NMR , surrender and other

Miscellaneous information about using the site.

NMR , surrender and other

Postby nodasz » 30 May 2020, 12:09

Hello friends. As i am a very old player from the old judges and email dip times i recently joined this site, i find it extremely interesting and i immediately became a premium member just to support you in this fantastic effort. My warmest congratulations for this.

Now,i want to clarify some things. I apologise if my questions are stupid.
1. when a player surrenders himsel the power continues with all its units to hold ?
2. when a player misses the deadline the game stops untill a replacement is found or something else happens ?
3. in a game i play i saw no surrender but a power has all his units to hold. This seem strange to me . What happened, he ordered that so or he missed the deadline, or he surrendered ? Because it seems strange to me that someone logs in but orders only holds to all his units and nothing more.

Sorry for my newbie questions. I would appreciate an answer. Again many congratulations for your effort.
nodasz

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (964)
All-game rating: (964)
Timezone: GMT+2

Re: NMR , surrender and other

Postby Strategus » 30 May 2020, 12:33

nodasz wrote:Hello friends. As i am a very old player from the old judges and email dip times i recently joined this site, i find it extremely interesting and i immediately became a premium member just to support you in this fantastic effort. My warmest congratulations for this.

1. when a player surrenders himsel the power continues with all its units to hold ?
2. when a player misses the deadline the game stops untill a replacement is found or something else happens ?
3. in a game i play i saw no surrender but a power has all his units to hold. This seem strange to me . What happened, he ordered that so or he missed the deadline, or he surrendered ? Because it seems strange to me that someone logs in but orders only holds to all his units and nothing more.

Sorry for my newbie questions. I would appreciate an answer. Again many congratulations for your effort.

1. Depends on if the player entered orders before surrender. If they auto surrendered because of failure to enter orders then yes, they will leave holds.

2. Depends on whegher it is a protected game. If not it goes to CD. If protected it does not process and waits for a new player for 24 hours, then I think it processes.

3. You get one freebie nmr. Two consecutive and you are auto surrendered. In protected games two times any time and you auto surrender. But also if a player enters one hold order for one unit it will not nmr.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1580)
All-game rating: (1754)
Timezone: GMT

Postby V » 30 May 2020, 12:41

nodasz wrote:Hello friends. As i am a very old player from the old judges and email dip times i recently joined this site, i find it extremely interesting and i immediately became a premium member just to support you in this fantastic effort. My warmest congratulations for this.

I hope this answer is complete & ifnot someone will notice the omissions.
1. Yes, except if the player entered orders for the turn in which he surrendered, those orders are executed at deadline.
Many folks have got caught out by assuming all will hold & didn’t.
2. No, in a standard game if a player fails to enter orders (NMR) everything just continues without their contribution.
If the player does this on two consecutive turns, they are automatically surrendered.
The game continues without them & their units hold (civil disorder).
We have “protected” games however (a choice made during game creation) in which an NMR results in an extended grace period during which it is hoped the absent player/s gets their orders entered.
If a player commits any 2 NMR’s in these games they are automatically surrendered.
There is then another extended period during which it is hoped a replacement is found.
3. This happens when a player NMR’s (see above) or as a ruse. It can be rather cunning, indicating the player has gone awol only to suddenly reappear with an unexpected strike.

Welcome back to Diplomacy. Hope this helped & you enjoy your games here.

Best Regards V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1769
All-game rating: 1827
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby nodasz » 30 May 2020, 13:04

Thanks. I think i understood.
nodasz

Standard rating: (964)
All-game rating: (964)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Jack007 » 30 May 2020, 15:42

Just two follow-up questions, I ask myself since quite a while:

1. If I don't give in any orders, but finalize, will it count as a NMR?
and
2. If I don't give in any orders, but refresh order list, will it count as a NMR?

I did not dare to try it out.. :roll:
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007
Premium Member

Location: Greece (Monemvasia Peloponnese) ⛵ Instagram @jack060856
Standard rating: 1529
All-game rating: 1626
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby V » 30 May 2020, 16:38

Jack007 wrote:Just two follow-up questions, I ask myself since quite a while:

1. If I don't give in any orders, but finalize, will it count as a NMR?
and
2. If I don't give in any orders, but refresh order list, will it count as a NMR?

I did not dare to try it out.. :roll:

1. No
2. Yes (almost sure, try it :D )
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1769
All-game rating: 1827
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Jack007 » 31 May 2020, 02:43

Okay thanks V, that makes sense. Let's keep No. 2 open, as I won't try it out for the moment. :)
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007
Premium Member

Location: Greece (Monemvasia Peloponnese) ⛵ Instagram @jack060856
Standard rating: 1529
All-game rating: 1626
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby lsfinn » 19 Jul 2020, 00:19

Hi - I'd like to bump this topic with a question that falls under the general rubric of the topic title "NMR, surrender and other".

First, some background. All my previous Diplomacy experience has been f2f games: PlayDip is my first experience with non-f2f play.

With that as preamble, here are my questions:

* How common is it for players to just surrender? In the game I'm currently involved in we've had four Italys, three Austrias, two Russias, and two Turkeys. The lack of continuity is a challenge, which I'm not familiar with from f2f play, that clearly will take getting used to.

* I understand that the site "penalizes" players for surrendering. Currently we have a power who appears to have "resigned", by which I mean the power has not surrendered but is just issuing hold orders for all units. Presumably this is to avoid the surrender/nmr penalty. How common is this?

No judgement here: I'm just trying to understand the culture and mores of the PlayDip online community. :?:
--
lsfinn
lsfinn

Timezone: MDT

Postby sroca » 19 Jul 2020, 03:06

It's definitely a sliding scale based on rank vs norank and whether you're game has a password or not. There's an entire group called the Classicists here whose ranking model is based on your consistency as a player.

Depending on how much you want to guarantee good opponents you'll want to add more restrictions. Don't be discouraged though. What I usually do is just make a post in the forum asking for players after making a game. People who are more active on the forum which usually translates to more active in general will see it and you'll get reasonable reliability without having to tightly control who has access to join your game.

I don't think the second is too common.
Hebrews 3:7-8a (ESV)
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Please donate funds to the site for its extended operation. Here is the link: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/premium.php
sroca

Standard rating: 1088
All-game rating: 1261
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby super_dipsy » 19 Jul 2020, 07:39

lsfinn wrote:* How common is it for players to just surrender? In the game I'm currently involved in we've had four Italys, three Austrias, two Russias, and two Turkeys. The lack of continuity is a challenge, which I'm not familiar with from f2f play, that clearly will take getting used to.

As sroca said, it can be a little more common with unranked games than ranked ones, but the best control is the site's Player Class system. All players start as Diplomats. Once they have STARTED AND FINISHED three consecutive rank or norank games (ie no surrenders) then they become Ambassadors. You can specify on a game creation that it is an Ambassadors Only game, or you could password protect the game and then only give out the password to Ambassador players. Note that if an Ambassador surrenders in a game, they immediately srop back to Diplomat.

lsfinn wrote:* I understand that the site "penalizes" players for surrendering. Currently we have a power who appears to have "resigned", by which I mean the power has not surrendered but is just issuing hold orders for all units. Presumably this is to avoid the surrender/nmr penalty. How common is this?

If a player chooses to continully submit Hold orders, he has that right. It is pretty rare though - sometimes someone will do it once to try to convince other players that they have gone away before suddenly moving again. However, what you MIGHT be seeing is someone who has indeed walked away but has not yet been autosurrendered. A player is autosurrendered if they do not submit orders at all for two consecutive orders phases.

There are a couple of other points if you are trying to find more reliable games. Password-protected ones tend to be more reliable, see the forum for people advertising these. Also, Premium games (such as different maps etc) tend to be more reliable.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)
Timezone: GMT

Next

Return to Information