Questions on Name Changing

Miscellaneous information about using the site.

Questions on Name Changing

Postby Morg » 08 Apr 2015, 04:31

So a few questions (I assume general questions go here).

1. When a player changes their name, does their old name suddenly become available for the next person who creates or recreates it? For example if I changed my name to Smorg and a new player decided to become Morg, would they be able to take it or would it be unavailable?

2. This issue doesn't come up as much in main site games because all the comms are country to country and not player to player, but it would be plausible if still unlikely that someone might try this in a forum game. I'm wondering what the forum's or the moderators' thoughts are on deliberate impersonations.

For example if I am playing against Asudevil, and Janepeg. They are allied against me. I deliberately change my name to AsudeviI (with a capital i instead of the l) and pm Janepeg to confirm our moves. Would it be safe to say that a player who deliberately changes their name in order to impersonate another player is cheating? I'm leaning towards yes it is, but I want to see what the others think before I run with it.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Questions on Name Changing

Postby WHSeward » 08 Apr 2015, 04:59

I would say anything that is not trying to deceive a GM is fair game. Attempting to deceive a GM gets you ejected from a game.

That written, I don't think name change is going to be very effective given you are only allowed 1 name change per year. It might work once, but it will get found out shortly after you try it and then what? Whats more, you will own that name for your troubles for the next 12 months.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)

Postby I Love Italy » 08 Apr 2015, 05:32

Unique idea. But, like Seward said, probably impractical.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)

Postby Gavrilo Princip » 08 Apr 2015, 07:52

Haha! Fooled you all! That first post wasn't Morg at all, but me! I've been posing as Morg all this time and just changed my name back. And I left him a bizarre avatar on my way out. :twisted:
~Gavrilo Princip
Silver Classicist
Gavrilo Princip
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1183)
All-game rating: (1240)

Postby super_dipsy » 08 Apr 2015, 08:33

Morg wrote:So a few questions (I assume general questions go here).

1. When a player changes their name, does their old name suddenly become available for the next person who creates or recreates it? For example if I changed my name to Smorg and a new player decided to become Morg, would they be able to take it or would it be unavailable?

No. This would cause too much confusion, so if you try to change your username to one that someone else had used but subsequently changed, you will get the same error you would if you chose a username that was in use.

Morg wrote:2. This issue doesn't come up as much in main site games because all the comms are country to country and not player to player, but it would be plausible if still unlikely that someone might try this in a forum game. I'm wondering what the forum's or the moderators' thoughts are on deliberate impersonations.

For example if I am playing against Asudevil, and Janepeg. They are allied against me. I deliberately change my name to AsudeviI (with a capital i instead of the l) and pm Janepeg to confirm our moves. Would it be safe to say that a player who deliberately changes their name in order to impersonate another player is cheating? I'm leaning towards yes it is, but I want to see what the others think before I run with it.

I may be wrong here, but I don't think the site has any official rules for forum game play. These would be defined by that section of the forum. Having said that, I am sure most people would agree that changing your name to something that looks like someone else would be a rather pathetic attempt to cheat. In fact, I would vote to kick anyone doing that off the site but not for cheating; for being so stupid to try it :) . Remember that when you change your username on site, it also changes (as long as the code is working properly) on the forum too. So from the moment you change it, every post you have ever made suddenly appears with the new name. So if you are involved in a game and tried this trick, I am not sure you would be able to stop everyone else in the game dying of laughter. And as WHS said, remember that by changing your name you are taking your new name up for the next 12 months....

Just FYI, the forum side name change only affects places where there is a pointer to the user's name as opposed to text. So for example, all posts change name because next to the post is the author block and this points to the user's name which will therefore be replaced. If you had written in a post 'And I think Morg is a god', then even if Morg changes name to Hermione that text retains Morg. Obviously, if you care about this sort of thing (for example if you play a lot of forum games and want to be recognized on a leadership table or something) then you don't change your name :) . or you DO and then go and ask the owner of said post to edit it and change your name :lol:
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Postby rick.leeds » 08 Apr 2015, 08:48

I'm with WHS and Dipsy. We also have rules, although aimed at the main games site, about maliciously impersonating another member. I think the situation Morg brought up goes under that. It wouldn't be pushing things too far to say the same thing for PbF games and the short set of rules we have for playing on the Forum.

I also agree that it's impractical. If we'd let people change their usernames willy-nilly (um, that might be a UK-ism = whenever they wanted ;) ) then changing a username to do this and then changing it back would be possible. As it is, if I change my username I'm stuck with it for a year... and we have records of previous usernames, anyway.

Perhaps the more problematic thing about username changes is that, whilst the records stay with the new name (if I changed my name to dick.leeds, for instance - which I'm sure some would say is more appropriate ;) - my stats stay with me and my name changes on Forum posts), any lists saved in drafts or, which GMs and TDs have, need to be changed to reflect this.

What I'd say is that it would probably be best if, when members are involved in PbF games, tournaments etc, they should update the person responsible. If they don't, of course, the chances are that they are going to miss out on communications but, perhaps more importantly, a GM who suddenly sees a different username involved in their game, PMing them, etc is going to want to know what's happening. If nothing else, it's irresponsible to expect a GM to run around trying to find who the mysterious 'dick.leeds' is.

Might be worthwhile suggesting to people that they put contacting the GM in rules for their games if a player changes his username.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Alman » 08 Apr 2015, 12:33

super_dipsy wrote:If you had written in a post 'And I think Morg is a god'......,

he writes, not knowing that on the World Influence forum game Morg is indeed referred to as a god, or at least a Dark Lord.......

Thank you for this Dipsy, made my morning. :D :D
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Morg » 11 Apr 2015, 18:27

Alright cool,

Good to know that the old username is not available for reuse.

I mostly was looking for a sound board to bounce the idea off of. I very much agree that it's impractical, but on technical grounds impersonation is against the rules, but yeah, considering the limitations of it, it's not worth getting super worked up over.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)

Return to Information