NMR statistics

Miscellaneous information about using the site.

Re: NMR statistics

Postby socratease » 04 Mar 2015, 10:11

super_dipsy wrote: I checked a few examples to make sure, and the Active Games count seems fine; it does includes Regular, Anon countries, PPO, Gunboat. I suspect you have forgotten that it includes all games except Anon Players. So unlike the finished stats it includes unranked games as well as ranked ones. The Anon Players exception was added recently in response to a Suggestion because if it were included, madly keen players with vast amounts of time could actually detect when a regular anon-p player had just joined an anon-p game ;) (If you are interested, you can find the suggestion in the Suggestions forum).

Thanks dipsy, I read that request/suggestion when written, and the Active Games stats are now wildly inaccurate as a result. Not sure what was gained by rendering that Statistic so bogus, but bogus it is. The Active Games stats are now completely BS if *any* games are excluded.

By the way, so are "finished games" although that has been a problem since the new scoring system was implemented. ALL GAMES ever played on the site are included, rather than those scored under the current system, which in some cases is altogether misleading, and which bear absolutely no relationship to solo / draw, abandon or NMR rates.

super_dipsy wrote:
socratease wrote:Number of logons per day is a complete BS stat too, so don't look to it to give you a sense of how much attention any player is giving his games.

Again this is untrue in terms of the first statement, although the second is not unreasonable. The number is not BS - it is simply one figure divided by another. It may be you are confused because in fact we do not count logins across the entire life of the player; that would be horrific, so we only look a month back. What the code does is count the number of logins in that period and the time from the first one to now. Division gives the logins per day. Now it is not unreasonable to observe that people should not rely on this number too much; I would prefer to remove it entirely. The reason is that depending on how you work your windows and whether you allow cookies etc, one person may do a huge amount in a day with only one login whereas another may create new login entries all the time. So it is not a true representation of involvement. Perhaps the best that can be said is that if the number is > 0 , then that player has been around at some point in the last month :lol:

I know this: I logged on not once for several days last week to either Forum or Games sides, but when I did log in again yesterday I saw my "logon" stat increased from 1.09/day increased to 1.29/day. That is BOGUS.
socratease

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1715)
All-game rating: (1958)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Darkshade » 04 Mar 2015, 14:43

Thanks for clearing this up!

If it's a conscious decision, then that's fine I guess. I'm not about to get into the whole equal footing argument here.
If it wasn't, then I just wanted to bring that to someone's attention.

Thank you socratease and super_dipsy!
Darkshade

Standard rating: (1688)
All-game rating: (1683)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby JonS » 05 Mar 2015, 06:57

As someone who regularly pulls NMR statistics for Classicist applications, I would like to politely voice support for maintaining the current system. Having a live, accurate view of player consistency is very helpful to us, particularly (as discussed) since games can last for quite some time.

But I am amazed and impressed that this was even considered... (ie - statistics monitoring to spot the fake NMR). We have some sick and beautiful minds in this playdip family of ours...
“Find an ally who will die for you, and see that he does just that.”
The immortal Richard Sharp

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
House Tyrell in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire
JonS

Standard rating: (1557)
All-game rating: (1606)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Darkshade » 05 Mar 2015, 07:11

JonS wrote:But I am amazed and impressed that this was even considered... (ie - statistics monitoring to spot the fake NMR). We have some sick and beautiful minds in this playdip family of ours...

Why thank you so much. It's been a while since I've been paid such a high compliment.
Darkshade

Standard rating: (1688)
All-game rating: (1683)
Timezone: GMT-5

Previous

Return to Information