Replace No Draws Allowed option with Only Reward Solos?

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Replace No Draws Allowed option with Only Reward Solos, and allow those games to be ranked?

Yes, I like the proposed change to make draws possible but not rewarded.
67%
No, I prefer having the current option to prevent all draws, even if it means the game must be unranked.
25%
Wait, that was an option?
8%

Total votes : 12

Re: Replace No Draws Allowed option with Only Reward Solos?

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 15 May 2019, 12:50

super_dipsy wrote:I wonder if this would make pickup of surrendered positions less likely? Sometimes players pick up a surrendered position because they can see a realistic chance of at least squeezing themselves into a draw. If they know there is no rating incentive for that, then it may discourage those people who focus on ratings from joining I guess.

Wouldn’t that already be an issue for “No draws allowed” games?
NoPunIn10Did
Moderator (Forums only)

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1484
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby super_dipsy » 15 May 2019, 14:27

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
super_dipsy wrote:I wonder if this would make pickup of surrendered positions less likely? Sometimes players pick up a surrendered position because they can see a realistic chance of at least squeezing themselves into a draw. If they know there is no rating incentive for that, then it may discourage those people who focus on ratings from joining I guess.

Wouldn’t that already be an issue for “No draws allowed” games?

Very likely, but remember that No Draws Allowed games can only ever be unranked. The other point I want to make that I know will upset some people is that frankly I regard 'No Draws Allowed' games as of very limited importance in site terms. My views are coloured by the fact that in quite a few No Draws Allowed games, the players end up asking for the game to be drawn by a Mod. In my opinion the game was never designed to be no draws allowed because there are stalemate lines that force a draw. Your proposal of course gets around at least that thing, becuase making it 'only reward solos' means that a game CAN legitimately be draw - it just means the drawees get no points.

I do feel though that the problem of surrenders is a real issue. I know you responded to concerns saying ti could be balanced in some way, but there is no easy way I can see to achieve that. The issue of course is that when such a game ends as a draw, no remaining players will have any points impact but either the surrenders all get away scot free too, or they have to be penalized as today when they surrender a ranked game. If the latter, you will have an unknown set of negative scores with no positive ones to offset that. The result is ratings deflation. Yes of course it would be possible to look at blocks of no draws games and count the surrenders and then share that out with anyone who soloed as a 'bonus' to balance the books, but it is pretty hokey in my view.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (941)
Timezone: GMT

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 15 May 2019, 14:31

With it being in such limited use, I wonder if the better option is just to remove it.
NoPunIn10Did
Moderator (Forums only)

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 15 May 2019, 14:41

NoPunIn10Did wrote:With it being in such limited use, I wonder if the better option is just to remove it.

I would be delighted to do so! As those who remember it arriving may remember, I was against it all along but we did it in the end because some of our players really wanted it and therefore that made it of value. I have no idea if it still has followers though. I know there are groups of friends who like to use it, but I don't think there are a lot of non-friends ones.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (941)

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 15 May 2019, 15:24

super_dipsy wrote:
NoPunIn10Did wrote:With it being in such limited use, I wonder if the better option is just to remove it.

I would be delighted to do so! As those who remember it arriving may remember, I was against it all along but we did it in the end because some of our players really wanted it and therefore that made it of value. I have no idea if it still has followers though. I know there are groups of friends who like to use it, but I don't think there are a lot of non-friends ones.

That, and the solos-only group subforum hasn't been active in 2-3 years.
NoPunIn10Did
Moderator (Forums only)

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Postby asudevil » 15 May 2019, 18:04

Option C — delete it completely
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Strategus » 15 May 2019, 21:21

Fascists! Keep it.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1624
All-game rating: 1775

Postby GhostEcho » 16 May 2019, 00:17

I tend to think a lot of the options could be cut (or at least streamlined) without hurting much at all. This is one of them.

If you are going to keep it, though, the "only reward solos" is a definitely better option, as it lets the game end without intervention if (when) it does get stuck.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1008)
All-game rating: (969)

Previous

Return to Suggestions