starting protocol for new games

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

starting protocol for new games

Postby zeke234 » 31 Jan 2021, 07:42

I have noticed that it takes a week or two to get 7 players together for a new public game. But then, when people are asked to confirm, there is always one that has been on the list so long that they have moved on and are no longer active. Still, it seems that game they signed up for stays in limbo. The recurring request to "please confirm" gets old when there is that one who never confirms.

When a game's "confirm" period ends without everyone confirming, anyone who never confirmed should be dropped from the game and the position opened to others who may be more active.
zeke234

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (978)
All-game rating: (979)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: starting protocol for new games

Postby septante » 31 Jan 2021, 10:27

I think they are dropped. Leastwise that has been my observation.
septante

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 754
All-game rating: 763
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby bard parker » 01 Feb 2021, 08:09

I am pretty sure they are dropped, but I think there are troll accounts that seem to keep adding themselves and then not confirming or NMRing. The problem is avoided with "ambassador-only" games, but can be quite frustrating in regular games. I know the person who doesn't confirm is dropped, but sometimes they come back after a bit (only to not confirm again).
bard parker

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1160
All-game rating: 1185
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby ColonelApricot » 01 Feb 2021, 20:56

When you have waited long enough, make a non-public game and send the password to all that confirmed the old game. Then advertise for another player on the forum.

.. CA
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 997
All-game rating: 1404
Timezone: GMT

Postby zeke234 » 21 Apr 2021, 20:22

septante wrote:I think they are dropped. Leastwise that has been my observation.

Correct. That does seem to be the case.
It is just frustrating when one can't find 7 interested players fast enough to keep some of them from leaving out of impatience, or due to real life.
zeke234

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (978)
All-game rating: (979)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby super_dipsy » 24 Apr 2021, 17:28

I think there is some confusion going by some of the answers. Maybe it would help if I clarified...

If anyone fails to confirm for a game, they are unsubscribed when the timer comes up and the game goes back to 'waiting for players', with the remaining players all still joined. If the game is rank or norank, the unconfirmed player will not be allowed to re-enter the game. So you can never have someone fail to confirm tand then return and do the same again.

If the game has to go back to waiting, then when a new player joins it will go back into confirmation but everyone now needs to confirm again. It may seem silly asking people to confirm, but the reason is that when a game is finally ready to start it is important to make sure everyone still wants to play - otherwise you would find out hte player is no longer interested when they NMR ont he first turn which tends to wreck games.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Suggestions