Attack from the Fog

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Attack from the Fog

Postby NullSpeech » 03 Jun 2019, 19:06

I really enjoy FoW games because of the higher amount of trust and communication that's necessary to coordinate. However, the one bit I've been confused by is not being able to see who bounced you, or even if you were attacked when you defended.

It seems strange that a territory would have no idea if it was attacked or not. Just the same as fighting someone to a stalemate resulting in a bounce, but you have no idea who you were fighting on the battlefield.

I propose that in addition to your own orders from each season you should also be able to see orders from other countries that cause a bounce with your own attempted moves, and orders that send forces into your controlled regions, defended or not. In addition, perhaps the orders would just show which countries were present in each respective battle and not necessarily where they came from as I feel that would betray the FoW feel as well.

I'd like to get a general opinion on this and how it should be implemented, or if the community feels like it should be changed less, or not at all.

Thanks for your consideration.
NullSpeech
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 904
All-game rating: 869
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Attack from the Fog

Postby ColonelApricot » 04 Jun 2019, 06:46

Not at all. IT CAME FROM THE FOG! :mrgreen:
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1400
Timezone: GMT

Postby Mr.E » 04 Jun 2019, 09:13

Shouldn't be changed at all. I agree that from the point of view of realism, perhaps, knowing who you were up against might be sensible but, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, part of this a player already knows.

It comes down to what you mean by "defending". I think of this as a unit holding, supporting or convoying - not moving. In that case you can already see who you're neighbour is.

So the important part is a bounce. France orders Por-MAO and is bounced. So who bounced you? It would make sense that two forces would recognise each other but it would also mean knowing where the bouncing unit came from.

Look at all the options that the fleet in Portugal wouldn't know about because it doesn't know if units are based in those spaces.

It may be that Russia has a fleet in Spain's north coast, I suppose. France would know that. If Russia ordered Spa(nc)-MAO under current rules France wouldn't know. So it could be that the orders for a neighbouring unit that directly affected the orders for your unit could be made known.

But the idea with FOW is that players only know the orders given for their units, rather than anything else. It's not so much about the geography of the map as being unaware of what another player orders.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 966
All-game rating: 1134

Postby ColonelApricot » 05 Jun 2019, 02:52

NullSpeech wrote:It seems strange that a territory would have no idea if it was attacked or not. Just the same as fighting someone to a stalemate resulting in a bounce, but you have no idea who you were fighting on the battlefield.
A unit that holds or convoys won't know but a unit that supports will know which territory attacked it. Also if you support a foreign unit then the result will tell you whether the unit held in place or attempted and failed to move.

NullSpeech wrote:I propose that in addition to your own orders from each season you should also be able to see orders from other countries that cause a bounce with your own attempted moves, and orders that send forces into your controlled regions, defended or not.
I am not sure exactly what you mean by controlled regions but if it is your controlled sc then you will see the occupying unit if it was a spring move (because you still own the region) and if it was a Fall move then you will no longer be able to see the region and its occupant unless you have an adjacent unit (in which case no problem). If it is a non-sc region "controlled" by you (it has your colour) then it will become fogged immediately. In these cases you need to deduce the occupant, perhaps by knowing earlier moves or perhaps by diplomacy (less reliable). But that's what it's all about, it wouldn't be FoW otherwise!

..CA
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1400

Return to Suggestions