Speaking of Subs

This is the home for suggestions for site improvements, changes to house rules, and new variants.
Forum rules
It's okay to suggest new rules variants in this forum, but proposing new *maps* should be done in the linked "New Map Variant Proposals & Voting" subforum.

Speaking of Subs

Postby Custer » 27 Jun 2020, 13:22

How bout a variant where we can build subs, like fleets obviously. Say build a sub in Brest. Then in the spring it disappears. Did it go to M Atl? The Channel? Gascony? Picardy? Only the owner (France) would know for sure. And anyone who bounced with it. Like England in the Channel. Then say, every time it shows up in a port (an SC) it surfaces. So if it went to the Channel it would be submerged (invisible) and then to London it would surface and become visible.

Otherwise it would act like any other fleet. But maybe it can't convoy. So if it occupies the Channel, or at least as the enemy you're pretty sure its there, you'd have to move there (Channel) with a fleet (or another sub) and at least one support.

Crazy? Maybe. Possible? Probably.

What do you think?

:ugeek:

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1088
All-game rating: 1052
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Speaking of Subs

Postby Strategus » 27 Jun 2020, 13:29

You could run it as a pbf game. Might be fun.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1546
All-game rating: 1565
Timezone: GMT

Postby Pops2112 » 27 Jun 2020, 17:29

Or - even crazier, and have no idea if it could be programmed - Subs have an Order option of ‘Surface’ at sea, Fleets and submerged Subs can occupy the same sea territory simultaneously and ‘Surface’ is an attack on the Fleet sharing the territory if there is one, so can be supported from adjacent territories like a Move into that territory. An unsuccessful ‘Surface’ attack does not bounce, the Sub is auto-destroyed. Meanwhile, Fleets get a ‘Sonar’ Order option, which destroys any Sub occupying the Territory the Fleet is in irrespective of Support Orders, and can be Supported to Hold vs. conventional attacks from adjacent territories. Subs would also be entitled to Move/Hold/Support while surfaced like a Fleet, so would need to be given Surface Move and Submerged Move or something like that ...

I think I need to get a life ...
Pops2112
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1043
All-game rating: 1043

Postby Custer » 28 Jun 2020, 00:57

I think thats awesome. Now we just need someone to put it together and make it happen. I think it would be fun to give it a go.

I'm in for testing!

LoL

:mrgreen:

Programmer Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!

Postby Woolgie » 28 Jun 2020, 12:45

Sounds awesome. I haven’t run a pbf game for a while so I’ll put something together in a few weeks.
Jon Stark in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire III - Winter is coming
GMing my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
Woolgie
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1058
All-game rating: 937

Postby Custer » 28 Jun 2020, 13:38

You da man!

;)

Custer
Custer
Premium Member

Return to Suggestions