Cyvasse: Discussion and Rules

Non-Dip games (such as "Mafia" and "Create Your Own Country") hosted by Forum members.

Cyvasse: Discussion and Rules

Postby Blackfish » 02 Feb 2013, 09:27

Those who know me well IRL know I am a Song of Ice and Fire & Game of Thrones aficionado and if you have spoken with me here on the PlayDip forum before, you might already know that I am obsessed with both the books and TV show. :ugeek:

In the books, a board game is often mentioned. Cyvasse. It's a game that originated in Old Volantis and is played frequently in Essos and Dorne. (God bless George R.R. Martin!) It reminds me of the board game Stratego, in the sense that each unit has a level and can defeat all units below it in level (with some exceptions), though that is were the similarities end. Here are the rules I have found on this website, the ones I will be using for this game:

Game of Cyvasse

Setup
The board consists of an 8 by 8 play area with 64 tiles in total. Each half, referred to as a homeland, is an area of 8 by 4 and is separated at the start of the game by a screen providing sufficient cover so as each player cannot see the other’s homeland. During this phase each receives their tiles and may construct their homeland by placing tiles according the each of the tile’s attributes and considerations as defined below. After the tiles are arranged, players then place their pieces. Once both players have agreed that they are finished the screen is removed and play commences.

Tiles

Mountains x 6 (reddish-brown)
This tile is impassable to all units except Dragons. Ranged units may attack Dragons that are on mountain tiles but they cannot attack through one. If a dragon moves forward until he reaches a mountain, it lands on the mountain and "roosts" there, ending movement for that turn. The next turn, the player can move the dragon from its "roost" or leave it there until needed

Players may not exceed two mountains per row. This prevents mountains from being build into impassible walls. Another problem has been brought to my attention which exposes a loophole that allows you to create a box of mountains in any corner of the map. I will rectify this by adding that you cannot make an unbroken chain of mountains, edge to edge, and you cannot have more than two mountains in each column, as well as row.

Water x 5 (blue)
Water stops a unit’s movement once they enter it. That unit can not be moved next turn and must wait until that turn is passed before it moves again. Trebuchets, Catapults, Crossbowmen can not attack while they are in this tile. If a unit starts in water, it is not affected by the movement penalty, unless moving into an adjacent water space. A ranged you may still not attack as long as it is in the water space.

Forest x 6 (dark green)
A forest tile diminishes a unit’s maximum movement range by one upon entering it. For example: If a light horse, which has a range of three, enters a forest on it’s first move, it may now only move one more space. Forests also make units hidden from enemy dragons, preventing them from being attacked by a dragon, while it is in the forest.

Grass x 14 (light green)
Grass does not hinder or improve any unit’s abilities.

Fortress x 1 (grey (trust me, you'll know which one it is))
A fortress is a tile that provides an occupying unit salvation. If a unit is occupying a fortress and is attacked and would normally be taken, it is instead left in play and the fortress is ‘ruined’ in it’s stead. A ruined fortress cannot be used again in this manner.I will change the icon of the Fortress to a grass icon, once the fortress is "ruined" to avoid confusion. If a melee unit destroys a fortress, it returns to the last adjacent square it was on.

The Units
There are 10 pieces, each with their own unique abilities. Each player receives one of each at the start of the game to place where they wish inside of their homeland. All pieces can kill a piece of their same type or lower, the one ranked above it, and the King. The list below has the weakest pieces at the top progressing to the strongest.
I have added number icons to the pieces themselves to simplify this, so that you don't have to squint to try and figure out what the small picture is.

Rabble - 1
Rabble can move one space at a time.

Spearman - 2
Spearmen can move one space at a time. It cannot be taken by cavalry when defending. If for some reason, the spearman attacks any cavalry, it loses anyway and dies

Crossbowman - 3
The Crossbowman can move one space at a time and can attack in a 1 block radius. Crossbowmen are capable of killing dragons. (Even if the dragon is "roosting" on the mountain, it can still be killed by ANY ranged unit)

Light Horse/Cavalry - 4
The Light Horse can move three spaces at a time.

Heavy Horse/Cavalry - 5
The Heavy Horse can move two spaces at a time.

Elephant - 6
The Elephant can move one space at a time. The elephant does not count as a cavalry unit, though many RTS games say otherwise. Just try stopping a charging elephant with a spear. :P

Catapult - 7
The catapult can move one space at a time and can attack in a 2 block radius. The catapult is capable of killing dragons. (Even if the dragon is "roosting" on the mountain, it can still be killed by ANY ranged unit)

Trebuchet - 8
The trebuchet can move one space at a time and can attack in a 3 block line in the direction it was last moving. The trebuchet is capable of killing dragons. (Even if the dragon is "roosting" on the mountain, it can still be killed by ANY ranged unit)

Dragon - 9
The dragon is capable of traversing all tiles with no penalty. It can move the entire length of the board and is only blocked by the enemy dragon. It can roost on mountains, but it cannot attack units that inhabit forests. If a dragon moves forward until he reaches a mountain, it lands on the mountain and "roosts" there, ending movement for that turn. The next turn, the player can move the dragon from its "roost" or leave it there until needed

King - Crown (Why, Yes! The picture does happen to be the Witch King of Angmar! (I couldn't resist (how else can he kill the dragon?)))
The king can kill or be killed by any other unit. It may move one space. I have added my own rule, that, if the king manages to be the one who attacks the dragon, the King kills the dragon. If the dragon attacks the king, though, the king is killed. Also, the king can move to a mountain to attack a dragon, though, when he kills the dragon, he returns back to the tile he came from to do so. e.g. If the king is on the tile to the right of a mountain, and the dragon is on the mountain, the king can kill the dragon, but does not take the dragon's place on top of the mountain. He returns to the tile to the right of the mountain. (All of this, in the same turn)

Rules of Battle

Movement
Pieces move and attack at the same time similar to chess. When moving you count how many spaces you have moved. This can translate into straight, diagonal or turning movements on the board. This applies to all pieces with the exception of the dragon which must move in straight horizontal/vertical/diagonal paths. Enemy pieces may block your path and need to be removed in order to continue. You move one unit per turn, as of this current version, though I may try another version in which you can move all or several units at once, in future

Combat
Pieces are taken by one player from another by skillful maneuvers across the field. An attack ends movement for that turn. Players may attack their own pieces.

Melee
Melee pieces attack other pieces by moving into and occupying the space of the target piece, which is then destroyed. When a piece is engaged in melee all movement is stopped for the remainder of that turn. This means that you cannot use the light horse to kill the enemy rabble, and retreat hastily, or andvance further to kill a crossbowman. This combat system works like chess, in the sense that once you kill a unit, you must stop movement
Flanking
(I found this rule on a different website and I liked it a lot.)This applies only to melee units. If a unit has two enemy units on either side of it, and one of the enemy units attacks it, the unit in the middle recieves "damage" equal to the combined strength of the two enemy units.
e.g. If the blue team's elephant is between the red team's Heavy Cavalry and Light Cavalry, and either the Heavy Cavalry or the Light cavalry attacks the Elephant, the Elephant will be killed. This does not apply to dragons, as we assume the dragon can fly...
If there is a tie, the single unit wins.
e.g. If the Light Cavalry and the Rabble flank the Heavy Cavalry with the Rabble attacking, the Heavy Cavalry wins and kills the Rabble. (Don't get your addition wrong! :) )

Ranged
Ranged pieces (Crossbowmen, Catapults, Trebuchet) do not have to move to attack but can target and remove appropriate pieces that are within their range. I take this to mean that the ranged units can move AND attack in the same turn, should they choose.

The website doesn't say anything about being able to shoot OVER units, to hit one behind it, but I will make it so you can. It makes no sense otherwise.

End GameThe game ends when one player’s king is killed. (That was easy!) If a player is in a position to threaten the enemy players king, he must declare "Cyvasse", identical to saying "Check" in chess.

GM RULES

I will be running the game with a 3 day period for turns, leaving ample time.

I have added coordinates to the map, exactly like chess. Players will PM me with the coordinates of the terrain AND units, in their half of the map, and I will update the map in the PLAY topic. (The setup orders are due 6am GMT, Tuesday, February the 5th) after this, players will start by posting their orders in the PLAY topic, one move at a time. I have already explained that I will update the map as frequently as humanly possible.

No complaining about the aesthetical aspect of the game! (Especially the units, I know they doesn't look good at all, but they work!)

Here is the PLAY topic. Please do not post there unless you are the players mentioned below. Should you wish to discuss the game, leave it in THIS topic!

Players:
1. Zadaron
2. pjkon

Reserves/Next Game
1. mr bump
2. asudevil (possibly?)
3.mat.gopack
Thanks for reading and showing interest!

The game is over, and has resulted in a draw, although it was really just a test run, so there's that.

Okay, I will be updating the rules in preparation for Version 2, sometime this month. This means that soon, this thread will become redundant
Last edited by Blackfish on 14 Feb 2013, 12:29, edited 22 times in total.
"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war." - Plutarch

Game History
Blackfish

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+10

Re: Creating Cyvasse: Help Wanted!

Postby Fatmo » 02 Feb 2013, 09:47

I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere that GRRM actually based that game on some game called "Feudal".

This is, in fact, a variant of Diplomacy, and a couple of versions of it can be found here:

http://www.variantbank.org/results/variantsf.asp
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Blackfish » 02 Feb 2013, 09:54

Fatmo wrote:I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere that GRRM actually based that game on some game called "Feudal".

This is, in fact, a variant of Diplomacy, and a couple of versions of it can be found here:

http://www.variantbank.org/results/variantsf.asp

That's an interesting game, with some similarities and rules that interest me, though, unfortunately, not what I am looking for. Thanks a lot, though. :)
"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war." - Plutarch

Game History
Blackfish

Postby mr bump » 02 Feb 2013, 13:51

Hi Blackfish,

An interesting concept. I have not read the books so am not at familiar with any of the stories/characters. However I have recently got back into using paint.net for creating simple diplomacy style maps. I am by no means an expert but I would like to help if I can.

mr bump
mr bump

Veni, vidi, percussit.
mr bump

Standard rating: (970)
All-game rating: (873)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Blackfish » 02 Feb 2013, 14:11

mr bump wrote:Hi Blackfish,

An interesting concept. I have not read the books so am not at familiar with any of the stories/characters. However I have recently got back into using paint.net for creating simple diplomacy style maps. I am by no means an expert but I would like to help if I can.

mr bump

I am using Adobe Fireworks, as I don't have paint.net, but this seems to be working fine with me. :D

Can I put you down for a signup?

Game History
Blackfish

Re: Cyvasse: 1v1 game, Players Wanted

Postby Zadaron » 02 Feb 2013, 16:08

I'll play! From what i remember the books are pretty vague about how the game works, but these rules seem fun!
Genghis Khan wrote:The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters
Zadaron

Standard rating: (991)
All-game rating: (1416)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby pjkon » 02 Feb 2013, 22:52

Consider this post a signup if you aren't looking for any specific type of player.
It is better to have scs then allies, assuming something aproaching equal combat power in each

Your credibility with eliminated powers is irrelavant

Keep your allies happy enough that they stay allies

If you are receiving a message from me ignore this signature
pjkon

Class: Diplomat
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Blackfish » 03 Feb 2013, 00:26

pjkon wrote:Consider this post a signup if you aren't looking for any specific type of player.

Not at all. anyone can play.

Game History
Blackfish

Re: Cyvasse: Discussion Topic

Postby asudevil » 03 Feb 2013, 03:43

Let me know if you play another game of this.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Cyvasse: Discussion Topic

Postby mr bump » 03 Feb 2013, 03:51

I'll give it a go as long as the rules are sorted out. So sign me up
mr bump

Veni, vidi, percussit.
mr bump