Playing with multiple variants simultaneously

Miscellaneous information about using the site.

Playing with multiple variants simultaneously

Postby droptablestar » 13 Feb 2015, 02:03

Hello, just became a premium member to play with some of the game variants and I've noticed that only 1 game type and 1 game variant can be selected. Is there anyway to combine these? For example 'Fleet Rome' and 'Build Anywhere' or 'Anonymous Players' and 'Gunboat' or some such combination.

Thanks!
droptablestar

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1077)
All-game rating: (1032)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Playing with multiple variants simultaneously

Postby super_dipsy » 13 Feb 2015, 08:05

I think you may be a bit confused about the game create process. You can generally select whichever options you want and combine them. The only thing you can't do is combined the same type of option. So for example you cannot select map variant of Fleet Rome and map variant of Ancient Med. You can't select Gunboat and Public Press. That is because these combinations make no sense. There are on or two combinations that are restricted, but these are rare. For example, you cannot create a shorthanded game that is also a map variant game.

So in your example, you can certainly create an Anonymous Players Fleet Rome game with Build Anywhere if you wish.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Postby droptablestar » 13 Feb 2015, 21:33

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I am a bit confused about the create game mechanism. For both 'Game type' and and 'Game variants' I see a single drop down menu which has the option to only select one of the items inside of it. How would one go about selecting 'Fleet Rome' and 'Build anywhere' since they are located in the same drop down menu.

Thanks again.
droptablestar

Postby super_dipsy » 14 Feb 2015, 07:35

Ooops sorry - when you said Fleet Rome I took it as Milan :lol: so it is ME who is confused! Hardly anyone ever plays Fleet Rome now Milan is available as a map choice, because it is a much better way of dealing with the Italian imbalance in the original game. I actually thought we had removed Fleet Rome as an option. Yes, you are right, you cannot choose Fleet Rome and Build Anywhere because they are on the same tab. My bad. If you want to play Fleet Rome and Build Anywhere, I would recommend you play the Milan map with Build Anywhere since it is a better option, but you cannot choose that combo.

So to be clear, you can usually mix country selection, fog, stuff, map choice, negotiations-related choice and starting unit/centres choices, apart from a few specific exceptions. Sorry for the confusion in my first answer; actually it is a good reminder that Fleet Rome still exists as an option and has not been removed yet :)
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT

Postby droptablestar » 14 Feb 2015, 14:28

No worries. Thanks for the reply...I suppose the next thing to do is check out some of the maps :)
droptablestar

Return to Information