WINNING THE GAME and SCORING POINTS

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Re: WINNING THE GAME and SCORING POINTS

Postby Mysterious Player X » 28 Feb 2008, 01:13

I just joined a game as a replacement. It's amazing how much the double and triple victory conditions change a game. Instead of everyone ganging up on the largest power who's at 11-12, everyone is trying to stop the largest team (2 countries at 15 or so), and there seems to be little hope of getting anyone to switch sides. Very odd dynamic, and not something I'm used to. A DIAS situation would certainly change the way people play the game here.

As for the "Newbies" vs "non-newbies" situation- make sure there are plenty of anonymous games where no one will know the rank of another player until the end. Good players who like to play will play in these games. Newbies will not be scared off by the guy with the high ranking being in the game.

Another solution- create "banded" games, but make the bands wide enough to cover a substantial group of people.
Mysterious Player X

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1227)
All-game rating: (1230)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby GeneralRye » 28 Feb 2008, 17:57

mdmuff wrote:Wouldn't you want "newbies" to be playing with a mix of expierenced players, so they can see different strategies and techniques used, or they will just continue to get crushed against a seasoned player who will played them based on ratings that are inflated from playing against poor competition?

Offcourse I want newbies to get better from playing with more experienced players. My point was, that I would like to avoid playing against people who drops out of the game, doesn't move or cant give a simple order when I tell them to...

A person who has finished 10 games with an average score is much less likely to fit into that category than a person who has finished only two games...
GeneralRye

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Master Radishes » 09 Mar 2008, 04:06

When is the new scoring system going into place? Because I just got robbed of a victory.

Playing as Turkey, Italy and I were leading the board at 7 SCs. France and England had 6, and were next highest. Behind my back, though, Italy, France, and England teamed up for the triple victory, and I got nothing.

(Not that I need more points - this isn't about that, honestly. What makes me angry was the fact that I was allied with Italy, and we had agreed to share in the victory. We had supported each other's attacks, had stayed from moving against each other, etc. So I'm really actually more bitter over personal reasons - the fact that Italy and France, my allies, betrayed me and went behind my back despite our agreement. Remind me not to play with NEPatsfan in the future.)

But still. I wouldn't mind a new system where I would've had a say in what happened, especially since I was leading the board in SCs. It's only fair.

So yeah, any time line on this, just out of curiosity?
Master Radishes

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1071)

Postby Avalanche » 09 Mar 2008, 09:54

The new scoring and victory system has gone live on the alpha testserver two days ago. I did some initial playtesting and noted some suggestions that will probably be fixed on monday.

After that, I'm going to invite 7 players from here to the alpha server, so they can test for a week. If everything is found okay and/or fixed, it will be moved to the live public beta server. That could be next week already.
Avalanche
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (955)
All-game rating: (1013)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Xeinar » 09 Mar 2008, 10:49

Nice news :)
Xeinar

Postby Xeinar » 10 Mar 2008, 12:55

Avalanche wrote:The new scoring and victory system has gone live on the alpha testserver two days ago. I did some initial playtesting and noted some suggestions that will probably be fixed on monday.

After that, I'm going to invite 7 players from here to the alpha server, so they can test for a week. If everything is found okay and/or fixed, it will be moved to the live public beta server. That could be next week already.

By the way, is the new system going to be implemented on the already active games? (I really hope so) :P
Xeinar

Postby Romain » 26 Mar 2008, 21:19

Avalanche wrote:The new scoring and victory system has gone live on the alpha testserver two days ago. I did some initial playtesting and noted some suggestions that will probably be fixed on monday.

Any news?
Romain

Timezone: GMT-5

Postby DRifteR » 27 Mar 2008, 04:56

Yeah, I'm just starting out playing Diplomacy (i haven't played in real life or any other places before), but I of course I've played lots of different online games. I really don't like the 'ELO' ranking system where you start at 1000. It reminds me too much of Yahoo and AOL games like Pool and Chess.

I think that it makes the elo ranking system makes people play with respect to their rank-- not to win. The 'rank whores' who don't want to play with people of lower rank are really annoying. It can also persuade people to draw earlier for points rather than risk it for a solo win. It's fine and it works (I guess) for a large audience like at Yahoo. But for a small group of people it dehumanizes the game and makes it less fun. And isn't building personal relationships at the core of playing Diplomacy?

The idea of having a draw be flexible (not a minimum number of agreement as it is now) is good. Including the largest player on board is also good too. I don't know about the DIAS rule. I recently played a large online Risk game where everyone except one team wanted to quit. They had no chance of winning because they didn't have enough people and they were in the center. The moderators respected their wishes though, so the game went on. We killed the dissenting team, but the game went on much longer than it had to.
DRifteR

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby cypeg » 10 Apr 2008, 01:41

I have only played 3 games so far. the first one was triple victory,i lost the second one, but i won solo the third game and declared victory. my question is why
I have only 7 points? isnt solo victory worth 12p?
cypeg

Postby behnam » 10 Apr 2008, 03:16

cypeg wrote:I have only played 3 games so far. the first one was triple victory,i lost the second one, but i won solo the third game and declared victory. my question is why
I have only 7 points? isnt solo victory worth 12p?

The new point system was implemented today. So any games already finished don't get grandfathered in. You won a triple (2 points) and a single (5 points) which gives you 7 points.
nil desperandum ; sempre vincenti

behnam

Standard rating: (975)
All-game rating: (978)

Previous

Return to Suggestions