Rating Shield

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Re: Rating Shield

Postby jay65536 » 26 Feb 2019, 21:44

It's certainly no worse an incentive than taking over a position where your rating can't go down but can go up, right? Either way you don't care if you lose. And having a substitute playing an unranked game (from their perspective) can't be worse for the overall game than not having anyone take over the position, right?

Although I guess if there is not a serious problem of positions going unfilled then this may be a "solution in search of a problem", as they say.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Malarky » 27 Feb 2019, 02:06

Maybe I'm a little biased because I don't think there's much that would be an incentive for me to pick up a surrendered position. Maybe a date with Jessica Alba...

If I'm bothered about my rating, and it could increase but not decrease, then the incentive is to play as well as I can to see if I can get something from the game. The higher my rating, though, the less likely it is I'm going to get anything, especially if the result is affected by how much of the game I actually play. Which may mean that it is lower-rated players that might respond to this incentive.

If I'm bothered about my rating and it can't increase or decrease, it is ratings-neutral for me, there's no incentive at all, really.

If I'm interested in the challenge of picking up a surrendered position, then I'm probably less concerned about my rating and I might pick the game up anyway. In this circumstance it matters less whether I gain anything from the game and possibly if I lose anything. On the other hand, losing ratings points is almost always likely to disincentivise most players (no matter how disinterested they are in their rating).

When I was looking for a game to join, from my preferences the games with openings came up first Some of them were so far along, or some positions so poor that - for me - they just weren't interesting.

Now, this probably isn't the attitude that's meant to be carried into picking up these positions but, for me, if I'm going to put time and effort into the game I want some payback: not from ratings but from enjoyment for my effort. Joining a game that's all but done, or where I'd need to offer my date with Jess to stay in the game long enough to enjoy it, isn't interesting.

I don't really look at whether the game is ranked or not, I look if I can play it long enough to enjoy it. So even with Ms Alba looking enticingly over her shoulder while peeling off her wet suit as incentive, I'd have to (oh so reluctantly) turn the games with no future down.

Really, then, this is probably something which is going to interest people who have some time on their hands, don't fancy a long game, and will press keys until their fingers bleed just for the hell of it. Meaning they'll play hard because they are prepared to invest their time into it.

I'm not sure there's much incentive for most people to pick up any position other than enjoyment, even with the only ratings outcome being positive. But I'd say that the possibility of some kind of positive ratings outcome is better than none.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
The Playdiplomacy Guide
Across the Whole Board
Malarky
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (918)
All-game rating: (1029)
Timezone: GMT

Postby dib » 07 Mar 2019, 14:28

super_dipsy wrote:The rating shield is there to encourage people to take up surrendered positions. ...<> the worry I would have is that you would then be back to being able to play endless surrendered positions without ever risking a negative change to your rating. I'm not sure how popular that would be?

Its the law of unintended consequences.

It seems to me that you can ALREADY easily game the system by alternating pure dip and variants thus never risking your pure dip ranking. Looking at a few players records this is what they are doing. PM me for details if you dont believe me ;-) Basically you NEVER have to risk your ranking and can out manoeuvre the fading echos part of the system by still playing games.

My suggestion would be to still have it but to separate the shield so its only effective for the game type started. Otherwise it makes a COMPLETE mockery of the whole thing ...

Step 1 Play variant - charge shield
Step 2 take over Surrendered Country with NO risk
Step 3 Play Variant and so on
Last edited by dib on 08 Mar 2019, 10:49, edited 2 times in total.
dib

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1824)
All-game rating: (1942)

Postby Malarky » 08 Mar 2019, 03:22

Well, damn, some people. What happened to playing a game because you like playing it? Just get rid of the ratings. Want to be ranked? Play a tournament :twisted:
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
The Playdiplomacy Guide
Across the Whole Board
Malarky
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (918)
All-game rating: (1029)

Postby dib » 08 Mar 2019, 11:07

Totally agree Mr E. Want to start one? ;)
dib

Standard rating: (1824)
All-game rating: (1942)

Postby wryly coyote » 29 Aug 2020, 15:29

Weird, I had an active ratings shield, picked up a surrendered position, lost and lost rating points. I don't understand why the ratings shield didn't kick in.
wryly coyote
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1074)
All-game rating: (1377)

Postby Strategus » 29 Aug 2020, 17:38

wryly coyote wrote:Weird, I had an active ratings shield, picked up a surrendered position, lost and lost rating points. I don't understand why the ratings shield didn't kick in.

Did you surrender? Even in another game.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1588
All-game rating: 1698

Postby wryly coyote » 30 Aug 2020, 14:36

Strategus wrote:
wryly coyote wrote:Weird, I had an active ratings shield, picked up a surrendered position, lost and lost rating points. I don't understand why the ratings shield didn't kick in.

Nope - I have never surrendered. I agreed to a draw that didn't include me though.

My stat line for the game looks like this

Back to the Americas (GREAT BRITAIN): 0
-18 for defeat
Adjust for 79% turns played
Ratings Shield active
wryly coyote
Premium Member

Postby Strategus » 30 Aug 2020, 15:07

wryly coyote wrote:
Strategus wrote:

Nope - I have never surrendered. I agreed to a draw that didn't include me though.

My stat line for the game looks like this

Back to the Americas (GREAT BRITAIN): 0
-18 for defeat
Adjust for 79% turns played
Ratings Shield active

Yes, the zero at the top is your actual score. The -18 is showing what the score would have been without tbe shield.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1588
All-game rating: 1698

Postby wryly coyote » 30 Aug 2020, 21:26

Strategus wrote:

Yes, the zero at the top is your actual score. The -18 is showing what the score would have been without tbe shield.

Got it, so I need to start a game now to recharge my shield?
wryly coyote
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions