Plaudits

Suggestions on improving the site or comments in general?

Plaudits

Postby Nibbler » 31 Dec 2017, 11:33

Bear with me - suggestions are coming...

I came to Playdip this year. It hasn't been a great year for me. Suffered a heart attack (well, two but the second one was more like an aftershock so I don't count that) and eventually came back to the site a couple of weeks ago after deciding that, after been back at work for a while, I wanted to get back into Dip.

Not that Diplomacy or Playdip had anything to do with the heart attack, of course. Just in case you were wondering.

What I wanted to say, though, is that I continue to be impressed with Playdip. I love the forum. There are always places where you can find intelligent discussion about Diplomacy but this forum continues to give me food for thought. There are some daft ideas, some dafter than my own. But I don't think there is anywhere else on the web that this game is discussed quite as enthusiastically. Perhaps the most impressive aspect of the forum is that it seems to be quietly policed by the mods, allowing disagreements and robust discussion while maintaining a degree of respect. This isn't unique but it is refreshing compared to some forums I've come across where some members seem to get to say whatever they want, regardless.

I think the work behind the scenes is fantastic. There always seems to be some idea or other in development to improve the site. And the work that goes into maintaining the site, technically and policing games, needs to be recognised and applauded. Brilliant job to everyone involved.

There are a few things I'd like to see introduced, if possible. None of them are crucial. To me, I think they'd make interesting additions, although from what I've read recently they some may be difficult. But I'm going to suggest them anyway :) (eventually - I just wanted to put my thoughts on the great feeling of the site somewhere as well; thanks for being patient!)

First, the Cheaters forum. As the posts here seem to be locked almost immediately, and the investigations go on behind the scenes, I wonder whether it would be better used as a place to post results of investigations only. I see the reasoning behind having a visible place to report possible cheating but it seems to me that the guidance about what and when to report - which is crucial - suggests that all reports should be private. Not being able to reply, whether in defence of your actions if you've been inaccurately accused or for general comments (which may be undesirable, I understand), adds to this idea, IMO.

Perhaps there should be something in-game, or on the games site, whereby possible cheating can be reported. A link to a site email, perhaps. This would mean also providing a link to the info about what and when to report, too, or some guidance being available when you click the link. Alternatively, lock the forum to all but mods and have reporting via PM only. This would allow the Cheaters forum to record only positive results (those who have had action taken as a result of an investigation, and possibly only when this has affected the status of games).

Second, the ratings. I think the rolling ratings are good and the system good. I think, though, that it could be adapted and a yearly champion crowned. While this would mean have two sets of ratings operating side-by-side, it would provide some impetus for people beyond the continual ratings. It could be that games started after a certain date involved zeroing ratings, but this seems more work than necessary.

Third, alongside this, it would be nice to see best power ratings. As a fan of standard, regular Dip, I'd suggest this only for this type of game, but it may be possible to include it for variants (but a lot more work). So we might have ratings for each of the seven powers. This would be a lot to ask of the database, I know, and it would also - perhaps - not fit in with the existing ratings system. I was actually thinking of having the top players for each power asked to pass on their secrets to success for playing that power :)

Hm. Perhaps I've countered my on suggestions, there. Still think they would be nice to see.

Thanks again to the mods, admins and technical guys who put so much into the site already.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Across the Board Diplomacy Blog and Site (always looking for contributions!)
Nibbler

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (974)
All-game rating: (974)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Plaudits

Postby DirtyHarry » 01 Jan 2018, 22:03

I want to "like" your comment Nibbler, but there is no Like button. I'd give it two likes, if I could.
DirtyHarry
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1329
All-game rating: 1348
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Plaudits

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 13 Feb 2018, 17:54

Nibbler wrote:
Third, alongside this, it would be nice to see best power ratings. As a fan of standard, regular Dip, I'd suggest this only for this type of game, but it may be possible to include it for variants (but a lot more work). So we might have ratings for each of the seven powers. This would be a lot to ask of the database, I know, and it would also - perhaps - not fit in with the existing ratings system. I was actually thinking of having the top players for each power asked to pass on their secrets to success for playing that power :)

I wouldn't be surprised if a rudimentary best-power could be estimated by adding up all of one player's Elo deltas associated with that power.

For instance, my best power rankings for 1900 (since I rarely play rated Classic games) would be:

1. Britain +157
  2. Russia +72
  3. Germany +38
  4. Austria-Hungary +18
  5. Italy -28
  6. Turkey -35

Somehow I've never played a rated 1900 game as France. Time to correct that...
NoPunIn10Did
Organizer for the Classicist C-Diplo Series

Variant GM, Designer & Collaborator
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1358
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Suggestions