Improvements (please look devs)

Suggestions on improving the site or comments in general?

Improvements (please look devs)

Postby KINGIVANOV » 13 Feb 2018, 16:32

So anyway, I've played this game for about a month and I love this game, it is very fun. However, I have some suggestions.
1. Let others people ( not premium ) play other variants but only maybe 1 game at a time.
2. Add more variants. Especially those with more countries, bigger map, etc. ex. http://www.vdiplomacy.com/variants.php?variantID=95 is awesome, it would require HUGE amounts of strategy. I think many people would enjoy it very very much.
KINGIVANOV

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 930
All-game rating: 926
Timezone: GMT

Re: Improvements (please look devs)

Postby The SHIV » 13 Feb 2018, 16:41

Interesting.......mark in my turf.

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, SHIV of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1147
All-game rating: 1175
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 13 Feb 2018, 17:41

KINGIVANOV wrote:So anyway, I've played this game for about a month and I love this game, it is very fun. However, I have some suggestions.
1. Let others people ( not premium ) play other variants but only maybe 1 game at a time.
2. Add more variants. Especially those with more countries, bigger map, etc. ex. http://www.vdiplomacy.com/variants.php?variantID=95 is awesome, it would require HUGE amounts of strategy. I think many people would enjoy it very very much.

If you're interested in playing a wider variety of variants, I'd start monitoring the Play-by-Forum games. We play a ton of different games there, some of which not even vDip can handle.
NoPunIn10Did
Organizer for the Classicist C-Diplo Series

Variant GM, Designer & Collaborator
NoPunIn10Did

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1273
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 13 Feb 2018, 19:37

KINGIVANOV wrote:So anyway, I've played this game for about a month and I love this game, it is very fun. However, I have some suggestions.

Only thing Ill say is I think you underestimate the time it takes to code a new variant. Also, when we already get SO many NMRs and surrenders in a 7 player game...imagine how bad a 14 player game would be.

But there is currently an 11 player game recruiting on Play by Forum based on the US in 2160.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football next season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1371
All-game rating: 1534
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby super_dipsy » 13 Feb 2018, 20:10

And of course you can play up to 11 players in Escalation games
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)

Postby Nibbler » 18 Feb 2018, 11:07

I don't particularly like the idea of non-Premium players getting into variants. There has to be a some difference between Premium and not, doesn't there? And there are the Premium credits, now, so a taster is possible. I know that the suggestion is that non-Premiums can play only one variant at a time, but as many skilled players will limit the amount of games they play at a time anyway, that is a disincentive to pay for any Premium. Not what the site needs, I think.

I've not been here long enough to say with any certainty how having variants with many more players would be affected by surrenders. Assuming only Premium players can access variants - usually - then you'd hope that someone who is going to pay to play would be less likely to drop from a game, which would mean the impact shouldn't be as big as in general games.

Perhaps the bigger issue is the one with all games - finding enough players wanting to play the variant with the options selected. This seems to be hard enough with regular games. The game linked isn't what I thought it was (at first glance) but a 35-player game (I thought it was one of the World Dip variants). Sounds great, if you like large multi-player games, but imagine it being a game with shorter or longer than generally accepted deadlines, let alone as an Ambassador-only game!

Actually, the more players, the longer the deadlines need to be to allow for effective diplomacy. I think the bigger games probably need a rethinking of the balance between efficient and effective diplomacy. A challenge in themselves - especially for those of us who witter on, like me :)

But can you imagine this variant as a communication game with 12-hour deadlines? :shock: And why would anyone play the game gunboat?

As was said above, play on the forum if you're into a wide variety of variants. Costs nothing but time.

I've also just imagined the issues with colour differentiation with bigger games, let alone other coding. People complain that seven colours aren't different enough, and Versailles can be even more difficult (from what I've seen - although I've never found myself confused even when just looking at a Versailles game). So I guess there is a practical issue there.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Across the Board Diplomacy Blog and Site (always looking for contributions!)
Nibbler

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (974)
All-game rating: (974)

Postby gareth66 » 18 Feb 2018, 11:39

Yes, the credits system rather renders this unnecessary.
gareth66

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)

Postby super_dipsy » 18 Feb 2018, 15:55

Yes. Not that anything needs adding, but I want to stress that this site would not exist without the support of our premium players. The credits are a way for non-premiums to get a taste of what it would be like, and hopefully encourage more to take the extra step :)
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)

Return to Suggestions