Viewing Old Game's PMs

Miscellaneous information about using the site.

Viewing Old Game's PMs

Postby maxsmith » 05 Jun 2017, 21:16

I was curious if it was possible to view old/archived game's messages between countries? If not, would it be a reasonable feature request (something that would be even considered)?

Cheers!
maxsmith

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Viewing Old Game's PMs

Postby asudevil » 05 Jun 2017, 21:37

It has been brought up and rejected because people generally don't want their PM's public. Things they say...how they say it...you already can go "research" your opponent and see who they prefer to ally with in prior games...the ability to see exactly what they say to each person allows you to have WAY too much information in how they play.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1437
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby maxsmith » 06 Jun 2017, 00:36

Completely fair. Thanks for the quick reply. :)
maxsmith

Postby Wethalon » 06 Jun 2017, 01:46

Follow-up question: I would like to download as a text file my own message records from completed games - as a record of the communication tactics that I may or may not want to use again. Would that be an option that could be considered? I believe the competing site has such a feature.
Wethalon
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1838
All-game rating: 1926
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby MichaelG » 06 Jun 2017, 01:53

Yes, I'd be interested in being able to see my own messages (sent and received).
MichaelG

Postby asudevil » 06 Jun 2017, 02:07

MichaelG wrote:Yes, I'd be interested in being able to see my own messages (sent and received).

You can see your own...for about 3 months before they get wiped to save server space.

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby asudevil » 06 Jun 2017, 02:07

Wethalon wrote:Follow-up question: I would like to download as a text file my own message records from completed games - as a record of the communication tactics that I may or may not want to use again. Would that be an option that could be considered? I believe the competing site has such a feature.

It would be possible...but we currently have no "easy" way to do this. Which site has this feature...WebDip?

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby MichaelG » 06 Jun 2017, 10:20

asudevil wrote:
MichaelG wrote:Yes, I'd be interested in being able to see my own messages (sent and received).

You can see your own...for about 3 months before they get wiped to save server space.

Ah, so the reason I can't see them is that they got nuked. OK, that makes sense.
MichaelG

Postby super_dipsy » 06 Jun 2017, 12:38

it is something we have toyed with. I have just let it slide :(. Maybe it is time to reawaken it.

What I was planning was that we have installed the libraries to create ODFs, and at the end of the game I was thinking we could create a PDF of all the moves, the maps and your own messages sent and received. This could then be emailed to you for your own records, for you to keep for posterity. But it is quite a bit of work.....
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931

Postby Wethalon » 06 Jun 2017, 13:52

asudevil: I thought Webdip had this feature, but now I am not sure. They do have a "Global" option that allows you to see all communication with all powers in one screen. That seems like a step in the right direction. I don't know if the contents of that scrollable frame can be saved (I am not on webdip myself), but if it can, that would do the job.

superdipsy: I'm thrilled to hear that you considered this, and I would definitely be willing to pay extra for such a service. I would personally love to have a map-based record of the play-by-play. However, maybe something less involved would already be great, just to have an "All sent and received" option in the message window.
Wethalon
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1838
All-game rating: 1926
Timezone: GMT-5

Next

Return to Information