harsher penalties for surrendering?

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

harsher penalties for surrendering?

Postby scottyno » 18 May 2021, 10:44

I don't know if there are any, but it really feels like there should be a penalty for surrendering in games. It seems to happen over and over, there are people who will be in a game, and then one bad round happens and boom they're out. No trying to counter a stab or get back in contention, or even just playing out their moves for the sake of the dynamics of the board itself. When someone surrenders it totally throws a game off. I've had it both help and hurt me, and either way it's no fun, who wants to win because they're taking centers from nothing. I kind of get it if it's your last center or the game is clearly over, but these people are surrendering 2 or 3 years into a game when they still have multiple centers and anything can happen.

I also seem to see the same players over and over that are surrendering early on, so there clealry isn't much of a penalty if there's any at all. Any chance of something like: If you surrender X games you can't join a game for a certain number of time, like what happens when you quit early in some video games, or you can't join ranked games, or even your account is banned?
scottyno
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1050
All-game rating: 1698
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: harsher penalties for surrendering?

Postby Phlegmatic » 18 May 2021, 10:55

The best solution to this problem is to join Ambassador Only games.

Players achieve Ambassador status by being reliable and not surrendering. So although it's not a guarantee, it does provide confidence that surrenders will be rare.

Hope that helps!
Phlegmatic
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1484
All-game rating: 1587
Timezone: GMT

Postby drillbit » 18 May 2021, 11:25

I posted a suggestion a couple of years ago about increasing the number of player gradations. I believe there would be a number of positive apsects to this including reducing NMR's & surrenders.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59927
drillbit

Standard rating: (1284)
All-game rating: (1458)

Postby AardvarkArmy » 18 May 2021, 13:49

I COMPLETELY agree that the penalty should be harsh.

The "oh, I'm not gonna win so I quit" surrenders are inexcusable. So are the double NMRs.

One idea: a surrender freezes your account so you can't sign onto any new games for 30 days
SOLOS
ICE&FIRE.1-Martell/EXCALIBUR.1-Angles/EXCALIBUR.2-Scots/EMERALD-Sno/MOD.4-Italy/SENGOKU.1-OdaNobu/S.AMERICA.1-Peru

DRAWS
1930-China/BattleIsleA-Winterfell/S&S-Turkey/WORLD INFL-Venezuela/LECRAE-Dublin/WWIV.2-Cali/IMPERIAL1861.1-Trky/YNGSTWN.1-Grmny/AMERICAS.2-Mex/AFRICAN.2-S.Arabia
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1066
All-game rating: 1418

Postby Custer » 18 May 2021, 14:50

I second this motion.

:ugeek:

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 1135
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Oxmeister » 18 May 2021, 17:20

I'm for encouraging reliability (although I believe this is already done via ambassador and classicist ranks) , but not for penalising surrender.

The issue I have with it is that if there is a penalty, it may deter disengaged players from leaving and a new player replacing them. It is more disruptive if a player who is currently viable with 3+ centers plays out their game by submitting holds/destroys rather than surrendering. I'd rather 1 or 2 turns of pain (NMR's) followed by a competent replacement.
Oxmeister
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1324
All-game rating: 1492

Postby AardvarkArmy » 18 May 2021, 18:17

Oxmeister wrote:I'm for encouraging reliability (although I believe this is already done via ambassador and classicist ranks) , but not for penalising surrender.

The issue I have with it is that if there is a penalty, it may deter disengaged players from leaving and a new player replacing them. It is more disruptive if a player who is currently viable with 3+ centers plays out their game by submitting holds/destroys rather than surrendering. I'd rather 1 or 2 turns of pain (NMR's) followed by a competent replacement.

But:

1) That's a COMPLETE crap shoot - I have been in MANY games in which a replacement never arrives

2) The damage is already done after 1 or 2 turns without a player - a once-viable country is now a fading memory
SOLOS
ICE&FIRE.1-Martell/EXCALIBUR.1-Angles/EXCALIBUR.2-Scots/EMERALD-Sno/MOD.4-Italy/SENGOKU.1-OdaNobu/S.AMERICA.1-Peru

DRAWS
1930-China/BattleIsleA-Winterfell/S&S-Turkey/WORLD INFL-Venezuela/LECRAE-Dublin/WWIV.2-Cali/IMPERIAL1861.1-Trky/YNGSTWN.1-Grmny/AMERICAS.2-Mex/AFRICAN.2-S.Arabia
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Postby scottyno » 18 May 2021, 22:26

Oxmeister wrote:I'm for encouraging reliability (although I believe this is already done via ambassador and classicist ranks) , but not for penalising surrender.

This could potentially be solved by considering submitting all holds as an NMR, since there are very very few situations where a player would only hold everything strategically.
scottyno
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1050
All-game rating: 1698

Postby AardvarkArmy » 19 May 2021, 01:28

Frankly, I don't think I've EVER seen a player stay in a game but issue all hold orders. It's kinda a red herring...
SOLOS

DRAWS
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Postby Latanst1 » 19 May 2021, 11:26

Many of us actually avoid NMR games and enjoy the more natural internal disarray conditions and quicker game play created by irresponsible rulers/players not placing orders and then being expelled from the contest.

If you agree to NMR conditions in a game the delay to the game is a risk that you take. The penalty being requested is already part of the game so while the frustration is understandable the importance some players attach to having each country always have an active player at hand has always struck me as odd and unnatural (kings die, natural disasters coups and revolution occur).

Perhaps give a game with no NMR rule pre-setting a chance to see which you actually prefer?

À Chacun Son Goût!
Latanst1
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1115
All-game rating: 1189
Timezone: GMT+9

Next

Return to Suggestions