Spyfall

Non-Dip games (such as "Mafia" and "Create Your Own Country") hosted by Forum members.

Spyfall

Postby I Love Italy » 13 Jun 2017, 18:01

Seeing if there would be any interest in doing a game of Spyfall on here. I know there was an unsuccessful attempt last year to start one up, but I'm hoping that now the time is ripe for one to succeed.

I'd be willing to run it if we can get people in. Hopefully 6+.

The rules I'd be using (I'm open to suggestions, I have limited experience with the game, but enough to decently visualize how it would be played on a forum).

Game Rules
1. One player will be designated the spy, and sent a PM saying this.

2. All other players will be sent a PM saying that they are not the spy, and a location they are in.

3. Once I've received confirmation from all players that they've received and understand their role, the game will begin.

4. I will use random.org to select a player to begin the game. This player asks another player a question about the location.

5. When asking a question use the format of name: Question? (With the name huge size, and in the bottom left color, #FF0000).

6. The player who has been asked the question has 24 hours to respond with an answer. There are no guidelines about how you may answer, but make sure to take some time to ponder how to answer in order to best fulfill your win condition.

7. The player who answers asks the next question. They should include the new question in the same post as their answer.

8. If a player thinks they know who the spy is, they may attempt to accuse that player by posting: ACCUSE: player in huge red font.

For the accusation to be successful, the player must get another player to second their accusation. This is done by posting SECOND: player in huge red font. If no seconding is received within 24 hours, the accusation is considered to fail. If two players post accusations of the same player without seeing each others' proposals, the first is considered the accuser, and the second is considered the seconder.

If the accusation fails, the accuser may not accuse the accused again. The accused may be accused again by another player, however and, if this occurs, the previous accuser MAY second the accusation.

If the accusation succeeds, the GM will process the result. If the accused player is the spy, they will be revealed and given 24 hours, from the time of the GM's post revealing their identity, to guess the location. The guess should be made in red, huge, letters, like so Location. They may only make one guess during this time, and their first guess is considered binding. If they're correct, they win the game. If not, the non-spys win. If the accused player was not the spy, the accuser is removed from the game, and may not post in the thread for the remainder of the game.

9. At any time, the spy may reveal themselves by posting SPYFALL! in huge red letters. In the same post, they should make their location guess, in huge red letters, like so: Location. This guess is considered binding, and another guess may not be made. If the guess is correct, the spy wins. If not, the non-spies win.

GM Rules
1. Absolutely copying into the thread, or in a pm to another player, of any pm received from the GM. Doing so will be considered grounds for expulsion from the game.

2. Absolutely no editing of posts. What you say is what you say, so be careful. Editing of posts in the thread will be considered grounds for expulsion from the game.

3. Players may talk at any time in the thread. However, players may not have pm conversations with each other at any point. Doing so will be considered grounds for expulsion from the game.

4. If you need an extension, say so, preferably ahead of time, instead of NMRing. I'll be understanding if you're clear that you'll unavailable for a reasonable length of time, but not so if you leave the game without explanation.

So, is there any interest?

Interested Players:
1. ccloughley
2. Condude1 (August or later)
Last edited by I Love Italy on 13 Jun 2017, 23:31, edited 2 times in total.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Spyfall

Postby ccloughley » 13 Jun 2017, 20:27

I'm willing to give it a go. Might be interesting...
A deal is a deal is a deal until a better deal comes along...

Smile. Smile. Smile. Kill. Smile.
ccloughley

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1018)
All-game rating: (1039)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby condude1 » 13 Jun 2017, 22:47

What's to stop the non-spies from just accusing in a circle, since each accusation clears one player as not a spy, and kills another, half the people making accusations in a row should be enough to guarantee victory, without feeding the spy any information.

Generally, I think it's played better if the non-spies lose on an incorrect accusation, or at least all players involved die, rather than just the accuser. If you're accusing the wrong player, you seriously screwed up.

Unfortunately, I won't be around to play this probably, since I'm going away to Indonesia for a few weeks relatively soon. I'll be free in August though!
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)

Postby I Love Italy » 13 Jun 2017, 23:04

condude1 wrote:What's to stop the non-spies from just accusing in a circle, since each accusation clears one player as not a spy, and kills another, half the people making accusations in a row should be enough to guarantee victory, without feeding the spy any information.

Generally, I think it's played better if the non-spies lose on an incorrect accusation, or at least all players involved die, rather than just the accuser. If you're accusing the wrong player, you seriously screwed up.

Unfortunately, I won't be around to play this probably, since I'm going away to Indonesia for a few weeks relatively soon. I'll be free in August though!

If it still hasn't started by then, I'll count you in!

As for that, that is a good point. I think either putting a limit on turns between accusations (i.e. must wait X questions before another accusation can be made), or your suggestion of killing both people involved both work.

I'm pretty new to this, so I'd like to hear some more feedback before I decide one way or another.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Postby Fuddin » 14 Jun 2017, 00:10

This sounds interesting! How long do you think a game would take?
Never Surrender. Never NMR. Also, screw kingmakers!
Fuddin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1092)
All-game rating: (1097)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby I Love Italy » 14 Jun 2017, 01:03

Fuddin wrote:This sounds interesting! How long do you think a game would take?

I've never played it on a forum before, but the face to face games I've played usually last between fifteen and twenty questions. Assuming about twenty-four hours a question, that'll take two to three weeks. Of course, it could go quicker if people answer their questions quickly.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Return to Other Play-by-Forum Games