Improve the "Currently on the Forum" list

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Re: Improve the "Currently on the Forum" list

Postby Woolgie » 06 Jun 2019, 22:02

sinnybee wrote:The order should be:
1) The developor announcement
2) The recruiting threads
3) The three newest threads (not including threads in an above section)
4) The three newest posts (not including threads in an above section)

My vote.
Jon Stark in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire III - Winter is coming
GMing my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
Woolgie
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1028
All-game rating: 920
Timezone: GMT

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 06 Jun 2019, 22:08

sinnybee wrote:What's your metric? What's your evidence that my
"There were more posts in 2010-2014 than there have been in 2015-2019."
is wrong?

Discord is good, but we're not talking about discord, we're talking about the home page display of playdip forum threads.

I didn't say it's all strictly business, I said almost everything is strictly business. That is in reference to playdip forum threads that show up on the home page, because that is what this discussion is about.

I am well aware that several subforums don't show up in the "Currently on the Forum" section. At one point or another, I have been involved in every subforum of playdip except HOTW (though I certainly have been in touch with some who have played that).

Sorry, I didn't mean to make that sound so combative. I don't know for sure whether the 2010-2014 period was more active. I do believe that I've seen more forum activity in 2017-2019 than I did from 2014-2016. I think it's really just an issue of frame-of-reference.

My main point was that "hey these prolific posters don't post any more" is still not a good measure for forum activity. It's too tied to a concept of individual users rather than the community as a whole. Players move on to different hobbies and different communities, and that's okay as long as there are others who show up later. The fact that our site is rather popular with university students can contribute to that considerably, as not every student will keep up the hobby after they move on to the "real" world.

Anyway, this was all a big digression.
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1471
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sinnybee » 06 Jun 2019, 22:31

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
sinnybee wrote:What's your metric? What's your evidence that my
"There were more posts in 2010-2014 than there have been in 2015-2019."
is wrong?

Discord is good, but we're not talking about discord, we're talking about the home page display of playdip forum threads.

I didn't say it's all strictly business, I said almost everything is strictly business. That is in reference to playdip forum threads that show up on the home page, because that is what this discussion is about.

I am well aware that several subforums don't show up in the "Currently on the Forum" section. At one point or another, I have been involved in every subforum of playdip except HOTW (though I certainly have been in touch with some who have played that).

Sorry, I didn't mean to make that sound so combative. I don't know for sure whether the 2010-2014 period was more active. I do believe that I've seen more forum activity in 2017-2019 than I did from 2014-2016. I think it's really just an issue of frame-of-reference.

My main point was that "hey these prolific posters don't post any more" is still not a good measure for forum activity. It's too tied to a concept of individual users rather than the community as a whole. Players move on to different hobbies and different communities, and that's okay as long as there are others who show up later. The fact that our site is rather popular with university students can contribute to that considerably, as not every student will keep up the hobby after they move on to the "real" world.

Anyway, this was all a big digression.

Perhaps 2017-2019 did see more forum activity than 2014-2016, but either way, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 all individually saw more forum activity than the average of 2017-2019.

So, my perspective is that if we could manage with 6 thread listings in the past (as we still have), we can manage with ~10 now, without having more than 3 per category.

NoPun, the amount of posts on playdip per year = the amount of people who posted on playdip during the year * the average amount of posts that each of those people posted that year.
The community as a whole is the sum of individual users.
You're saying that my focus on the people who used to post a lot on playdip is not a good measure for forum activity.
Yes, there are plenty of people who don't post much, but I have not seen that number per year to be much larger (if at all) in 2017-2019 in comparison to 2008-2012, when we were flooded with not only people who posted a lot, but also with a large number of people.

Besides dipsy, I don't think anyone is more of a playdip forum historian than I am.
Besides dispy, I don't think anyone is more familiar with how the forum has progressed from 2008 to 2019 than I am, unless someone like Keirador has been looking outside areas like mafia and debates through almost all of his many years.
Asu is probably #3--I've read more 2008-2011 stuff than he has and I have a better memory of old posts than he does.

Not trying to brag, just trying to state that what I'm saying is based on many years of observations from someone who used to be a Statistics major, being taught to avoid bias.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby asudevil » 06 Jun 2019, 23:40

Hey I’m old and my memory sucks.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1447

Postby Firestorm94 » 07 Jun 2019, 00:55

Sinny is right.
Firestorm94

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1026)
All-game rating: (1025)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 07 Jun 2019, 07:26

asudevil wrote:Hey I’m old and my memory sucks.

Sinny is trolling you to get your posts up. ;)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: (1047)
All-game rating: (1160)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby sinnybee » 07 Jun 2019, 07:43

(Sorry to drag this out, but I'm having fun reminiscing the golden age.)

If you look at the top 100 (4 pages) playdip posters of all time, only two of them joined after 2014, kimpossible and mhsmith, and both of them spend a good amount of their posts in the mafia forum.

Almost all of the top 100 posted more or a lot more in general forums in the 2008-2012 golden age years of the forum that they were around for than they did in later years.

I have to go all the way down to #69 The SHIV until I find someone besides dipsy who has likely not lessened (or not much) their general forum post count per year since our golden age.

I literally have to go all the way down to #96 NoPunIn10Did until I find someone who posts more in general forums now than in our golden years... but even though he joined in Aug 2011, his first game here wasn't until Oct 2015 and his first post wasn't until Nov 2015... which makes him like Nanook, in that he probably would have been active or very active if he was around before 2014, but he wasn't around, so we can't make a comparison.

#172 Don Juan of Austria is another of the very rare names I recognize as someone who posts in general forums currently and regularly. Once again though, someone who wasn't around before 2014.

The NoPuns, Nanooks, and Don Juans of our forum are great people, but they are very outnumbered by the golden age posters.

If we look at #126 GhostEcho as another example, he has made a respectable 267 posts in 2017-2019, most of which I assume are PbF and f2f and general forum posts. However, that just makes up 14.8% of his total posts.

Now, you may say "What about #112 Aeschines?"
He has contributed a lot with GMing and has made a very respectable 781 posts in 2017-2019 which is 36.2% of his 2157 total, a relatively high percentage considering that he became active on the forum way back in 2009. However, when we take a closer look at his situation, he was gone from the forum for several years. In part of one golden age year of 2009, 672 of his posts or 31.2%, nearly as high as his 2017-2019 total. Add about half of 2010, and we get another 237, making his partial 2009 and partial 2010 containing more posts than his full 2017, full 2018, and partial 2019.

Don Juan of Austria wrote:
asudevil wrote:Hey I’m old and my memory sucks.

Sinny is trolling you to get your posts up. ;)

lol no, I want him to not post a lot, so he won't say "See, look, sinny! I do have almost 17k posts!"
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)

Postby joe92 » 07 Jun 2019, 14:28

+1 to sinny's proposal
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Standard rating: 1106
All-game rating: 1721

Postby dib » 07 Jun 2019, 15:27

Good suggestions if technically possible

In the meantime*** until something changes

I think we just double/treble post to compete for air time otherwise things just get lost games dont get started and tournaments get lost.

Dib
dib

Standard rating: 1824
All-game rating: 1942

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 07 Jun 2019, 16:12

dib wrote:Good suggestions if technically possible

In the meantime*** until something changes

I think we just double/treble post to compete for air time otherwise things just get lost games dont get started and tournaments get lost.

Dib

Administrative veto. No double-posting.
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1471
Timezone: GMT-5

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions