AOE Hundred: Update English starting SC?

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Where should England start for "Age of Empires" on the Hundred map?

Poll ended at 10 Jun 2019, 17:06

Devon (current)
No votes
London
75%
Normandy
25%

Total votes : 4

AOE Hundred: Update English starting SC?

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 03 Jun 2019, 17:06

Hundred has been played with the "Age of Empires" variant a total of 25 times, though the first game used a different set of starting positions. Out of the 24 remaining games, England has won a solo exactly once. The remaining games are roughly split between Burgundy and France, with Burgundy in the lead.

The current positions are:
  • England - Devon
  • France - Toulouse
  • Burgundy - Luxembourg

These were based on some estimations of tempi and an attempt to keep the three powers more spread out from one another. I believe we may have gone a bit too far with regard to England. I suspect the problem may be the lack of centers in immediate proximity.

I would like to propose that England begins in Normandy or London instead. I suspect that Normandy might be the better overall position. London, however, might be better for the character of the power; it would still allow England to more easily claim its own island, separated from the conflicts on the continent itself.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1471
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Suggestions