https://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59817#p980666

It would be at least a reasonable stop-gap solution. The "New threads" would be the top three of the list that we currently show, while the "New posts" would be the top 3 from Active Topics, excluding whichever threads are already listed in the first category.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1471
Timezone: GMT-5

Previous

Return to Suggestions