NMR statistics

Miscellaneous information about using the site.

NMR statistics

Postby Darkshade » 03 Mar 2015, 19:05

When are NMRs reflected in the player statistics? Immediately after they happen in a game? Or after the game has been completed?
Darkshade

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1688)
All-game rating: (1683)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: NMR statistics

Postby gareth66 » 03 Mar 2015, 19:08

Immediately.
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Darkshade » 03 Mar 2015, 19:13

The reason I ask this question is because it just occurred to me that there might be a way to see the difference between 'intentional hold' orders and NMRs. If a player has 2 NMRs on a certain date and then he/she appears to hold all his/her units, one could just check his/her statistics to see if an additional NMR has occurred. Of course, since the player could be playing multiple games and there might have been an NMR in ANY of the games, one cannot be certain. Yet even this uncertainty can be removed partially by researching their active games.

The problem with this is not so much that it makes the 'intentional hold' strategy ineffective but that only premium members are allowed to see player stats, if I'm not mistaken. Doesn't that give premium members some advantage over non premium members? Isn't that something that should be fixed?
Darkshade

Postby charliep007 » 03 Mar 2015, 20:32

Wow. Just wow. Darkshade, I think you just took commitment to another level.
charliep007

Standard rating: (2340)
All-game rating: (2310)

Postby Carebear » 03 Mar 2015, 23:53

Darkshade wrote:Isn't that something that should be fixed?

By fixed, do you mean something like waiting to update stats until game completion?
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Darkshade » 04 Mar 2015, 05:33

Yeah. I wonder if they could be updated after the game so that everyone is on an even footing.
I just think that everyone should have access to the same information whether premium or not.

Perhaps I should put this in the suggestion forum...
Darkshade

Postby Darkshade » 04 Mar 2015, 05:38

charliep007 wrote:Wow. Just wow. Darkshade, I think you just took commitment to another level.

This is why I stopped Diplomacy a year back to focus on other things. It took too much of my time putting in the effort to research in detail each and every opponent...:P
Darkshade

Postby Carebear » 04 Mar 2015, 05:55

Darkshade wrote:
charliep007 wrote:Wow. Just wow. Darkshade, I think you just took commitment to another level.

This is why I stopped Diplomacy a year back to focus on other things. It took too much of my time putting in the effort to research in detail each and every opponent...:P

Knowledge is power.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby socratease » 04 Mar 2015, 06:03

Darkshade wrote:Yeah. I wonder if they could be updated after the game so that everyone is on an even footing.
I just think that everyone should have access to the same information whether premium or not.

I don't think non-premium can see stats anyway, whether updated immediately or after game completion. Premium is encouraged by premium having greater access (to number and types of games, tourneys, stats). I'm with you on wanting accurate stats available to all, but TPTB decided way back to foil both (i.e. accuracy and access).

By the way, looking for "aha, he has no other Active Games but his NMR just went up" is unreliable, since the stats on Active Games are now complete BS - they no longer show any games except Regular (i.e. not Anon Countries, Anon Players, PPO or Gunboat), so in reality you can have absolutely no clue how many games any player has going.

Number of logons per day is a complete BS stat too, so don't look to it to give you a sense of how much attention any player is giving his games.
socratease

Standard rating: (1715)
All-game rating: (1958)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby super_dipsy » 04 Mar 2015, 09:46

Darkshade wrote:Yeah. I wonder if they could be updated after the game so that everyone is on an even footing.

Feel free to do that, it is quite easy to change. The reason that the NMR rates are currently shown 'live' rather than at the end of a game is that often games can go on for weeks or months. If you are worried about a player's NMR rate, the view was you want to see the rate as it is now rather than what it was like during the game which lasted n months and only know that at the end (if you see what I mean). But it could be changed, it just makes it less valuable.

On the point of putting everyone on an equal footing, Stats is consciously offered to premiums only, but then you can become premium for as little as one dollar. Typically the sort of players prepared to put in the effort to examine stats of players in games are those that are the most committed and will probably be therefore premium ;) . As for anyone saying that they cannot become premium because they do not have a Paypal account or perhaps parents wont sanction such things, there may be hope for you all in the very near future...watch this space!

socratease wrote:By the way, looking for "aha, he has no other Active Games but his NMR just went up" is unreliable, since the stats on Active Games are now complete BS - they no longer show any games except Regular (i.e. not Anon Countries, Anon Players, PPO or Gunboat), so in reality you can have absolutely no clue how many games any player has going.

I am afraid this is just not true. I checked a few examples to make sure, and the Active Games count seems fine; it does includes Regular, Anon countries, PPO, Gunboat. I suspect you have forgotten that it includes all games except Anon Players. So unlike the finished stats it includes unranked games as well as ranked ones. The Anon Players exception was added recently in response to a Suggestion because if it were included, madly keen players with vast amounts of time could actually detect when a regular anon-p player had just joined an anon-p game ;) (If you are interested, you can find the suggestion in the Suggestions forum).

socratease wrote:Number of logons per day is a complete BS stat too, so don't look to it to give you a sense of how much attention any player is giving his games.

The number is generated by counting a player's logins during the last month, and then comparing that against the time from the first login in that period to now. So it is not wrong per se, but since depending on browser and aching choices some players will do a lot with only on login in a day whereas others will use many logins, the number is not of great value.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931

Next

Return to Information