Proposal: New Colors for Versailles?

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Proposal: New Colors for Versailles?

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 22 May 2019, 20:52

New Colors for Versailles?

As much as I love this site, I've never been a huge fan of its map color schemes. Some of this is just a matter of taste, but I have pretty frequent trouble with the Versailles map in particular.

It's admittedly difficult to find 14 dissimilar colors that will work for both maps and units. It's even more difficult to choose colors that have some level of meaning for the countries, especially since so many nations have similar flags and military uniforms.

The current Versailles color scheme, however, has several pairs of colors that I find extremely difficult to distinguish between unless I'm staring at them side-by-side. Some of this seems to be that nearly all of the 7 minor power colors are just lighter tints of the 7 major power colors.

UPDATE: Proposal Withdrawn
I have some other ideas how to make units more distinct without such drastic color changes, so I'm tabling this for now.

Proposal

After development for War in the Americas is complete, I'd like to see about tweaking the existing Versailles map and units to fit a more diverse color profile, potentially with each country having a quasi-meaningful connection to the colors used.

I've mocked this scheme up using a Classic map (since that's what I had available). Accordingly, Egypt's color is shown in Syria.

There would still be some similarity between colors, particularly as they appear on the textured map, but I think this scheme provides more distinction than what we have currently.
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1471
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Proposal: New Colors for Versailles?

Postby Big Gun » 22 May 2019, 21:00

No, No, No!

More later.
Big Gun

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1410)
All-game rating: (2263)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Strategus » 22 May 2019, 21:17

Bleurghh!
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1583
All-game rating: 1708

Postby Strategus » 22 May 2019, 21:18

Come back Andy Warhol. All is forgiven...
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1583
All-game rating: 1708

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 22 May 2019, 21:26

Strategus wrote:Bleurghh!

That bad, huh?

Is it that the colors are too different from one another? The current scheme is a set of muted pastels, but I see that as part of the problem: they don’t vary enough in saturation.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Postby Big Gun » 22 May 2019, 21:56

NoPun - as much as I love and respect you, here you're going too far. With respect - please stop meddling with the website!

The colours on the Versailles map are just fine. We've been playing with them for years. Everyone understands them. Sometimes "Change Management" can be a real pain in the arse. Please stop it!

Thanks for considering my opinion. I've played a few games of Versailles here...

Gun
Big Gun

Standard rating: (1410)
All-game rating: (2263)

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 22 May 2019, 22:08

Big Gun wrote:NoPun - as much as I love and respect you, here you're going too far. With respect - please stop meddling with the website!

The colours on the Versailles map are just fine. We've been playing with them for years. Everyone understands them. Sometimes "Change Management" can be a real pain in the arse. Please stop it!

Thanks for considering my opinion. I've played a few games of Versailles here...

Gun

Okay, I hear you.

What if there was just a tweak to some of the existing colors that are very close to one another?

I'm thinking of the following pairs:
  • Egypt & Spain
  • France & Rumania
  • Turkey & Czechoslovakia

Nothing as dramatic as my original proposal, but these colors really are frustratingly difficult to read, especially when it's just the units sitting in neutral territory or water.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Postby GhostEcho » 22 May 2019, 23:38

I haven't played Versailles for a while, so I don't remember the current colors, but there are issues with this proposal:

- Russia is a lot brighter than the other powers - but if you darken it, easy to mix up with Czechoslovakia
- Britain and Poland look quite easy to confuse
- All of these blue-ish pairs look easy to confuse: France/Sweden, Egypt/Sweden, Greece/Sweeden, Italy/Greece

I'd be a bit surprised if that's actually an improvement on the current map, honestly.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho

Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 979

Postby asudevil » 23 May 2019, 02:08

I can’t tell Spain and Egypt apart well but I barely play it so I don’t care
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1447
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby marotta » 23 May 2019, 06:02

I play mostly Versailles and I have found myself repeatedly trying to move another players pieces and wondering why the system won't respond. England, Spain and Egypt are especially confusing and the three colors I mostly confuse. Depending one which of the three monitors I am playing on they can be indistinguishable.

I would turn the button from pretty to ugly if that meant they were more understandable. After all, diplomacy is always a game of turning lots of colors into just one or two. :roll:
Regards,

David John Marotta
marotta
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1175
All-game rating: 1892

Next

Return to Suggestions